Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

381 - 400 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
No pictures of the bullet holes in the street signs?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
No pictures of the bullet holes in the street signs?
actually didn't even notice them this time...actually rained on and off during the whole run so wasn't pushing very hard...good thing too because logging trucks were 3 feet over the line after a blind corner...

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
Drox does that mean you're gonna go chase the roller skate at RA?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I miss doing the road courses so much...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Drox does that mean you're gonna go chase the roller skate at RA?
I dare you to catch the roller skate! It runs around a 3 minute lap time. Eric went for a ride in the Cobalt at RA but he didn't get the full experience due to the car acting up.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
My car will be 1000% capable. With the right driver lol.
I do alright, but there's no replacement for seat time. I bet even with the new motor and boost cranked up I'd still have trouble keeping up for a while.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
Oh and I was just watching the video of the z28 at nurburgring... I wanna do that so bad.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
plan is for 2 PDX/HPDE/Track days next year...depending on budget

·
Registered
251 Posts
My car will be 1000% capable. With the right driver lol.
I do alright, but there's no replacement for seat time. I bet even with the new motor and boost cranked up I'd still have trouble keeping up for a while.
The key to being fast is to turn the boost and timing down. Just ask John.

·
Registered
251 Posts
plan is for 2 PDX/HPDE/Track days next year...depending on budget
You should come up in June to an event that I volunteer at. I can even instruct for you if you want.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
The key to being fast is to turn the boost and timing down. Just ask John.
Now think about that statement. That only applies if the driver does not have the ability to control the power and/or the car's suspension cannot handle it in a controllable manner.

All I'm saying is that the car will be far more capable than I am.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Now think about that statement. That only applies if the driver does not have the ability to control the power and/or the car's suspension cannot handle it in a controllable manner.

All I'm saying is that the car will be far more capable than I am.
At the power levels you are aiming at Al, the only time you will be able to make full use of it is going in a straight line. Speed in the corners is limited by the lateral g's a car can hold (aka tires/suspension) but modulation of the throttle is critical to keeping the car on the knife edge of maximum grip. Your right foot needs to have the fine motor skills to help control the car.

For purpose of simple explanation, say pedal travel has a linear relationship to power, then...

My car

1/4 pedal 60hp
1/2 pedal 120hp
3/4 pedal 180hp
WOT 240hp

Your car (approx target)

1/4 pedal 125 hp
1/2 pedal 250 hp
3/4 pedal 375 hp
WOT 500 hp

For every 25% of the pedal, you are trying to control more than double the hp for the same amount of pedal travel. That's asking a lot from even an experienced track driver.

Let's not forget you're also talking about all that power on FWD car so while the wheels are turning the car in the direction you want to go, they are also trying to get all that power to the road.

Most people I know that have "higher" hp delta's run a lower boost setting or lower power tune at the track to make the car easier to control.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
I completely agree with what you're saying.
I think my initial statement was taken the wrong way.
The intention behind everything I e said is quite simply that the car itself will be much faster than I will be able to drive it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
I completely agree with what you're saying.
I think my initial statement was taken the wrong way.
The intention behind everything I e said is quite simply that the car itself will be much faster than I will be able to drive it.
Ask anyone, more fun to drive a slow car fast, then a fast car slowly:grinbigin

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
At the power levels you are aiming at Al, the only time you will be able to make full use of it is going in a straight line. Speed in the corners is limited by the lateral g's a car can hold (aka tires/suspension) but modulation of the throttle is critical to keeping the car on the knife edge of maximum grip. Your right foot needs to have the fine motor skills to help control the car.

For purpose of simple explanation, say pedal travel has a linear relationship to power, then...

My car

1/4 pedal 60hp
1/2 pedal 120hp
3/4 pedal 180hp
WOT 240hp

Your car (approx target)

1/4 pedal 125 hp
1/2 pedal 250 hp
3/4 pedal 375 hp
WOT 500 hp

For every 25% of the pedal, you are trying to control more than double the hp for the same amount of pedal travel. That's asking a lot from even an experienced track driver.

Let's not forget you're also talking about all that power on FWD car so while the wheels are turning the car in the direction you want to go, they are also trying to get all that power to the road.

Most people I know that have "higher" hp delta's run a lower boost setting or lower power tune at the track to make the car easier to control.
You could adjust the lazyness of the throttle, or as Merc did with the amg hammer, put a leaf spring and a piece of plywood, god that pedal is heavy...

381 - 400 of 421 Posts