Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've heard a lot of you guys talking about the proper break-in time for these cars, and was wondering what amount of time is adequate. I've heard a thousand, two-thousand, and as low as five hundred. I'd like to get some opinion on this as I've got about seven-hundred miles on mine now, and I'll admit it, when it had about six-hundred I had it up to around 100mph. Since then it's run just fine and I have'nt noticed any smells, noises, or anything. Nevertheless, I'd like to get some input from you guys. Things like what I can look for or check out. Hope I did'nt hurt my new baby!!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Nah, you didn't break it. The most important thing is to let the engine warm up a bit before you start to lean into it.

I wouldn't constantly be getting on it but you're not gonna hurt anything if you decide to sometimes.

I think to 1000 is a good break in.

That's just me though. Others will tell you different.

·
Registered
244 Posts
linenoyz said:
I know of people leaving dealer lots sideways and beat on their cars from day one. You haven't broken a thing. 500 miles is plenty of time to baby the car.
10-4! I have a lil story on this. Me and a guy at work (Saturn) ordered '97 SL2's at the same time. They came in w/-in a week of each other. Well, I drove it like I stole it and he babied it for awhile. My Car was always faster. He hated that :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
scooter said:
10-4! I have a lil story on this. Me and a guy at work (Saturn) ordered '97 SL2's at the same time. They came in w/-in a week of each other. Well, I drove it like I stole it and he babied it for awhile. My Car was always faster. He hated that :D
I've heard similar things. If the engine gets its break-in in the same manner as it's gonna be driven, then it'll perform better. Although some babying time should be used on the Redlines to make sure the blower isn't damaged or anything...but you don't need 1000-2000 miles by any means.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, thanks you guys!! You sure gave me a little piece of mind!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
General rule of thumb with a fresh motor:

First 500 miles baby it as much as possible. This will help all the components wear in properly while minimizing damage from lack of oil. I don't know how this applies since we're running synthetic. Hopefully they moly-coated the skirts of the pistons to improve lubricity in low oil conditions for the break in.

This also allows the oil to build up deposits in the seals. It kind of "fills in the gaps" on a molecular level. This is why when you run a car for several years on dino oil to switch to synthetic - synthetic is thinner and therefore will usually bleed through the built up deposits in the gaps. It also leaves less deposits.

Usually I do an oil change at 500 to check for shavings in the oil, discoloration (coolant/rust/paint/etc),

After that, drive it like you want to 3000 miles. Do another oil change. I'd recommend regular oil changes on this car much like on a turbo'd car simply because the supercharger will decrease oil life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts