Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went out tonite and I decided to drive her 2003 sunfire to save miles on my rl plus it was stormy out and did not want hail damage.OMG what a letdown this car is compared to the rl I stepped on the gas no power the handling was the pits and just no fun to drive.To make matters worse the highway was almost stopped and a rl pulled along side me and I was checking it out and the guy kind of snickered at me all this on my birthday.I can laugh now but you dont know how much I wanted to be in the rl again.So whom ever you are that snickered at my wife's yellow 2003 sunfire that I was driving IT IS NOT MY CAR. :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'll agree, somewhat. I've got an '02 Sunfire GT with the 2.2L ECOtec & 4 spd auto that I thought was the shit until I started driving the Red Line. The Sunfire is still a great accellerating little car with plenty of dual cam power, BUT... the Red Line is better, and we know why that is... the supercharger. I saw a Cavalier at the autocross a month ago running in G Stock that did the course only ONE second better than my Redline (his first time, my third time autoxing) Being able to overpower the tires slows me down and it seems that the N/A ECOtec in the J-Body has just the right amount of power to move the car thru the course quickly and not waste time diung smokey burnouts out of every turn. I think I will run my Sunfire at an event just to compare the handling of the 2 cars (steering, body roll, braking[ both have 4 channel ABS]), but I already know that the RL has the better and quicker steering.

And as far as get up and go is concerned, If I remember correctly the one time I took the Sunfire to the drags, it ran 15.60s

·
Registered
150 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
And as far as get up and go is concerned, If I remember correctly the one time I took the Sunfire to the drags, it ran 15.60s
Especially with the auto?? Holy shit man, that's f-in' quick! Is it all stock? That's seriously impressive as hell for a Sunfire, no matter what tranny.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
my 02 cav would have given any redline a fight

that car was the perfect sleeper, and almost paid off.

but i really wanted a stick, and got my RL cheep.. Im reallly enjoying the redline allready in the short time ive had it compared to my cav.

driving the rl with the air on SUCKS MY BALLS!

anyone agree?

keith-

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Not compared to my old SC2!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
the revs drop pretty low, i have to give it more gas it seems, and trying to go up a hill, i feel like im hurting my car.

it was never a big problem until a few days ago, it was a real hot day, the car was pissed!

i guess the air sucks HP and the hot air also robs power, it may just be the huge power loss im feeling, i dunno

keith-

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
the revs drop pretty low, i have to give it more gas it seems, and trying to go up a hill, i feel like im hurting my car.

it was never a big problem until a few days ago, it was a real hot day, the car was pissed!

i guess the air sucks HP and the hot air also robs power, it may just be the huge power loss im feeling, i dunno

keith-
hmmm the AC should turn off if you go WOT with your car. Shouldn't be a difference really in power.

·
Registered
150 Posts
With many cars, the A/C does in fact shut off when WOT is sensed, but when you're at anything BUT WOT, you will always feel a drop in power: moreso in a small engine (mostly torqueless engines, not specifically pointing out RL's so don't flame). It's definitely noticeable, and to get any "seat of the pants" feel usually requires atleast 20-ish hp, whether an increase or decrease, and by the amount of power that is lost when the A/C is turned on, I'd honestly say the A/C is robbing atleast 25-30 horses.

·
Registered
115 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
*snip*
driving the rl with the air on SUCKS MY BALLS!

anyone agree?

keith-
Actually the RL performs much better with the AC on than the 93 SL2 I had. I literally had to turn off the AC to take off at a red light because if I didn't, the car would hardly move. Compared to that, I don't notice much of a power loss in the RL.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
TransAm52804 said:
Especially with the auto?? Holy shit man, that's f-in' quick! Is it all stock? That's seriously impressive as hell for a Sunfire, no matter what tranny.
2.2L ECOtecs in J-Bodys are no slouched. My stepson took his 04 Cavy with the 2.2 ECO and Gretag 5 spd to Norwalk Raceway and clicked off a best of 15.27 @ 92 MPH and that was before he put on the CAI.

And I guess you never came up against an 02 or newer Sunfire with the 2.2 ECOtec in it or took one for a ride. I don't think that 03s and up changed anything from the mid-year 02 2.2L ECOtec that was put into the GT. For an automatic, I've always thought the 02 Sunfire GT was a quick little car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This past week in Chicago the Temps average over 90 Degrees and ran the A/C in my RL, didn't notice any power lost, I was amazed and shocked. But, in my 99 SL2, with the A/C on the car was slower than pond water.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Im currently driving my moms 04 Yellow auto sunfire while mine is waiting on me to get the block back from the machine shop and put it all back together...

well i couldnt resist, hooked up HP tuners to my moms car

Fuel cut at 7,000rpms. trans line pres. up to 96psi, PE enabled at 0 RPMS... Her car moves damn good now compared to before. And i left the shiftpoints stock so she will never know, only time i use the 7k rev limit is if i manually shift it.

I bet MY sunfire would give you a different feeling than your wifes though :p

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
since this thread said sunfire I got this for sale!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Ron9919 said:
since this thread said sunfire I got this for sale!

He will blow you if you buy it

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Chazb said:
To make matters worse the highway was almost stopped and a rl pulled along side me and I was checking it out and the guy kind of snickered at me
I would've yelled out the window "At least my CEL isn't on, ya cock!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts