Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Do you plan to get the LSD for your Red Line?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
No, I'll be getting one aftermarket - I'm part owner in a tuning shop, so I won't have the dealer guys do the work and charge me $2,000 for something I can get done for $900 in parts and 3 hours in labor.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yo jim let me know how much you would charge to do it because i like the idea of having one just dont like the cost. and my ans to the poll is no not at that price

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Im on it around summer.

·
Registered
681 Posts
navymitch12 said:
yo jim let me know how much you would charge to do it because i like the idea of having one just dont like the cost. and my ans to the poll is no not at that price
I'll have to see what my shop dude can get the Quaife for - it'll be MUCH less than Saturn, I guarantee - he's done several LSDs on '03 SRTs - the LSD was $460, Dodge wanted $900-1200...

·
Registered
135 Posts
ekool said:
What was the part number?
I bought it directly from Quaife. Part #57.309.180

It's listed as the part for the Saab 9-3 turbo (F35) transmission. The guys at the Quaife dealer said that is the part for it, and I did my research too. I even asked you guys. Remember? :D Yup, I started that thread.

It will be MUCH cheaper to order through Quaife than through GM Performance Parts. They will mark it up quite a bit, and they don't even sell them yet. I have an uncle who works for GM, and he said even at his cost, it would be cheaper to buy direct from Quaife. Still not cheap.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe Quaife offers a lifetime warranty on the diff, no questions asked. Is this still true? (ie.. race it all you want, if you snap it in half, they replace it for free)

·
Registered
82 Posts
wow, that's tremendous. is there any way possible you could ask your shop guy if he can get the ones that fit in the dodge a-555 or a-520? think late 80s dodge. i have a hybrid transmission, and i believe that i would need the one for the 520, but there was just a thread on turbododge.com 5 pages long with people who wanted a quaife for less than $1100. if it could drop into the $500-$600 range, i'm sure they would disappear in a rapid and surprising manner. please post back here or email me at [email protected], and i'll spread whatever the word is.
tony

·
Registered
135 Posts
ekool said:
I believe Quaife offers a lifetime warranty on the diff, no questions asked. Is this still true? (ie.. race it all you want, if you snap it in half, they replace it for free)
True, but they still have to "evaluate" it before replacement.

Oh, and the warranty boys aren't too excited that I'm putting it in. I was told the "district manager" would have to evaluate if anything happens to the tranny under warranty. I pleasantly reminded them that they have to prove the diff cause the problem before I could be charged anything. That ended the conversation there.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Guys, I'm not going to rag on you here, but is you think $1445 for a high-quality, lifetime warrantied torque-biasing differential is expensive, you have a warped view of the world. Most racing diffs cost well over $3000. Quaife is bold enough to make one that fits our cars, and if it EVER breaks they will replace it for free--even if it is raced. Most people who mod Saturns are still laughed at. Do you guys know why? Because they won't spend real money on quality parts. If you want something cheap, go buy an APC product and put APC stickers all over your car. That's cheap.

Again, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here. But some people need to realize that upgrading a car to run well on the track (I won't say street; I won't even touch that one) requires spending money. And no, I don't work for Quaife, I just hate it when people whine about quality parts that aren't outrageouly priced. I could go on, but I'll stop here.

Ok, maybe I did rag a little. No offense... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
ha the one for my truck was 99$ torsen based zexel unit with a lifetime warranty. I think 1500 is way over priced.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Idiot me

Didn't don on me what a LSD was until I had already clicked on the What is a LSD vote tab. Only had the car a couple days, but a diff upgrade certianly came to mind the first couple times I slightly jumped on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts