Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
correct install?

I just put in an Autometer Ultra-Lite II boost gauge and a Husky catch can. Please let me know if they're in correctly.

I also have some questions about the boost gauge. What are we supposed to be idling at? I'm about 20Hg in vacuum. Plus in 1st gear I’m not getting any positive pressure unless I really step on it. Is this normal?
And I do get the 10-12psi that our cars max at so I know the gauge is working. I checked all the connections and epoxy-ed them that there would be a tight seal.

For the catch can I used 7/16th fuel line and 3/8th connectors that I clamped down. I ran the hose that way because fuel line is not really supposed to bend/corner. Is there any way to check if it leaks? And how much are you guys collecting.

Attachments

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,890 Posts
I am not a big fan of all that extra hose with your cat-can setup. Here is a pic of how mine was setup.

As far as your boost gauge goes, it looks like it is installed correctly. 20hg at idle is perfectly normal. And if you are running the stock tune, you are going to need to stomp on it to get boost. That is the way the tune is designed.

·
F_ck Bates
5,376 Posts
g.m. u dont have a breather on ur motor anywhere. i see the stock oil cap and u have the non breather husky mod? ur dip stick dont shoot out?

·
16,890 Posts
g.m. u dont have a breather on ur motor anywhere. i see the stock oil cap and u have the non breather husky mod? ur dip stick dont shoot out?
That is an old pic.

I am still running my oil cap breather and I am not running the Husky Catch can anymore.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I just put in an Autometer Ultra-Lite II boost gauge and a Husky catch can. Please let me know if they're in correctly.

I also have some questions about the boost gauge. What are we supposed to be idling at? I'm about 20Hg in vacuum. Plus in 1st gear I’m not getting any positive pressure unless I really step on it. Is this normal?
And I do get the 10-12psi that our cars max at so I know the gauge is working. I checked all the connections and epoxy-ed them that there would be a tight seal.

For the catch can I used 7/16th fuel line and 3/8th connectors that I clamped down. I ran the hose that way because fuel line is not really supposed to bend/corner. Is there any way to check if it leaks? And how much are you guys collecting.
that's a lot of need less hose for the catch can.

no matter how bad I wanted something installed I would have never cut the dash. if you moved that gauge a little further forward all that line would have went in the cover you mounted it to. and if you upgrade to a dual column pod it would have covered every thing.

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
We don't have any problems with our dipstick either. When we had problems it was cause we blow a ring landing and the pressure was going in to the crank case.

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
Some people just get a little more blow by then others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used all that hose because I didn't to mount it close to the engine. I was worried the plastic might melt from the heat. Will it?

I've never heard of any over pressure from the cat-can that'll cause the dipstick to pop out. Shouldn't it be the same amount of pressure originally, just with a bulge in the hose?

And should I be worried about oil/etc building up in the incline of the hose? Will it pool there and back everything up? Would it be better to just mount it somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Yeah hide it somewhere, a couple inches away from the motor is all you need. Don't worry about oil building in the line, no problem. If you have a lot of oil in it like that, you have excessive blow by or a problem like laser had, and should do a compression test. I just ran my hose straight down and hid the can way down low. I don't have a hose to the intake, it's just for emissions bs, I don't want that dirty vapor going into my intake...

·
F_ck Bates
5,376 Posts
well i never had the problem no matter how hard i pushed the m62. but the tvs moves a ton more air then the m62 does. so after i dropped pulleys on the tvs i was getting alot of pressure in the crank case. i used the oil cap breather and that helped. then i went to meth and pushed up the timing and it got worse. then i was on my way to get a catch can and the motor blew due to a faulty block that was built for me. most are fimilar with this story. so ill see what happens when it goes back to stock this weekend.

·
16,890 Posts
what would make the dip stick shoot out? I understand pressure, but why would it be in the head or block?
thats what I figured. but i never figured Eric to put a "band-aid" on it
I never had a problem with my dipstick popping out.

well i never had the problem no matter how hard i pushed the m62. but the tvs moves a ton more air then the m62 does. so after i dropped pulleys on the tvs i was getting alot of pressure in the crank case. i used the oil cap breather and that helped. then i went to meth and pushed up the timing and it got worse. then i was on my way to get a catch can and the motor blew due to a faulty block that was built for me. most are fimilar with this story. so ill see what happens when it goes back to stock this weekend.
I installed one because of the TVS.

The TVS makes peak HP between 7200-7400rpms. That is about the maximum point where the stock valve springs are effective. They are only rated to about 54# so above 7200ish the valves might start to float. If the valves are floating and not closing all the way some of the pressure from the combustion chamber will escape into the valve cover.

So I did it as extra insurance because there are times when I spun my engine to 7400 on the TVS.

Its not really necessary on the M62 since the M62 makes peak hp around 6500. There really is no reason to spin the engine to 7400 unless you are near the end of the 1/4 mile and don't want to shift into 4th.

·
16,890 Posts
Ah I see thanks Eric.
That is a good question though. A lot of people think they are only good when your car is having problems.

If I ever upgraded to 78# valve springs I would consider taking it off.

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
I wasn't meaning you directly lol. I was just asking so when you want to bolt that turbo adder to your supercharger?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts