Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking my redline to the dragstrip on friday if its not raining. I will let you all know what I run. I think I am going to mix some 100 octane with the 92 octane thats in it right now and I was wondering if a bag of ice on the supercharger would help in between runs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
try to make some runs on just 92 first, if you run too much octane it can hurt performance, the higher the octane the slower it burns, so the lowest octane you can run with no detonation, the more power you will make, and absolutely ice it between runs

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
88ls1blazer said:
try to make some runs on just 92 first, if you run too much octane it can hurt performance, the higher the octane the slower it burns, so the lowest octane you can run with no detonation, the more power you will make, and absolutely ice it between runs

don't hesitate to let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you please do a run as is, I mean without better gas and without icing the IC?
That way you have a good time for what the car will do right off the showroom floor type of thing :).

Let us know how you make out!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went to the dragstrip last night and it was kinda disapointing. My first run I ran a 15.8 at 90 mph and my second run I ran a 15.6 at 92mph. Both runs had 2.6 60' times. On my first run I had wheel hop in first and second, on the second run I had wheel hop in second gear. I was wanting to be in the 14 but what can you do. I think I will try again in october.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Learn how to drive ;) I think I could break 14s easily. I raced my friends GTP that runs a 14.5... beat him once and he beat me once... but I was pulling by the end of our race.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know how to drive but hey if you can do better why don't you go to the track and get some numbers then. Then maybe you can teach me how to drive. I thought I was going to be in the 14's but the wheel hop in first and second was killing me. I am going to try again next month.

·
Registered
92 Posts
redline24 said:
I know how to drive but hey if you can do better why don't you go to the track and get some numbers then. Then maybe you can teach me how to drive. I thought I was going to be in the 14's but the wheel hop in first and second was killing me. I am going to try again next month.
Does anyone make or sell inserts or new mounts for the Redline yet? If yes I would be getting them ASAP! Much like my car (04 SRT4) wheel hope is a KILLER, it was my first mod even before the first oil change :).

You really need to work on your launches at a 2.6 60 foot is just plain horrible, also I am suprised by your low trap speed even if you have a poor launch your trap will generally indicate what the car is capable of. I would have guessed 95mph to be average for a stock Redline but maybe I was incorrect.

Either way good runs and keep on practicing those launches!

·
Registered
617 Posts
redline24 said:
I wasn't trying to flame ya in anyway man... so just relax. Ya, I know launching the Red Line is a bit rough because of the wheel hop. Try heating up your tires a bit before you launch. When I raced that GTP and won, it actually helped my launch a lot and my front tires stayed on the ground.. no hop.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next time I am going to try and get the tires heated up. I am also thinking about 3" exhaust with some 3" mandrel bends and a 3" flowmaster muffler. Don't know if that will help me or hurt me.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
redline24 said:
Next time I am going to try and get the tires heated up. I am also thinking about 3" exhaust with some 3" mandrel bends and a 3" flowmaster muffler. Don't know if that will help me or hurt me.

it may help some, mostly the muffler, but remember, you can only flow as much as your most narrow point. so while you may benifit some, it won't help as much until you get some sort of header. for now just get a free flowing muffler, and practice the launch!

·
Registered
42 Posts
i would get a better flowing muffler than a flowmaster imo, the flowmaster is probably one of the most popular aftermarket mufflers, but is almost one of the worst flowing, i would do a dynomax ultra flo if you want a good non ricey muffler, and actually the part about only flowing as much as your smallest point, this is only half true, many of the fastest race cars have stepped headers which start out a lets say 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 it helps out on the low end, and makes more up top, and many diesels benefit from a 5" exhaust, even though the downpipe is only 4" or smaller, so this is not always true, and can quite often be the reverse

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
88ls1blazer said:
i would get a better flowing muffler than a flowmaster imo, the flowmaster is probably one of the most popular aftermarket mufflers, but is almost one of the worst flowing, i would do a dynomax ultra flo if you want a good non ricey muffler, and actually the part about only flowing as much as your smallest point, this is only half true, many of the fastest race cars have stepped headers which start out a lets say 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 it helps out on the low end, and makes more up top, and many diesels benefit from a 5" exhaust, even though the downpipe is only 4" or smaller, so this is not always true, and can quite often be the reverse
well that is good to know!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have a glasspack on my car in place of the stock muffler and I am just thinking that there is not enough back pressure. That is why I was thinking flowmaster because I would get more back pressure. I also have the stock header off my 2002 cavalier that had the 2.2 ecotec, not sure if they are the same part number but if they are I could port the cavalier header and swap them to see if it makes a difference. Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
first of all, what kind of glass pack, because many of them have more restriction than a flowmaster, and the stock manifold is probably not the same, and the redlines probably flows better

·
Registered
453 Posts
where are you located? that could def. have something to do with your 1/4 mile times.

out in cali, for example, going to the track in palmdale (high desert), will make your times a second or more slower then what it actually is.

btw how many miles you got on your car? im curious about break in times... some people say 1k miles, some say 2 or 3k. im a little over 1k right now, havent even taken it over 80 yet.

good luck tho :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts