Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think some of you have done some de-badging of sorts...

what methods have you used to remove things from the vehicle, like the 'ION' on the back end, and maybe the symbol beside it?

I read that someone recommended using a hair dryer, what do you use to remove any leftover goo without damaging the finish?

what other 'de-badging' have you done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
the crappy thing is the saturn logos on the side are inlayed, it would look sweet no logos what so ever on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... and what about painting the saturn emblems to match the colour of the car?

somebody has done that too right?

did you just paint over the red bits on the car?
or did you remove or disassemble the emblems first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
atwilson said:
... and what about painting the saturn emblems to match the colour of the car?

somebody has done that too right?

did you just paint over the red bits on the car?
or did you remove or disassemble the emblems first?
Use the search. I know there was a thread about how to do it, but it was a while ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Heat the badges up with a hair dryer then when their warm use fishing line to cut them off. You can use your fingers after that to get the rest of the doubleface tape off or I use a eraser wheel on my drill (insta-Off)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I bought a large piece of thin, flat carbon fiber that I'm going to put over the red in the hood badge and fender badges...in my spare time. I've had the stuff for two months now, it hasn't happened yet.

The best thing to remove adhesive is 3M Adhesive Remover - it's spendy, but a little goes a long way, and you can get it at most paint supply stores. Alcohol (rubbing) works OK, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
I bought a large piece of thin, flat carbon fiber that I'm going to put over the red in the hood badge and fender badges...in my spare time. I've had the stuff for two months now, it hasn't happened yet.

The best thing to remove adhesive is 3M Adhesive Remover - it's spendy, but a little goes a long way, and you can get it at most paint supply stores. Alcohol (rubbing) works OK, too.
The carbon fiber sounds like a great idea. I might have to try that one day if I get the energy and motivation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
The hood piece should be easy. The fender badges require removing the fender liners and unbolting the badge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
The hood piece should be easy. The fender badges require removing the fender liners and unbolting the badge.
Just be careful when removing the hood decal. The chrome part is very cheap and flimsy plastic, it can easy crease over and then you are screwed. That is what happened to me. Guess I'm going to have my buddy at the dealer pic me up some new badges so I can just make them black, and then put them on...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Just wondering, are you trying to debadge it for the sole purpose to make people think it's just a plain ion? If so, no offence, but it's obvious what the car is with the blower whine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's actually primarily for my own 'odd' satisfaction.
i just like the clean n simple look of removing any little stickers n things if possible.

distractions!

i'm not concerned about what other people might think about it,
and like you say, people that know cars can figure out what it is pretty darn quickly anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Cool - thanks for the word. At this rate, though, I'll get this carbon fiber project done Summer of 2007.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
... The chrome part is very cheap and flimsy plastic, it can easy crease over and then you are screwed. ...
Second that. I don't think I have ever seen a cheaper looking hood emblem.


matt said:
Just wondering, are you trying to debadge it for the sole purpose to make people think it's just a plain ion? ...
Besides a cleaner look, I hate cleaning and waxing around lettering. Unless it's a quality item that adds to the looks of the vehicle, I say leave it off.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top