Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Does your Intercooler Pump look like this? Merged Thread

21K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Hypertension 
#1 ·
My intercooler fluid is STILL NOT FLOWING!:mad:

I think that being wired backwards for so long may have caused my IC pump to shit the bed. I'll be taking it back to them tomorrow.

Spooner, how did you know when your IC pump went out?

#2 ·
dL_RL said:
good question, my coolant does not move at all and I do have the wiring correct.

It is supposed to. I met Robert (TXRLU) at the dealership and he showed me his intercooler filler neck. When his car is running, you can clearly see the fluid circualting. On mine, it just bubbles a little bit and I think even that is just caused by the engine vibes.

You might want to take yours in to the dealer and tell them you suspect the IC pump is out. Tell them it runs rough when it gets hot etc.

#3 ·
JPK said:
My intercooler fluid is STILL NOT FLOWING!:mad:

I think that being wired backwards for so long may have caused my IC pump to shit the bed. I'll be taking it back to them tomorrow.

Spooner, how did you know when your IC pump went out?

Combination of intake temps and observation. They're gonna have to look at mine as well, I was dropping it off today, but had to work early as hell, then late. They turned mine on at the dealer with the Tech2, and it didn't move at all. I could hear the pump running, but no movement. They agreed to take it for a day and observe it to be siure its not working. Warranty issues, ya know?

#4 ·
Just have them hook it up to there tech2 tool and run it and see if its working..mine was shot when they checked mine due to the wiring. Mine made a horrible grinding noise. They thought that was normal at first..lol then I asked them to check a '06 redline on there lot and when they did the '06's turned beautifly. Thats how we new mine was bad.=)

#5 ·
Best way to see if your car is circulating the coolant correctly, if there is Coolant circulating through the image below then it is working correctly. With Cole's, JPK's and my car, the fluid would just sit there only moving slightly when the engine would bounce. I'll try to get a video of the circulating coolant and post it on Streetfire.

#6 · (Edited)
Cruwl said:
what kind of movement should i see under idle, light movement? or should you be able to say wow thats moving some coolant? i think ill go by my saturn dealer friday and ask them to start an 06 and look at it while its running, with a properly running IC pump does the lvl of coolant change at all, mine is just as full as it was when i got it.

This was a problem common mainly to 04s, some 05s also experienced this issue. I'll get a video of the swirling coolant. Mainly you are supposed to see some moving, not due to engine movement but obvious movement. Also you should note that the coolant will only circulate once the engine is at temp.

Video being optimized as of 5:00pm CST, and its somewhat hard to make out w/a cheap little pocket sized camcorder but you can somewhat see the fluid circulating.

Video removed by streetfire, let me know if you need a demo of this

#7 ·
Does your Intercooler Pump look like this?

Mine does! :D

Hard to see, I know. Those 'chunks' of metal are what used to be the impeller....

#8 ·
Sp00ner said:

Mine does! :D

Hard to see, I know. Those 'chunks' of metal are what used to be the impeller....
I hope that picture was taken at the dealership.....

Mark

#9 ·
Sp00ner said:
Sure was... I got a good tech from now on...
Did they have one in stock for you or are you grounded for a couple of days?

Mark

#10 ·
mailmars said:
Did they have one in stock for you or are you grounded for a couple of days?

Mark
They diagnosed it on Friday, ordered the pump, and I went in today after work to get it thrown in.

#11 ·
what did you do? You over amp it. I wonder if you can up the voltage to it for more flow HMmmm theres an idea.

#12 ·
goofyguy said:
what did you do? You over amp it. I wonder if you can up the voltage to it for more flow HMmmm theres an idea.
I'm innocent on this one. All natural causes!

#14 ·
crazybrew609 said:
goofy.. you mean put more voltage to the pump to make it spin faster increasing flow but possible making it blow up and voiding the warrenty.. now whats the point in that

you guys have no thrill factor at all do you. So going from 13.8 to 16v is scary to you man a turbo will just blow your mind. Your not planning on putting a differnt pulley on there or even dare I say an exhaust?

#15 ·
[thread jack] No fair goofy! Having a custom forum title! How'd he do that, I thought you guys weren't capable :( [/thread jack]

No wonder your pump wasn't even working there. I bet he switched around the connection, heard some bad noises or didn't see any flow at all, so he decided to take it apart and found that. Better tell them to flush out the system with some high pressure just to make sure no pieces get stuck anywhere in the system, clogging and hurting the cooling flow...

I wonder what kind of noise that would have made...ask him what it sounded like for us.

#16 ·
It made a slight rattle. I heard it at the first dealer. With the motor running, you couldn't hear anything.

We determined there was no coolant flow on Friday, they ordered the pump. I was there as he was refilling the system, and I wondered aloud about what could have been making the noise. So he whipped out a screwdriver and pulled it apart.

#17 ·
Yep Spooner, looks like the ol' dealership was correct. No problems whatsoever with that thing. Looks tip top :eek: Stealership=Pwned

#22 ·
Sp00ner how did you end up convincing them to check it out? what were they symptoms you had to describe for them to take you seriously? I have a feeling this might be worth having everyone check out there... and i'd be curious myself. What symptoms should we feign so they take us seriously?

#23 ·
he sat in the garage and started crying like a babay!! :D Hey maybe we should all go to Tenn and ask to speak with the bonehead that plugged this wire on incorrectly in the first place? I say this person needs some sort of accountability! Oh wait I remember the movie Hoffa.........They're union aren't they?? :confused:

#24 ·
Freakazoid said:
Sp00ner how did you end up convincing them to check it out? what were they symptoms you had to describe for them to take you seriously? I have a feeling this might be worth having everyone check out there... and i'd be curious myself. What symptoms should we feign so they take us seriously?
2 mins at the second place. I didn't have to convince them of shite. The first place just didn't understand what I was trying to show them. Roger, the guy who just posted a few up, owns a RL, and knows what things should look and act like. Makes it nice.

#26 ·
guice72 said:
you will not have any debris from the old innercooler pump in the system due to the pump not being a direct drive and it failed on the magnetic side which u seen is seperated by a plastic housing. also what is your charge temp at now?
With an preblower temp of 37: Mid 60's during normal cruising. On a full 2nd gear run, it never got over 100 while running, went up to about 105 when the throttle closed, and dropped back into the 80's before I made it up my driveway. It was about 125 or so pulling into your dealership last night at low speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.