Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO NOT BUY THE MOTEGI SP-5's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO fucking pissed off right now. Tire Rack guarantees fitment, and the fucking spokes don't clear the fucking calipers. Been staring at them for weeks with the new slicks, got all the way to the autocross location, got them out, got the car up - and they don't fit. What's worse, they hit enough that I'm not even sure that stock-legal spacers and longer studs will fix it, as I can only go 4mm worth of spacer and it looks like that might not be enough.

Even worse, I can't return them. I ordered my BFG R1's from Tire Rack, and talked to them about the wheels - which they guaranteed would fit. They would not, however, match the price I'd found elsewhere for almost $200 less, so I bought them from the other seller - who specifically states that fitment problems are the buyers responsibility.

I am pissed off beyond belief right now...

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Ooo man bad deal...use them as drag wheels and get bigger spacers?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like 4mm spacers will JUST clear - like, barely a millimeter - but that leaves me buying extended studs and installing them, by which time I could have bought more expensive wheels. Our studs are barely long enough for the stock wheels; 4mm worth of spacers gave me barely 2 turns to finger tight, less than 3 to 85 lbs on the stick. 5 turns is barely safe, prefer 7.

Grr...

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
what diameter wheel are you running? 17"?

or wait, the spokes are hitting the face of the caliper as the wheel spins????

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
17's, and yes - the spokes hit the bottom edge of the caliper along it's length.

Nobody makes a 4mm spacer that I can find. 3mm isn't quite enough, and 5 is too much to be legal in Stock class in the SCCA (max is 1/4" - 6.25mm - from stock offset) since I'm already 2mm less than stock at +40.

Anyone know where I can find longer wheel studs or which ones work? Not having much luck. Heard a rumor that the extended studs for a '98-'02 LS1 F-Body will fit? Can anyone verify?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
i guess you could buy a 5mm spacer and have it machined down to 4mm...do they make 2mm's that you can double up?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
wait a sec.. arnt the sp-5's the staggered fit style rim where they give you one option for a rear rim that has a bigger lip by bending in the spokes more meaning they have less room the clear the calipers.. but the front ones have a small lip and the spokes stick out towards the edge of the rim more meaning you have more room for larger calipers since the front have bigger brakes

what i'm trying to says is you got a rear dished rim for the front of your car.. if you didn't specifically ask for a rear one and you only got 2 i would call up tire rack and throw a shit fit

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow - nice catch. Funny that all my convo's with Tire Rack, the people I bought them from, and other places this has NEVER once come up.

Called the seller, they're actually being way cool about it, will put call tags out for 2 of the wheels and send me 2 fronts.

All's well that ends well... Searching thees forums and CSS, look slike a few owners have been down this road before - and this staggered fit issue was never put forth! So the title of this thread should be changed to "If you buy Motegi SP-5's, make sure you don't end up with 4 rears!!!!!"

LMAO

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts