Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first supercharged car. I have been reading a bunch of threads and havent found anything describing the cooling system..i am just wondering about how the whole system works with the intercooler/heat exchanger,h/e pump and endplate thing in the mix now. also is the coolant for the radiator the same as h/e because im low on the resevoir at the front of my engine and want to add coolant but not sure what i should use.. i understand how air blows over the radiator to cool it and all that junk just not sure about the new supercharged parts..

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
this is my first supercharged car. I have been reading a bunch of threads and havent found anything describing the cooling system..i am just wondering about how the whole system works with the intercooler/heat exchanger,h/e pump and endplate thing in the mix now. also is the coolant for the radiator the same as h/e because im low on the resevoir at the front of my engine and want to add coolant but not sure what i should use.. i understand how air blows over the radiator to cool it and all that junk just not sure about the new supercharged parts..

radiator is a diff system then ur h/e system

radiator cools the engine section

then ur h/e keeps ur supercharger cooler along with the endplate to the lil bottle in front of the supercharger...

as goes for ur fluid use regular dex,unless u switched over like i did to the green stuff...

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
:deep breath:

ok,

boosted air is heated because of the compressive forces. it becomes less dense. less dense air is less powerful. you want to cool the boosted air to make it denser to make a bigger bang in the engine.

the supercharger squeezes air into the intake manifold, where it passes over four tubes (called laminovas) that have coolant running through them. heat is transferred to the coolant in the laminovas to cool the boosted air. the coolant in the laminovas flows to the front of the car where it goes through its own little radiator, which we call a heat exchanger or intercooler. cool air blowing through the intercooler cools the coolant so it can go back to the intake manifold. a dedicated electric water pump is used to move the coolant through this system.

the intercooler system is separate from the regular engine coolant system. they have separate fill locations (the big tank and the rear of the engine bay on the driver's side is the engine coolant and the little Tee at the front of the engine bay is for the intercooler)

both use 50/50 dex-cool and water and should be flushed approximately every 60-100,000 miles.

the only common component between the two systems is one fuse, which powers the intercooler pump and the engine coolant level sensor. a loose wire at the intercooler pump can short this fuse and cause "low coolant" message in the instrument cluster.

however, the temp gauge in the instrument cluster is only for the engine coolant and does not reflect the performance of the intercooler system. for that, you will need an inteceptor scan gauge or similar.

performance upgrades to this system include: an additional heat exchanger (commonly found from cobra mustangs) dual-pass end plate (changes the coolant path through the laminovas) and option B (adds a larger coolant reservoir to the system)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sweet videos ... wonder how much time it took to draw those... I have done some CAD work before and some 3d rendering ... but couldnt possibly imagine drawing somthing this complex

EDIT: one question tho ... does the engine coolant have a separate pump

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks so much for the info..quick question though where is the endplate located cause i wanna switch to the dualpass endplate with the opt b and all the goodies. new h/e blah blah

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,890 Posts
ok thanks so much for the info..quick question though where is the endplate located cause i wanna switch to the dualpass endplate with the opt b and all the goodies. new h/e blah blah
Its connected to the right side of the intake manifold. Your stock 4-pass endplate will have two ports on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts