Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 4 blue LED lights to brighten up and make my dashboard more eye catching. i currently have the lights placed in front of the plastic glass pointing to my speedometer/tachometer/ect, the lights have more than enough wire length to reach the back passanger 12v plug, and thats where i currently have it plugged into. i want to hide the wires by running them under the dashboard and behind the headunit/radio dash and down underneath the middle console on the passanger side to where the plug in is at. i know how to take of the radio dash by pulling on the airvents until the pop. but i dont know how to take off the overhead dash panel covering the 'ometers. any suggestions? is it best to just lightly pull up until it pops?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
there is one screw that needs to be removed. it is accessed from the stereo bezel. when you have the bezel off look under the top section at an angle, there is a screw that reaches towards the gauge cluster. after that screw is gone, pull and the cluster bezel will come off. I would consider tapping the radio power. its closer and you don't have to go far. it will power them every time the radio is on. if not pulling the bezel under the shift boot will get you from the stereo hole to the 12v outlet. its just snapped in.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Yes pull up on it all around the edges, you can gently pry up with like a small flat screw driver or a butter knife until you can manage to get a grip on it, THEN (this is the important part) there is one small screw/bolt it the very front underneath. Remove that and it will be free. You may not need to remove the front screw just to run wires, might be able to just sneak them in there nicely...

EDIT: Paul beat me to it, lol! I actually have this part off right now, I'll go snap a few pics with my phone, brb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh, okay thanks. yeah i started pulling up and then i noticed the screw. i love the idea about tapping the 4 wires to the radio so i dont have to flip the on and off switch every time, but i have little experience in stripping and splicing wires. do you mind explaining how to do that? and also explain where the radio power is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, that first picture is what my car currently looks like :p im taking a break and seeing if tranced will reply with intructions. but if not, then im going to just do my normal plan of 12v on/off switch.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
I cant' remember which colors on the stock radio harness are what, but it's usually red would be 12v+ and black = ground, but it's been a while since I've messed with mine. All you need to do is take a DMM and probe/test til you find the proper wires. As far a splicing, I always solder. Just peel back the insulation, wrap wires together tightly and solder, then insulate with heat shrink whenever possible, or just wrap tight with electrical tape. Now I know a million people will say to just use crimp connectors, but I don't. Why? because a crimp will always fail EVENTUALLY. You could just run the wires to an empty spot on the fuse panel as well...

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I have not been behind my head unit in a long time. I think its a pink wire. check it with a tester

easiest way would to use one of these bad rascals

Im not too sure of the best way but I would tap a short wire to the pink wire using the above tap. I would twist your four wires into a butt connector and crimp it to the short wire you are adding.

make sense?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i went ahead and hide the wires for now. i stuffed the wires up under the bottom middle console flap on the passanger side and removed this little bottom center panal under the radio on the passanger side and tugged the wires snug then i snuck them up along side the radio and pulled them through the cluster bezel 'ometer display opening and attached the bezel back. then after i put the lights in place, i re-attached the headunit dash and the under passanger side panal back... but i'll keep tapping idea in mind when i replace my radio so i dont have to constanly turn on and off the lights. but for im happy with it, so no need bothering with it right now.
its been a pretty good project considering its my first..
thanks for the help. i probably would have broke somthing without yall, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts