Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Do you plan to get the LSD for your Red Line?

Do you plan to get the LSD for your Red Line?

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  CSCC 148 
#1 ·
Once this part is available from your dealership, do you plan to order it?

#2 ·
No, I'll be getting one aftermarket - I'm part owner in a tuning shop, so I won't have the dealer guys do the work and charge me $2,000 for something I can get done for $900 in parts and 3 hours in labor.

#7 ·
navymitch12 said:
yo jim let me know how much you would charge to do it because i like the idea of having one just dont like the cost. and my ans to the poll is no not at that price
I'll have to see what my shop dude can get the Quaife for - it'll be MUCH less than Saturn, I guarantee - he's done several LSDs on '03 SRTs - the LSD was $460, Dodge wanted $900-1200...

#8 ·
ekool said:
What was the part number?
I bought it directly from Quaife. Part #57.309.180

It's listed as the part for the Saab 9-3 turbo (F35) transmission. The guys at the Quaife dealer said that is the part for it, and I did my research too. I even asked you guys. Remember? :D Yup, I started that thread.

It will be MUCH cheaper to order through Quaife than through GM Performance Parts. They will mark it up quite a bit, and they don't even sell them yet. I have an uncle who works for GM, and he said even at his cost, it would be cheaper to buy direct from Quaife. Still not cheap.

#10 ·
wow, that's tremendous. is there any way possible you could ask your shop guy if he can get the ones that fit in the dodge a-555 or a-520? think late 80s dodge. i have a hybrid transmission, and i believe that i would need the one for the 520, but there was just a thread on turbododge.com 5 pages long with people who wanted a quaife for less than $1100. if it could drop into the $500-$600 range, i'm sure they would disappear in a rapid and surprising manner. please post back here or email me at toyman34668@yahoo.com, and i'll spread whatever the word is.
tony

#11 ·
ekool said:
I believe Quaife offers a lifetime warranty on the diff, no questions asked. Is this still true? (ie.. race it all you want, if you snap it in half, they replace it for free)
True, but they still have to "evaluate" it before replacement.

Oh, and the warranty boys aren't too excited that I'm putting it in. I was told the "district manager" would have to evaluate if anything happens to the tranny under warranty. I pleasantly reminded them that they have to prove the diff cause the problem before I could be charged anything. That ended the conversation there.

#12 ·
Yea if someone can get a deal that would be great, becuase it's listed at just a shade under $1500 on Quiafe's website...

#13 · (Edited)
Guys, I'm not going to rag on you here, but is you think $1445 for a high-quality, lifetime warrantied torque-biasing differential is expensive, you have a warped view of the world. Most racing diffs cost well over $3000. Quaife is bold enough to make one that fits our cars, and if it EVER breaks they will replace it for free--even if it is raced. Most people who mod Saturns are still laughed at. Do you guys know why? Because they won't spend real money on quality parts. If you want something cheap, go buy an APC product and put APC stickers all over your car. That's cheap.

Again, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here. But some people need to realize that upgrading a car to run well on the track (I won't say street; I won't even touch that one) requires spending money. And no, I don't work for Quaife, I just hate it when people whine about quality parts that aren't outrageouly priced. I could go on, but I'll stop here.

Ok, maybe I did rag a little. No offense... :rolleyes:

#17 ·
ha the one for my truck was 99$ torsen based zexel unit with a lifetime warranty. I think 1500 is way over priced.

#18 ·
macncheese said:
yeah, with all the complaining about prices, i'd think y'all were driving old school turbo-dodges, or something!!!
lol
tony
Yea, with LeBaron turbos...

#22 ·
I voted "yes", but I take that to mean from any source. I don't know if I'll be getting it through my Saturn dealership or direct from Quaife.

BTW, I heard a rumor that Saturn is delaying shipment of the competition package due to complications with the LSD. Can anyone confirm this, or have any details about it? Just curious, before I go puttin' my money down.

Ag+

#23 ·
SilverION said:
I voted "yes", but I take that to mean from any source. I don't know if I'll be getting it through my Saturn dealership or direct from Quaife.

BTW, I heard a rumor that Saturn is delaying shipment of the competition package due to complications with the LSD. Can anyone confirm this, or have any details about it? Just curious, before I go puttin' my money down.

Ag+
We have heard that there is a delay on the comp package, I wouldn't wanna say that it IS the LSD, since that part has been around for a while. One of our members has already had it installed into his Redline. The Quaife site has it listed for the Saab 93.

#24 ·
Sp00ner said:
We have heard that there is a delay on the comp package, I wouldn't wanna say that it IS the LSD, since that part has been around for a while. One of our members has already had it installed into his Redline. The Quaife site has it listed for the Saab 93.
Thanks Sp00ner. I just did some searching in the performance mods forum and found CSCC 148's thread about his LSD. Sounds sweet! It's gonna be a little while until I'm ready to drop that kind of money on it, but I look forward to it.

Ag+

#25 ·
Someone said in another other thread that the delayed production is due to the grinding transmission noise when the cars are warming up. They're trying to make a fix that helps keep parts in there lubricated so we don't here this anymore. I don't know the truth of this, it's just what someone said a little while back.

Another reason they might be delaying is low sales. They're not going to make any cars if there's no demand for them. It seems like enough people on here want them to start making them again, so I don't know how true this is either. Can anyone from Spring Hill confirm this? Have you guys stopped production on a lot of cars altogether for the time being?

With wanting to add the LSD onto the car you already have...my dealer has told me and partspec on here has confirmed that dealers don't have the kits to just put the LSD on the car. If you want it, you're gonna have to pay a buttload for them to take the time to do custom jobs on adding it. I'm not made of money...so this may have to wait for me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.