Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys if you bought the LEDs for your dash you may have to bend the tabs closer together to get them to work. BECAREFUL AND DO NOT FORCE THEM WHEN TURNING THEM. The LEDs are a tight fit. If they do not light at all flip them 180 degree and reinstert them. This should get them to work.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes trust me I iknow this first hand

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes be very careful. As I can't get a refund and can't give a refund on these LEDs. I'm not making any money on these. I just wanted to give everyone a chance to have these. I have them in my car and there working fine. So please be careful with them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I got mine tonight, can't wait to install them. One thing, why the warning? Did something catch on fire...

Tom

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No they broke the tabs. Thats why I posted the warning. I can't replace them since this is a one time thing. When you guys paid me I paid the guy to get them. So if you break them your out of luck. I hate to be that way but. I was not out to make money on this. Since the mod is hard to do I was trying to get this to everyone since these LEDs worked for me. What I can do if you can't get this to work is send me the old bulbs and the leds and I will fit them to the orginal fitting. I know this means you will be with out dash lights but thats the best I can do. I'll test them out before I send them to you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So are these not a direct fit? Or they are, but they only go in one way and forcing them in the wrong way will break them?

Tom

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Just got mine in the mail.

I'm gonna go install them now.

Tom, I think what he is saying is that the tabs (+ and -) are spread a bit too far apart for us to just slap them in but you can CAREFULLY bend them together a bit more so they fit right in.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
****!!!!!!

Man, those tabs are cheezy. First light I tried to put in I barely bent the tab and it snapped right off. I got two lights installed and on the last one, I had to bend one tab twice to try and make it fit and then IT broke off.

I have two blue lights installed so my tach and speedo each light up half white and half blue.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
BTW- I was VERY, VERY careful with these things since I had read this warning already and they still broke off. I was thouroughly suprised I was able to get two of them on and that's only because I did not have to touch the tabs at all.

Rick, I'm probably gonna send you the two leds with the broken tabs and two of the originals so you can swap the bulbs out for me. Does that offer still stand?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea sure does. Sorry guys for having all the problems with these LEDs. I'm not going to sell any more unless I get something better.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
SaturnI0Nredline said:
Yea sure does. Sorry guys for having all the problems with these LEDs. I'm not going to sell any more unless I get something better.
Hey dude, it's not your fault. You are working on getting us some custom stuff and that's always commendable around here. Props to you, man.

Trial and error is the only thing we have as Saturn owners it seems. :p

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Ok, I have taken the liberty of pulling the leds out with the resistors still in tact and pulling the stock bulbs out of the original housings.

I may go purchase a cheap soldering iron tomorrow and attempt this one myself.

I'll let you guys know how it goes because my soldering expirience is very slim.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yea I think I may try and do this myself also. I've soldered plenty of times before so I should be fine but we'll see heh Also I second the not your fault and props to you for atleast getting them made jsut a shame the tabs had to be so brittle :( oh well atleast you tried!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Actualy I think I'll sehnd this stuff to you. :) Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Could someone that's attempted it post a pic of the two mountings side-by-side? I want to make sure I know what I'm up against before I start taking apart the wife's car :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
bbrazil said:
Could someone that's attempted it post a pic of the two mountings side-by-side? I want to make sure I know what I'm up against before I start taking apart the wife's car :)
I don't have pics but I can say that if they don't fit and you have to bend the tabs, they are more than likely gonna break off. I had two bulbs that fit right in without having to touch them, but the two that didn't go in right away, the tabs broke off on me when I tried to move them to correct the problem.

Your best bet is to try and put them in and if the ones that don't fit you should swap out the bulbs with the original housings. It will take some soldering skills and some tedious work with tiny parts. Rick has offered to do the swap for us so if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I suggest you send them to him.

I got one light done last night and would have had the other done but I broke the resistor off of it so I need to go to Radio Hack and buy a new one and try again later today.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Well, I got the speedo and tach completely blue. The gas and temp though, I busted off one of the terminals on the LED bulb while tryin to put it in the stock housing!!! :mad:

It's off to radio hack again to get a new bulb. :(

Anyone know what msd the leds we got through this deal are? I don't want one side to be too dim or bright.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
how easy is it to get to get the gauges and stuff off, and to get to where u wanna install the lights. im gonna do this tomorrow and am just curious about it. thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts