Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm considering trying to attempt to make a cai for my car it doesn't look to hard but is there anything critical i should know before hand? i'm just not willing to pay the amount of money these people want for an intake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
playboy said:
i'm considering trying to attempt to make a cai for my car it doesn't look to hard but is there anything critical i should know before hand? i'm just not willing to pay the amount of money these people want for an intake
yeah okay well thanks anyway!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Welll

Well...a custom one would take more work than you think. I just installed mine today (K&N CAI) and I can tell that alot of work went into making it. Just the right welds and bends, i know i wouldn't be able to do it but i'm only sixteen and dont know the first thing about making mandrel bends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Redline686 said:
Well...a custom one would take more work than you think. I just installed mine today (K&N CAI) and I can tell that alot of work went into making it. Just the right welds and bends, i know i wouldn't be able to do it but i'm only sixteen and dont know the first thing about making mandrel bends.
Cool I am glad you got it in.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
There's nothing to it, bend the pipes, put it on. You didn't get many replies, cause there's nothing to reply, sorry. You just need to bend pipes to get it where you want it, and make a spot for the MAF sensor to connect to. If you don't have the stuff, or are gonna have to pay someone to do the bends and welding, you're gonna spend the same amount. Maybe more... if you have the equipment, then you just need to buy some tubing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Yah

Chazb said:
Cool I am glad you got it in.
Yah just installed today after school...it is VERY loud. It has a nice sound to it. I havn't gotten used to it yet and whenever i accelerate i get that huge grin like on christmas day. I love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sp00ner said:
There's nothing to it, bend the pipes, put it on. You didn't get many replies, cause there's nothing to reply, sorry. You just need to bend pipes to get it where you want it, and make a spot for the MAF sensor to connect to. If you don't have the stuff, or are gonna have to pay someone to do the bends and welding, you're gonna spend the same amount. Maybe more... if you have the equipment, then you just need to buy some tubing...
no i have access to all that i will need i was just curious is all if it was more in depth than just bending pipe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
playboy said:
no i have access to all that i will need i was just curious is all if it was more in depth than just bending pipe

Yes, it will be more in depth.

You need a place to mount the MAF which (more than likely) means you'll have to have a flat surface on the front to do that (ie. weld a small square piece on the front somehow, drill and tap mounting screw holes and drill a hole for the sensor to fit through).

It will be a bit more than just bending a piece of pipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JPK said:
Yes, it will be more in depth.

You need a place to mount the MAF which (more than likely) means you'll have to have a flat surface on the front to do that (ie. weld a small square piece on the front somehow, drill and tap mounting screw holes and drill a hole for the sensor to fit through).

It will be a bit more than just bending a piece of pipe.
hell i'll try it i don't think it'll be too hard... so long as i make sure to keep the maf though!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
playboy said:
hell i'll try it i don't think it'll be too hard... so long as i make sure to keep the maf though!!!
It's harder then it seems......making the bracket for the sensor is the hardest part. http://www.geocities.com/korax234

I think my price is pretty cheap and your going to go through a lot of headache making your own if you don't know much about fabricating.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top