Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe all of that has to come apart anyway, so it should just be the cost of the parts, plus maybe an additional hour of labor, which, when you're going to be paying 2,000+ already, really doesn't make that much difference. What is the cobalt final drive vs. redline final drive? The redlines are 4.05. I'm assuming you want shorter gearing, but how much shorter are the cobalts?

EDIT:
After more research, everything i've found says that both the cobalt and the redline have 4.05's. Do you know somethign i don't? or maybe it was different on the early model redlines?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
05IsAlive said:
I believe all of that has to come apart anyway, so it should just be the cost of the parts, plus maybe an additional hour of labor, which, when you're going to be paying 2,000+ already, really doesn't make that much difference. What is the cobalt final drive vs. redline final drive? I though the redlines were like 4.10 or something like that. I'm assuming you want shorter gearing, but how much shorter are the cobalts?
That's what I figured. The cobalt's is a little shorter, I edited my previous post to reflect the ratios.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the #'s you posted are right, the cobalt's are actually taller, which would give you better fuel economy, but slower acceleration. Larger #'s = faster acceleration.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
05IsAlive said:
If the #'s you posted are right, the cobalt's are actually taller, which would give you better fuel economy, but slower acceleration. Larger #'s = faster acceleration.

That shows how much I know about transmissions. thanks. :confused:

That might make a good mod for the Cobalt guys then.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
When I get the LSD put in, how difficult would it be to have them swap out the RL's final drive with the Cobalt's? Rl is 4.05:1 and the SS is 3.94:1
DazednC
FYI
The Cobalt SS and the RL have identical gearing and final drive numbers.
The spec you are quoting is a "known error" on the Chevy web-site showing the Getrag ratio numbers for the SS as opposed to the F35.Try checking out the Cobalt gear ratios at GM Canada web-site (under specifications)instead...these are correct
http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/2005/chevrolet/cobalt/coba_opti.html
Installing the Quaiffe LSD is a major undertaking that currently even your Saturn (or Chevy for that matter) dealer cannot currently perform unfortunately, as it requires a significant number of special tools from Saab that were not shipped to dealers as "essential".
SO
About your only option would be to have a Saab dealer do it is it's their gearbox AND they have the tools. The transaxle ha to be completely dissassembled to gain access to the final drive. (well the shafts dont need to be pressed apart, but you know what I mean)

HTH
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
... and I think that I read somewhere that the only other final drive ratio for our trans currently is like in the mid 3s. That would turn the Red Line into a 16 second wonder, but top end would be close to 170 MPH or there abouts.
Roger That
3.82:1 to be exact
WOT

·
Registered
70 Posts
Evidently some dealers can do the LSD install. Someone on this forum has already had the LSD installed. I don't know what type of dealership it was (maybe saab?), but i know they had it installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts