Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched the forum didn't find anything...but here's the issue.

I use to be able to put my key in my car and the dome light would turn off. Know it doesn't. It stays on until my car is in forward motion which is a pain in the ass for backing up at night.

Also I could lock my car and then hit my lock button again (with key-less pad thing, can't remember name for it) and the car would beep and let me know that it is actually locked... it no longer does that as well.

I'm assuming it is some sort of fuse. Curious if anyone can verify that for me and tell me what fuse may need to be replaced... I'm total newbie.

Thanks.

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Check ur dome fuse, ur light should go off once ur cars locked. As far as it honking on the 2nd lock im not sure.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
can you honk the horn from the steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
can you honk the horn from the steering wheel?
Good call. Something in the wiring is likely mucked up somewhere. (my random wild guess is something in the steering column since the honks stopped and the key-light sensor stopped working)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I can honk the horn from the wheel. I also noticed when I try to lock with remote it makes the ding ding noise like it is warning my keys are still in the ignition.
seems like its in the factory alarm, maybe?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
thats the body control module

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wouldn't I notice something more than just the dome light staying on until I'm driving forward and no honk on remote lock? Or can it partially fail?
idk...... i would check out the factory alarm system then go for the big stuff.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I'm thinking something in the ignition is the problem. If it's dinging like your keys are in it's more than likely the sensor that picks up the keys are in the ignition. That could also drive the lights to stay on. It never sensed the car was started and shut the lights off.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
lol ok time for the real answer...

it's your door jam switch!!!!

the little thing that sticks out the side of your dash board that gets pushed in by the door when it shuts. they go bad and don't work properly making the car think the door is never shut, which in turn................................................................................................................

ding ding ding makes the dome light stay on

WWOOOAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

winner winner chicken dinner lol

call up your local dealer and make sure they have one, it's only maybe 15-25 bucks and swap it out yourself,

-just pull off end piece on your dash (only held in by clips)
-once you pull it off the only thing thats connected to the panel is the door jam switch so just unplug the corrector and take the panel completely off
-now if you look at the back side of the switch your see the tabs that hold the switch into the panel press them in and push the switch out thru the front of the panel
-push the new sensor from the front of the panel thru the back of the panel
-reconnect your switch and pop the panel back into place.

done and it only cost you 20 bucks

now if you replace the switch and nothing change then take the witch you just took out and put in into the passenger side as that one is the bad side. they are the same switch per side so it doesn't matter

anyway thats your answer

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
lol ok time for the real answer...

it's your door jam switch!!!!

the little thing that sticks out the side of your dash board that gets pushed in by the door when it shuts. they go bad and don't work properly making the car think the door is never shut, which in turn................................................................................................................

ding ding ding makes the dome light stay on

WWOOOAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

winner winner chicken dinner lol

call up your local dealer and make sure they have one, it's only maybe 15-25 bucks and swap it out yourself,

-just pull off end piece on your dash (only held in by clips)
-once you pull it off the only thing thats connected to the pannel is the door jam switch so juct unplug the corrector and take the panel completely off
-now if you look at the back side of the switch your see the tabs that hold the switch into the panel press them in and push the switch out thru the front of the panel
-push the new sensor from the front of the panel thru the back of the panel
-reconnect your switch and pop the panel back into place.

done and it only cost you 20 bucks

now if you replace the switch and nothing change then take the witch you just took out and put in into the passenger side as that one is the bad side. they are the same switch per side so it doesn't matter

anyway thats your answer
You'd get a "door ajar" indicator if that were the problem.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts