Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With heavy heart, I expect that the number of posts from me will decrease. Thanks for your advice, support, guidance and entertainment. The insurance claim is still being processed, so not too many details yet. If I discover where the vehicle remains are being sent, I will post the information; perhaps someone can salvage the seats and rims from a junkyard. I was able to walk away, so the Ion did sacrifice itself to protect me; thank heavens for 5* crash ratings.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Icon said:
With heavy heart, I expect that the number of posts from me will decrease. Thanks for your advice, support, guidance and entertainment. The insurance claim is still being processed, so not too many details yet. If I discover where the vehicle remains are being sent, I will post the information; perhaps someone can salvage the seats and rims from a junkyard. I was able to walk away, so the Ion did sacrifice itself to protect me; thank heavens for 5* crash ratings.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Glad that you are OK, what in the hell hit your car?

Mark

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
yea i think i missed something, good to see you're alright though :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
RL vs. Concrete Barrier

mailmars said:
Glad that you are OK, what in the hell hit your car?

Mark
The whole event is a little unclear to me (alcohol not involved); but I recall swerving to avoid another vehicle that was merging to my lane, sliding through the shoulder and hitting the concrete median at highway speed. Luckily, no one else was in the car and the vehicle came to rest on the shoulder. The other vehicle that I avoided did not stop; I'm not even sure they saw me, but luckily police and a tow truck were there moments later. My neck is a little sore but mainly, I feel sorry for the car. Thanks for the concern. Maybe Freakazoid can chop my car at the A-pillar and weld it with the vehicle from the mysterious exploding car wash.;)

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Icon said:
The whole event is a little unclear to me (alcohol not involved); but I recall swerving to avoid another vehicle that was merging to my lane, sliding through the shoulder and hitting the concrete median at highway speed. Luckily, no one else was in the car and the vehicle came to rest on the shoulder. The other vehicle that I avoided did not stop; I'm not even sure they saw me, but luckily police and a tow truck were there moments later. My neck is a little sore but mainly, I feel sorry for the car. Thanks for the concern. Maybe Freakazoid can chop my car at the A-pillar and weld it with the vehicle from the mysterious exploding car wash.;)

YES!!! my kind of man!! hehe jk, but i am glad to see you weren't hurt that could have ended poorly, gotta love saturn safety :)

although I think that also goes to show that if someone is merging into your lane you should actually hit them? maybe? especially since they didnt' stick around, might have been a lesser accident (nah i'm not ripping on you cause I would have done the same thing ;))

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
btw if you need a helping hand with getting back on your feet i'll gladly help with whatever I can from the whole way over here, if it's a few bucks ;p accidents suck

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freakazoid said:
YES!!! my kind of man!! hehe jk, but i am glad to see you weren't hurt that could have ended poorly, gotta love saturn safety :)

although I think that also goes to show that if someone is merging into your lane you should actually hit them? maybe? especially since they didnt' stick around, might have been a lesser accident (nah i'm not ripping on you cause I would have done the same thing ;))
In my driving class, the instructions during emergency manouevers were to input minor adjustments to the steering wheel and to keep your head pointed at where you want to direct the car.

I'll wait to see how the insurance claim works out before making any future decisions. One of the front runners is a Relay (I know it's a minivan:eek: ), as my wife would like a vehicle with three rows for hauling all the items associated with our 1-minus-a-day year-old (see avatar).

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Icon said:
In my driving class, the instructions during emergency manouevers were to input minor adjustments to the steering wheel and to keep your head pointed at where you want to direct the car.
first thing you learn when you get on a bike too ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Freakazoid said:
btw if you need a helping hand with getting back on your feet i'll gladly help with whatever I can from the whole way over here, if it's a few bucks ;p accidents suck
Thank you kindly for the offer! I'll be fine. My vehicle was fully insured (to my knowledge they need to repair the vehicle to "as new" condition) which is why they did not attempt to repair the ion. I have a rental vehicle (2006 Impala [great car but not as much fun as the SS that I drove for a few days]) while the claim is being processed, and my employer is fairly generous when it comes to my compensation. Also, I still have my beautiful and understanding wife and precious son, so I'm starting to re-evalutate how lucky I am.

Not to anthromorphize too much, but when I dropped by to pick up my stuff I was saddened to see the Ion. The bumper and other plastic pieces from the front of the vehicle had fallen off in front of the car and the headlights were dangling on either side. The Red Line looked very hurt, lonely, tired, blind, confused and depressed :( , and if you had asked me at that moment whether or not to repair it or write it off, I would have probably said "Just bring my baby back to me, no matter what the cost!":eek:

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Icon said:
Thank you kindly for the offer! My vehicle was fully insured (to my knowledge) which is why they did not attempt to repair the ion. I have a rental vehicle (2006 Impala) while the claim is being processed, and my employer is fairly generous when it comes to my compensation.

Not to anthromorphize too much, but when I dropped by to pick up my stuff I was saddened to see the Ion. The bumper and other plastic pieces from the front of the vehicle had fallen off in front of the car and the headlights had were dangling on either side. The Red Line looked very hurt, lonely, tired, blind, confused and depressed :( , and if you had asked me at that moment whether or not to repair it or write it off, I would have probably said "Just bring my baby back to me, no matter what the cost!":eek:

good to hear about things working out in terms of transportation and insurance, first accident i ever got in i had to pay everything out of pocket, freakin killed me.

and yea seeing your totalled car is depressing :( that's why it's good to remove yourself from the situation though, I know you'd be upset later when you realize that it won't ever be the way it was before

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Freakazoid said:
good to hear about things working out in terms of transportation and insurance, first accident i ever got in i had to pay everything out of pocket, freakin killed me.

and yea seeing your totalled car is depressing :( that's why it's good to remove yourself from the situation though, I know you'd be upset later when you realize that it won't ever be the way it was before
Going to and from work used to be one of the big highlights of my day, but you are correct; I don't think that it is possible to return the Ion to pristine condition. Lots of good times that I'll sorely miss, though!

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your accident and resulting financial burden. Hopefully you're back in the black now!

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Icon said:
Going to and from work used to be one of the big highlights of my day, but you are correct; I don't think that it is possible to return the Ion to pristine condition. Lots of good times that I'll sorely miss, though!

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your accident and resulting financial burden. Hopefully you're back in the black now!

ya that was what almost a year ago now? it was money I was saving up for a newer car, or to use towards college or something, got in an accident because I was a dumbass and just really sucked. you always could get another RL by the way ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Shitty your Ion is wrecked, but you are okay and that's all that really matters.

I was looking forward to meeting you and checking out your RL at one of our Cobalt meets, now Im never gonna get to see a damn RL in person :mad:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Man that sucks, glad your okay (I almost had a similar event..damn non-sticky winter tires...thank god for wide roads, no traffic beside me and generoulsy large shoulders/gravel area's).

Sucks that the Ion is toast, but you still have your family and your life and that is the most important thing, cars can be replaced.

And screw the Relay, Redline Vue...hahah

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
sorry to hear this icon. on the plus side, all of our cars just became rarer. I feel like a large percentage of owners are on these forums, relative to other performance makes and models, and we will know about many of the accidents of other RL's, seems kinda weird. anyway, icon, hope you can get your life back together and everything in your life seems better now.

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy that crashes one of these things!!

j/k Icon I'm glad to hear your ok, thats all that really matters.:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Toronto SS said:
Shitty your Ion is wrecked, but you are okay and that's all that really matters.

I was looking forward to meeting you and checking out your RL at one of our Cobalt meets, now Im never gonna get to see a damn RL in person :mad:
Actually, if you're in town on the 25th, Mase will be displaying his Ion with coil-overs, intake, grill, and 18" rims in the J-Body Performance Display at Sport Compact Nights.

·
Registered
389 Posts
oh man, those pictures really tell the story. Seems way different than our phone conversation....you could of easily got killed!! But I guess your a lucky guy.

I agree with Xerostate, go with the Vue RL...but the 04/05, I'd say it looks better. But still try to get the RL comp. if the wifey lets you.;)

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Wow, I am sooo glad you walked away from that. That picture is a testimony as to Saturn safety. But you are well enough to go back to your family is a beautiful thing. And I hope you get things worked out with your insurance to get a replacement, because repairing that one, I don't know it seems to me at least wouldnt be/feel the same

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hate seeing anyone get into an accident. IT's best to loose the car than be seriously hurt. At least you were alone in the car and help arived for you not too soon after. As a father myself it makes me cringe at things like this. Take care man....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts