Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering how many people when they down shift, let off the clutch and slow the car down? i believe it is also called engine breaking.. i do it a lot, i was wondering if that is bad for the car and/or clutch.. i've been doing it for a while, since i bought my car a year ago this month and i havnt noticed anything.. but i am still curious if this is something that can hurt the car..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Any time you put presure on the clutch it's "bad", however your brakes will last a lifetime!! I do drive all sticks that way....

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
don't just let off the clutch, try and match RPMs. i kind of just blip the throttle when i do it, and do a very good job of rev matching, but i've been doing this since i got the car, believe me it took some getting used to, but please don't just slip the clutch to slow down, it'll fry it quick.

i'd also like to mention that if i'm coming to a stop, i don't downshift, i just coast in neutral until i know i need to be in gear again (or when stopped, go into first)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Vita is right blipping the gas to match the RPMS actually helps save ur clutch. if u get good at doing that then try heel to toe braking. I am still trying to master that in my Redline, Use to do it my SL

·
Registered
305 Posts
Usually if I need to slow down I throw it in neutral and use the brakes. I don't want to ride the clutch any more than I have to, especially since I was new to a stick when I bought the RL.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I only downshift when I'm trying to drive 'sporty'... brake pads are easy to change...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I ussually step down on the clutch when comming to a stop while braking. I also down shift into what ever gear I would be in while slowing down just incase I need to get moving in a hurry.Sometimes I put it into gear to slow down. Some ppl say never down shift to a stop into first gear. Only if you don't have brakes anymore should you do that.

But you should use the brakes. Clutches are a weee bit more expensive then brake pads. Just a little.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Article

There was a cool article about blipping and double clutching and heel toe braking in Sport Compact Car. It's in one of the early year issues, january february.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Redline686 said:
There was a cool article about blipping and double clutching and heel toe braking in Sport Compact Car. It's in one of the early year issues, january february.
Granny shifting, not doulbe clutching like you should, you're lucky that double shot of NOS didnt blow the welds on the intake! LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
tlake84 said:
Granny shifting, not doulbe clutching like you should, you're lucky that double shot of NOS didnt blow the welds on the intake! LOL!!!!!
Now the mad scientist has to pull the tranny to rebuild the clutch you fried

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Ask any racer, any real racer, It doesn't matter if u win by an inch or a mile...we need to get a life LoL

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Nukem said:
Ask any racer, any real racer, It doesn't matter if u win by an inch or a mile...we need to get a life LoL
That's like the only line in the movie thats not complete crap...

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
wasnt it the intake welds?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
BlckRdln04 said:
...i believe it is also called engine breaking...i was wondering if that is bad for the car and/or clutch...
Engine breaking is when you break your engine...

One E too many.

No, it is not bad for your clutch. It wears the same as when you start from a stop. If you blip the throttle and match it exactly, you don't wear on it. Of course, nobody's perfect, and maybe your matching is a little off, but it doesn't cause considerable wear. It is fine to do. Heel-toe is fun, as long as your pedals are in the right place for it.

If anything, leaving it in gear when coming to a stop will aid your brakes. You don't have to push in the clutch right away. Once it's fully engaged it's not wearing your material.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Id still rather spend 1 hour and 20 bucks every 4 years on break pads instead of a clutch.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yup... and if it wears as much as taking off... it would wear even less if you didn't do it, so you're still saving wear on the clutch.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Dam, wtf happened to the forums?!

If you're going to engine BRAKE, you should learn to heel-toe. Not only does it wear the clutch less, which doesn't matter unless you're retarded, it's smoother for the car and passengers.

Otherwise, it's best to leave it in gear until you're almost stopped, then put it in neutral. Every owners manual I've seen says that. I'm sure the RL is the same, since it uses a clutch similar to every other car.

Here's some stuff on heel-toe.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/45792/article.html

" So, let's recap. It's fun to do. It improves driving safety. It reduces the amount of powertrain wear on your car. Other than the amount of time it takes to learn, there is no downside. What more could you want?"

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/heeltoe.html

"minimizes wear on the clutch since the clutch and flywheel are spinning at closer to the same speed."

http://bmwccvi.ca/documents/Tip 7 - Heel and Toe Downshifting.pdf#search='heel and toe downshifting'

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
but still less wear is still wear

1 - 20 of 25 Posts