Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got of my phat azz and took some more pictures of the intake. I have had this dyno since December but did not want to release this until K&N posted there product on there web page . Anyways my car made 189whp with the stock intake and paper element. It was a 4th gear pull at 2000 rpms.done at 10:21 a.m on 12/08/04 the second run was with the intake. It made 211 max whp with the intake . done 2 hours later in 4 th gear at 2000 rpms. Torque was 174 stock and 191 with the intake. This product does work. I test drove a 2005 and you can notice the difference in how much more it pulls and runs through the gears. Anyways enjoy and I hope the people at K&N don't get made. :D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
22hp and 17 lb-ft huh? thats pretty badass. you guys are well on your way to 300 hp no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
SPLREDLINE said:
Well I finally got of my phat azz and took some more pictures of the intake. I have had this dyno since December but did not want to release this until K&N posted there product on there web page . Anyways my car made 189whp with the stock intake and paper element. It was a 4th gear pull at 2000 rpms.done at 10:21 a.m on 12/08/04 the second run was with the intake. It made 211 max whp with the intake . done 2 hours later in 4 th gear at 2000 rpms. Torque was 174 stock and 191 with the intake. This product does work. I test drove a 2005 and you can notice the difference in how much more it pulls and runs through the gears. Anyways enjoy and I hope the people at K&N don't get made. :D
Isn't 189 WHP really low?

Some guys are dynoing at 211 stock. . .

But at least this shows that the intake works. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
Hey guys,

I actually purchased my Intake today from Saturn Of Cerritos, and installed it tonight as well. All I can say is hot damn it pulls hard, the powerband is sooooo much smoother and the bucking bronco effect that I thought was from the PCM needing to be reflashed went away completely. Its worth the money IMHO. I will post some pics tomorrow its 1 am here and Im dead tired...

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
shaneathan said:
Isn't 189 WHP really low?

Some guys are dynoing at 211 stock. . .

But at least this shows that the intake works. . .

It was a 4th gear pull so that's pretty damn good. All the stock pulls that clocked around 210 whp have been 3rd gear pulls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
JPK said:
It was a 4th gear pull so that's pretty damn good. All the stock pulls that clocked around 210 whp have been 3rd gear pulls.

Plus, aren't those pulls done with the airbox removed? I guess it just depends on what you definition of stock means. Removing the airbox will allow more air to enter the filter and engine, just like an intake right? His 1st pull at 186 was with the airbox on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it was low until I noticed that all the people who dynoed over 200 whp had done 3rd gear pulls. Anyways I figured that K&N does these kind of tests all day long to all different cars and has thousands of hours of doing this I think it is safe to say that there numbers represent the most accurate across the board. Anyways a must have for an upgrade. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!! I know that 400 bones seems like alot but think of it this ways. It has been dam near 9 months for anything to come out for our cars and this product is a grade a piece. Would you of rather of bought 2 diffent items that total more than 400 bones or this one which cost a little less and gets you the horse power and torque that you can feel. Until the header and the upgrade kit from psi comes out I think this will fill the need for speed for now. Later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Looks nice. Ridiculously overpriced IMO, but that's normal for a new item for a vehicle with little(no) aftermarket. Where is the filter located? I can't tell from pics.
Thanks for posting results! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
Yea it was way overpriced, but what can I say, I got it anyways! LOL And As far as where the filter is sitting, it sits right in front of the left front tire . Basically the top left of the left fender...


Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
awesome, there's a group buy thread going on, it'll be under 300 shipped to your door if anyone is interested. i only posted this here because some may not look at the for sale section.

i'm going to post a link to this thread for people that wonder about power gains!!!! glad you enjoy it, i'm sure i will! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
JPK said:
It was a 4th gear pull so that's pretty damn good. All the stock pulls that clocked around 210 whp have been 3rd gear pulls.
So what is the more accurate measure of actual power?

Because if our car is advertised as 205 hp and is supposed to be "underrated", wouldn't the third gear pull be more realistic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Hey, did you have to do anything to the body to get the intake to fit? When i was looking at the install sheet on the Gravana site it looked like they cut part of the undercarraige to get it to fit in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
shaneathan said:
So what is the more accurate measure of actual power?

Because if our car is advertised as 205 hp and is supposed to be "underrated", wouldn't the third gear pull be more realistic?

4th is more accurate as it's closer to a 1:1 gear ratio as opposed to third.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
doc said:
Hey, did you have to do anything to the body to get the intake to fit? When i was looking at the install sheet on the Gravana site it looked like they cut part of the undercarraige to get it to fit in there.
by the looks of it, we don't have to cut anything. the bends seem to be just right to crawl up into the fenderwell, and there's plenty of space for a 3" tube to get up there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Vita said:
4th is more accurate as it's closer to a 1:1 gear ratio as opposed to third.
So apparently our car isn't underrated then.

And what gear are the srt-4s we have heard about dynoing at stock? In 4th gear or 3rd? Because if we are at 188 in 4th, aren't srt-4s dynoing at like 220 stock, in 4th or 3rd? what gives here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
shaneathan said:
So apparently our car isn't underrated then.

And what gear are the srt-4s we have heard about dynoing at stock? In 4th gear or 3rd? Because if we are at 188 in 4th, aren't srt-4s dynoing at like 220 stock, in 4th or 3rd? what gives here?
it also all depends on the dyno, my car stock and with airbox removed was relatively low compared to other dyno's i've seen. something like 186hp, and an SRT with big intercooler, 3" exhaust, hardpipes, and a bunch of other mods like boost controller dyno'd 220 or so on the same dyno as me, in 4th gear with the same guy operating/configuring it. i don't know what the SRT "should" have dyno'd, but i assume it should have been higher according to what i've seen on the SRT forums.

the only thing you can really count on is the same car, same dyno, same conditions with different parts, that way you can tell roughly the power gains to expect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
IERedLine said:
Hey guys,

I actually purchased my Intake today from Saturn Of Cerritos, and installed it tonight as well. All I can say is hot damn it pulls hard, the powerband is sooooo much smoother and the bucking bronco effect that I thought was from the PCM needing to be reflashed went away completely. Its worth the money IMHO. I will post some pics tomorrow its 1 am here and Im dead tired...

Scott
Did you install it yourself or did Saturn do it. How much does Saturn charge for the work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Just a question, how did you break your car in? I've been reading a lot that says you should romp on your car right when you get it, to help the rings seal. I was wondering if you were fairly hard on it right out of the box, or if you took it easy for the first few hunderd miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
There is a group buy being organized by Vita that drops the price to $284.00 :D
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top