Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im Tryin To Find Out How Reliable The Moter Is In The Ion Redline. I Am Goin To Probably Purchase A Cobalt Ss And It Has The Same Ecotec As The Ion Redline. Just Wanted To Know If Anyone Is Having Any Problems With The Moter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
IMPALASS96 said:
Im Tryin To Find Out How Reliable The Moter Is In The Ion Redline. I Am Goin To Probably Purchase A Cobalt Ss And It Has The Same Ecotec As The Ion Redline. Just Wanted To Know If Anyone Is Having Any Problems With The Moter
it's a brand new motor out for less than a year. your closest comparison would be the SAAB variant to find out about reliability, although the ecotec itself has become known as very reliable. as long as it stays stock, i'm sure the 2.0 is about as reliable as you can get with a blown factory motor. no major problems, just a few design quirks so far
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
BTW, I'll mention this here. Chevy rates the 0-60 on the Cobalt SS at 6.4 Sec and the Red Line is Rated at 6.2 Sec. Interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Vita said:
it's a brand new motor out for less than a year. your closest comparison would be the SAAB variant to find out about
Not quite true. Pontiac stuffed the 2.2 ECO into the GT Sunfires midyear in 2002. True the supercharger is new in 2004 for a production ECOtec, but the basic engine had been in production since mid '02. And the 2L & 2.2L are the same engine, only the rod was shortened to give better rod angle for a boosted engine. And I am aware that the rods and pistons are forged in the 2.0 vs cast and powder forged in the 2.2, but that has no bearing on the engine design, only longevity under boosted conditions.

And for what it's worth, my '02 Sunfire GT hauls ass given it's weight and NA status. 2.2L ECOtec's rock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Aeain said:
BTW, I'll mention this here. Chevy rates the 0-60 on the Cobalt SS at 6.4 Sec and the Red Line is Rated at 6.2 Sec. Interesting.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHH....wrong. chevy has it rated at 6.2 in the 0-60, and its been tested at 6.0 by motortrend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Beware of the Cobalt SS

I own a Redline and am very prowd of it. Not to diss the Cobalt but I have a good friend that works for Alamo and he told me that the Cobalt SS and the regular Cobalts are having lots of problems with the fuel tank and the fuel guages. He said the car runs great but he was pissed when the tank read 1/4 full and he ran out of gas. Also when you are filling the tank using the handle holding clip and it unclips itself as if the tank was full... you often only have about 1/2 a tank. He believes there is something wrong with the tubing going from the filling spout to the tank.

What I would do is ask around before you buy and see what's up.
Just some info you all take it easy!

RicanSpeed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
RicanSpeed said:
I own a Redline and am very prowd of it. Not to diss the Cobalt but I have a good friend that works for Alamo and he told me that the Cobalt SS and the regular Cobalts are having lots of problems with the fuel tank and the fuel guages. He said the car runs great but he was pissed when the tank read 1/4 full and he ran out of gas. Also when you are filling the tank using the handle holding clip and it unclips itself as if the tank was full... you often only have about 1/2 a tank. He believes there is something wrong with the tubing going from the filling spout to the tank.

What I would do is ask around before you buy and see what's up.
Just some info you all take it easy!

RicanSpeed
well, thats kinda hard to believe the SS's are having problems because the car isnt even out yet. so yeah. that and im lookin at official papers, and even an advertisment by chevy in a magazine that says 6.1 actually...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Well its a new car, I hear the 04 redlines have a few little kinks too, im sure GM will get em out in the cobalt as well. I'm looking more at a Cobalt SS S/C but I'm also interested in the redline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
I have seen very few builder claims that held true in the real world. Of course GM is going to hype the Cobalt, and give it the best numbers that could be generated with some belief. The Cobalt is hoped to be a money maker for GM, so they will say it will do X when in the real world, it will do y .

Only way to really compare will be when the SS is on the street and real world numbers will be available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
Not quite true. Pontiac stuffed the 2.2 ECO into the GT Sunfires midyear in 2002. True the supercharger is new in 2004 for a production ECOtec, but the basic engine had been in production since mid '02. And the 2L & 2.2L are the same engine, only the rod was shortened to give better rod angle for a boosted engine. And I am aware that the rods and pistons are forged in the 2.0 vs cast and powder forged in the 2.2, but that has no bearing on the engine design, only longevity under boosted conditions.

And for what it's worth, my '02 Sunfire GT hauls ass given it's weight and NA status. 2.2L ECOtec's rock.
true, but wasn't it a SAAB engine first, then in the ions before they put in all the 4cyl models, like the grand am, cavi, and fire?

and i was generally referring to the 2.0 in the RL and SSs/c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The First Shipment Of The Cobalt Ss Have Finally Arived....mostly On The East Cost, And There Are Only A Few(about 30) That I Know About
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Vita said:
true, but wasn't it a SAAB engine first, then in the ions before they put in all the 4cyl models, like the grand am, cavi, and fire?

and i was generally referring to the 2.0 in the RL and SSs/c
It is what we call a global engine nowadays. The days of chevy, olds, buick, yada, yada engines are over. They are all GM corporate engines that find their ways into various vehicles.

An article that I read detailed GM's desire to beat the Honda boys at FWD drag racing and asked the R&D guys what engine did they think had a chance to do a thump & bump on a honda motor. They researched ALL GM engines and came back with they thought the ECOtec platform had the most potential to be a high HP race engine. At that time it was being used in GM's European divisions. Mid 2002, the 2.4 Twin Cam was ceased and the 2.2 ECOtec was put into the Sunfire GTs as a production engine. This set the way for GM to race a factory Sunfire in FWD and have a legal ECOtec in it. In the 2003 season, you saw such a 2003 Sunfire. There has never been a more active car company in racing(GM) that goes out of its way to deny being heavily involved in racing. Putting the 2.2 ECO in the Sunfire GT in ' mid '02 set the stage for what they had in mind for 2003 and beyond.

And when you compare engines, you are comparing design, not components.
When you compare the 2.2 and the 2.0 it is the same design. Like a 327 and 350 chevy engine are the exact same design with different components yielding different cu in displacements. ... they're the exact same engine.

Take the 2.0 ECOtec, swap some bolt on parts, and it becomes a 2.2 ECO... take a 2.2 ECO and do the ol' swaap thingy and voila!, you got a 2.0 with either a turbo, SC or FI. we're talking apples & apples here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
IMPALASS96 said:
The First Shipment Of The Cobalt Ss Have Finally Arived....mostly On The East Cost, And There Are Only A Few(about 30) That I Know About
Looks like Ganley Chevy on Lorain RD Cleveland is getting a black one. I have a hunch that it will be at the greater cleveland international car show that starts this weekend. If it is, I'll take pics and post.

I was staring at a Red Line last year at that show and liked what I was looking at and was intrigued by what the model was saying about it, but little did I know that I would wind up owning one in Sept.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top