Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from the finance guy at the dealership. He says he made a mistake and put my car down as an 05 instead of 04, and as a result, the bank has sent back the contract. The bank says they won't finance an 04 at the rate and term that I agreed to. The car is new, but an 04.

Now, the dealership will absorb the cost of an increased rate, but I must come in and sign new papers agreeing to a shorter term. This means a higher monthly payment.

All my paperwork, including the security agreement, refers to the car as an 04, so I don't know where this is coming from.

Anyone experience something like this before?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
I've never had that happen to me, but if the dealership called me after I already signed the paperwork to and told me my payment was going to be more I'd thell them to come pick the car up and shove it up their asses. A deal's a deal, it's not your fault the dealership screwed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
think about the otherside of the coin..

not that your wrong at all though, i totally understand where your coming from, they screwed up, it shouldnt be your problem. if you wanted to you could say, same deal or no deal.

and try and find an 04 elsewhere and get a newer new car.

good luck bro, hope things work out.

keith-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
max_boost said:
I've never had that happen to me, but if the dealership called me after I already signed the paperwork to and told me my payment was going to be more I'd thell them to come pick the car up and shove it up their asses. A deal's a deal, it's not your fault the dealership screwed up.


The bank would not take the loan and nobodys perfect.People do make mistakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
true, im a salesman, belive me the salesman isnt sleeping well at nite

he is getting some sort of bonus for moving an 04 and he wont make a penny if the deal falls through hes probably near tears by now

keith-
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
My rommate brought home a 1996 Grand Am from the Kia dealer, a week later they called him and told him the loan wouldn't clear, and he had to bring it back. It happens. The dealer did put him into a brand spanking new Kia Sephia.... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,708 Posts
If they wanted a deal, I'm sure the dealership could make it happen. What is on your copies of the forms, '04? If it's on paper with your signature, then that's your deal. They should eat their mistakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
When you leave the dealer with a car the deal isnt officialy done, the dealer still has to submit the paperwork to the people actually giving the money for there ok. the finance company can change there mind for any reason. The dealer has no control of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Sp00ner said:
It happens. The dealer did put him into a brand spanking new Kia Sephia.... :rolleyes:
That's funny because a guy I work with went and bought a used stratus last year. A week later he is called and told to bring it back. (he had terrible credit) They wouldn't sell him the stratus but instead put him in a brand new neon base model with no options. The thing I couldn't understand was... his payment was the same with the neon! He let me look over his contract, they charged him 19% interest!!!!!! I was like "WHAT!!! Did you buy the car with a credit card?!"

If your paperwork says '04... IMO the dealer should eat it! But if it doesn't, that's actually on you for not reading the contract befor eyou signed the papers.

Josh
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
purplesl2 said:
That's funny because a guy I work with went and bought a used stratus last year. A week later he is called and told to bring it back. (he had terrible credit) They wouldn't sell him the stratus but instead put him in a brand new neon base model with no options. The thing I couldn't understand was... his payment was the same with the neon! He let me look over his contract, they charged him 19% interest!!!!!! I was like "WHAT!!! Did you buy the car with a credit card?!"

If your paperwork says '04... IMO the dealer should eat it! But if it doesn't, that's actually on you for not reading the contract befor eyou signed the papers.

Josh
Yea, it's easier to get the financing on a new car, rather than a used one. The Kia that they put my buddy into was more expensive, but since it was new, and a Kia, they could get it through... He was so upset, I felt so had for him. The Kia was a POS too, falling apart by 5,000 miles, and everything that was wrong with it was coincidentally not covered in the warranty...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I received a call from the finance company after I bought the car, and they said that they were told it was an 05. I verified to them that it was and 04 and they said ok and corrected the mistake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On my signed copy of the promissory note and security agreement, the car is listed correctly as an 04, so I don't yet know where the mistake was made.

I'm hoping this will get resolved quickly and without much dispute, but I certainly don't want a higher payment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Oh yeah that happened to me but it wasnt because of a typo but because of my beacon score. The dealership thought I had a higher one than I actually had(how I dont know) but they called me a week later and said that they couldnt get it done. By this time I had already drove to Indiana and back and had put over 2k miles on it. They about shit themselves and the owner of the Saturn dealership took the Manager of the lending company out to lunch and asked her for a favor, get me financed. That day I drove home in my RL with lower interest rate and they ate an additional $2k dollars off the sticker price. Got lucky. If that had been a used car I would have been screwed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
What if the shoe were on the other foot? Could you take your car back to the dealer and tell him, "I'm sorry but the finance rate you signed me at was a little higher than I'm willing to pay. You need to re-write this contract, 'I will TRY to absorb some of the costs, but this rate is too high". The dealer would LAUGH you out the door. Next time this happens just tell the dealer, "yeah I've heard of this type of "spot delivery". This is a new way for dealers to get you. I had it done to me. Yes I'm sure the salesmen that are forum members will yell "we don't do it on purpose!" but they work for the same group of people that used to try to sell, "rust-proofing under-body carriage protectant".


Spot Delivery
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
It's an honest mistake. If they can't get the same term and rate on the '04, then take it back. (if you don't wanna pay a lil more for a shorter term) Otherwise, they will be by to pic it up soon. It's still the dealers car at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
scooter said:
It's an honest mistake. If they can't get the same term and rate on the '04, then take it back. (if you don't wanna pay a lil more for a shorter term) Otherwise, they will be by to pic it up soon. It's still the dealers car at this point.

True, however beings it is still the dealers car, YOU are responsible for all the mileage. Read through your contracts, you will see that there is a clause regarding what happens IF the financing falls through. At most dealerships I've seen they can (CAN being the operative word) charge you per mile that you've put on and time that you've had it. Kinda like a rental car, but at a much higher rate.

Whatever happens with the contract, you want to get it resolved quickly and if it isn't there is always reporting it to the dealer board!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
True, however beings it is still the dealers car, YOU are responsible for all the mileage. Read through your contracts, you will see that there is a clause regarding what happens IF the financing falls through. At most dealerships I've seen they can (CAN being the operative word) charge you per mile that you've put on and time that you've had it. Kinda like a rental car, but at a much higher rate.

Whatever happens with the contract, you want to get it resolved quickly and if it isn't there is always reporting it to the dealer board!!

Yeah true but, if they did. Do you know about how many customers they would lose because they charged that "One" guy? He would tell everyone he knows about his experience (not that it has been upto now anyways)... I'm sure they won't charge him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
scooter said:
Yeah true but, if they did. Do you know about how many customers they would lose because they charged that "One" guy? He would tell everyone he knows about his experience (not that it has been upto now anyways)... I'm sure they won't charge him.

Exactly. I was preparing for this, but all is well now.

Miraculously, the bank has agreed to the terms (according to the dealer), and I keep my car with the same payment.

Not exactly sure where the mistake was made, maybe it was actually the bank, and they were trying to put it off on the dealer? Who knows. Best part...I got a free month of driving the RL.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top