Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after about a good 45mins spent at the autoshow talking with the cobalt rep. he said that gm is going to be coming out with different stages very soon for our cars. the stage two is going to add about 25 horses. it includes a smaller diameter pulley, gm performance cold air intake, and an ecu reflash. hes not sure if anything else is going to be included. you are going to be able to retain your warranty, but it will lower the warranty time. he wasnt sure about how much though. he also said that there will be a stage two that will produce about 275whp with the help of new injectors and many more goodies. also he said that some people he know have taken the air conditioner unit out and he saw a gain of 25 HORSES!!! just thought i would share. if any of my information is wrong, feel free to correct me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
sounds sweet, although i didn't think they could shorten the warranty more than it is
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
the warranty is only as good as your skills of yelling at managers to make them do the work. And stage 2 needs to get here in a big hurry 275whp and if thats not including exhaust some of us have that covered. Man do the math almost 300 ponies to the rubber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
goofyguy said:
the warranty is only as good as your skills of yelling at managers to make them do the work. And stage 2 needs to get here in a big hurry 275whp and if thats not including exhaust some of us have that covered. Man do the math almost 300 ponies to the rubber.
I don't understand. Some of us have what? 275 whp? If so, who? Or do you mean some of us have exhaust? I don't think anyone will have 275 even with headers. I'm guessing with I/H/E we will be at 255.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
I don't know if any of you have read the articals on the Colbalt and the Ion out on the Salt Flats with the turbocharge 2.0 ecotec. But alot of you are talking about replace your exhaust. This stock exhaust is good to like 400Hp. Why spend the 800 to 1500 on a exhaust to get 1 or 2hp is it real worth it. I would just replace the muffler. Everything else is High Flow and does seem to me that it would be worth the cost, till I get to that 400hp mark. After talking with Racing Innovations they seem to agree with me on this, just replace the stock muffler. Anyways what do you guys think? Am I right or wrong on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
I only spent like 260 bucks for my 3inch exhaust with a 3 inch magnaflow. Id rather have that than stock... Just me tho. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
SaturnI0Nredline said:
I don't know if any of you have read the articals on the Colbalt and the Ion out on the Salt Flats with the turbocharge 2.0 ecotec. But alot of you are talking about replace your exhaust. This stock exhaust is good to like 400Hp. Why spend the 800 to 1500 on a exhaust to get 1 or 2hp is it real worth it. I would just replace the muffler. Everything else is High Flow and does seem to me that it would be worth the cost, till I get to that 400hp mark. After talking with Racing Innovations they seem to agree with me on this, just replace the stock muffler. Anyways what do you guys think? Am I right or wrong on this?

All I got was a magnaflow muffler and had the last piece of pipe to the muffler upsized to 2.5" pipe (for some reason that is the only section that is downsized to 2.25") and it cost me $148. That's all I plan on doing to the exhaust besides the SCdyne header.


Anyone have any speculation as far as the cost of the stage 2 upgrade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
I don't think the stock exhaust is all that bad. If there is one that comes out that proves big gains, I may upgrade. Swapping the muffler would be a good idea for different looks and sound. I will get a header of some kind for sure though. I really hope the factory stage 1 and 2 upgrades are not rumors, those need to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Fineline said:
I don't think the stock exhaust is all that bad. If there is one that comes out that proves big gains, I may upgrade. Swapping the muffler would be a good idea for different looks and sound. I will get a header of some kind for sure though. I really hope the factory stage 1 and 2 upgrades are not rumors, those need to happen.
if you look at it, there is a huge crimp where the o2 sensor is, that should NOT be there, it looks like it's there just to fit the o2, they could've done better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Vita said:
if you look at it, there is a huge crimp where the o2 sensor is, that should NOT be there, it looks like it's there just to fit the o2, they could've done better
Never looked that close, but I am curious and will check that out. I'm sure most all aftermarket exhausts are better than stock, but for the big bucks I will put my money elsewhere to start with. Like your intake maybe. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
hopefully we'll make some progress soon, i'm starting to get antsy about the bender, and getting something custom bent as a one time deal is going to be costly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
i know you dont have it bent up, but do u have any routing ideas? is it going to follow the same path?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Fineline said:
I don't think the stock exhaust is all that bad. If there is one that comes out that proves big gains, I may upgrade. Swapping the muffler would be a good idea for different looks and sound. I will get a header of some kind for sure though. I really hope the factory stage 1 and 2 upgrades are not rumors, those need to happen.
Thats what I have my money on is the Stage 3 upgrade. Till I hit that 36K mark. Then I will hit some NOS and major upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
BlackLine said:
i know you dont have it bent up, but do u have any routing ideas? is it going to follow the same path?
we already know where it will run, the filter will be to the driver's side of the radiator, you'll see it through the front fascia if you look on an angle
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
sure it will flow 800hp but at that how much restriction is there. The pressure in the system would be insane. Where as a 3 inch will flow 1500hp but there will be no pressure at all on the system at that 800hp like the stock system. The point is just becuase it can flow that much does not mean its not going to help at 250 to have bigger pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Wurd... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
A pulley, ecu upgrade, and intake should give you more than 25hp. Im thinking it might be 25hp to the wheels. Also, with the i/h/e we should be able to make around 250 to the wheels. Put it all together and you've got a Red Line making 275hp to the wheels. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
im sure i have a good increase with the intake and exhasut. Cant wait for the header, and the pulley upgrade will be nice but not till the computer upgrades come out. With out the computer to allow more boost a pulley will only hep a little bit in the lower end we make full boost at 4500 and when you race if your lower than that for much time you suck.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top