Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wanted to let you all know that I just got a custom AEM intake put on my RL. I went to a performance shop, and they modified a WRX intake and installed it on the Saturn. It sounds AWESOME!!! The owner even spoke of possibly making more if I could find some interested people... ;)
I'll try to get some pics and audio posted in the next day or two

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
cool man, PICS soon

did you have to cut out the air box to do that, or was it basically just a metal pipe that replaced the rubber tube that is stock.

where did u mount the MAF, was there a place to screw it in?

ok i think thats all i got for now just need some pics to ans my other little things.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, basically,
the stock air box was cut out. Since the AEM intake is at a 90° angle, it was simply taken and basically turned upside down (fits like stock intake). To prevent air from getting past the MAF on the AEM intake, the stock MAF was reused instead. I'll explain: The new filter was placed into the top of the original intake, and a piece of the old intake tubing was used to couple the filter to the AEM pipe. To create a vacuum, a hole was drilled in the AEM pipe and a barb was placed inside. The hose easily fits over it, and voila, suction. The wires for the MAF also had to be lengthened a bit.
Tomorrow, the guy is going to cut and weld the AEM pipe so that there is no hole where the MAF should be (the original hole in the pipe meant to be used for the MAF is still there). It also needs to be shortened a bit because right now, the filter is VERY low to the ground. He also mounted a bracket for the intake. And by the way, the sound of the supercharger is ridiculous.
Only problem is the check engine light came on, but that is easily solved. It’ll get fixed tomorrow with the rest.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
sounds like you achieved the same thing as removing the stock airbox and using a K&N filter. would like to see pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Custom Intake

IeatRice said:
Hey just wanted to let you all know that I just got a custom AEM intake put on my RL. I went to a performance shop, and they modified a WRX intake and installed it on the Saturn. It sounds AWESOME!!! The owner even spoke of possibly making more if I could find some interested people... ;)
I'll try to get some pics and audio posted in the next day or two

When you put your custom intake on how much more louder did the supercharger whine?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tek said:
At WOT mine sounds like a Ferrari. I just need to find time to get audio of it.
I love Ferraris. Just wondering, what did you do to your performance wise?

Anthony

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tek said:
My airbox is completely open. Only thing that remains is a part of the box as a heat shield for the transmission. Only thing I have done right now.
And it sound like a Ferrari, if so... ASWOME, and thanks, so if I get one I'll do that.

Anthony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts