Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rlinbatonrouge, if you are around, I really want to hear if you have done this yet.

Quick Time Electric Cutout Package Single 2.5''


Also, if so where did you put it? Past the cat, i believe was the consenus, otherwise you would be throwing codes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SoCo Lime said:
:cough: i know someone else who has a sneaky exhaust setup like this also :cough:

Does 'your friend' like it? Do he or she feel a difference in power, good or bad?

Do you know where 'your frined' installed it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JPK said:
I'd like to know the best placement for this also. I plan on getting one of these soon.
I am probably going to throw it after the cat, so I don't throw any codes... I think i could move it up, but then I would need one of thoes O2 simulators to keep the ecu quiet.

What are your thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dazednconfused75 said:
If you put it before the cat would it run wrong it just shine a CEL?
I vaguely remember from a post like a month ago, bypassing one or both of those 02 sensors would throw a CEL, and go into limp mode and you would have to reset totally by unplugging the batt, tapping your shoes three times, and sacrificing a virgin. But I have not seen this confirmed.

But nothing would make me happier then bypassing the cat alltogether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
ptparker said:
I am probably going to throw it after the cat, so I don't throw any codes... I think i could move it up, but then I would need one of thoes O2 simulators to keep the ecu quiet.

What are your thoughts?

I was thinking between the cat and the resonator would be a good place.

Where are the sensors in our exhaust system? I know there is one on the manifold (header) and I thought there was one on the cat or maybe before or after it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
ptparker said:
I vaguely remember from a post like a month ago, bypassing one or both of those 02 sensors would throw a CEL, and go into limp mode and you would have to reset totally by unplugging the batt, tapping your shoes three times, and sacrificing a virgin. But I have not seen this confirmed.

But nothing would make me happier then bypassing the cat alltogether.

Bypassing the cat would be the only way my friend would consider doing it for the strip. I would never take my warrantied vehicle to a track or run without a cat on the street but my friend doesn't feel the same way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
Sorry I've been away from the baords for awhile now. I talked with the designer of the valve. I sent him full pictures of the exhaust system and he suggested placing the valve before the muffler after the second 90 bend in the pipe when it's heading to the rear of the car. I'll have to get underneath my car tomorrow and snap some pictures. I'll also include where I placed the switch in the car. No real noticable boost in power, but it sure is neat. I'm not completly done with the install and I'm planning on a dyno in the near future. Email me with questions at [email protected]. I'll have the pics and vid up late Wed night. Sorry about the delay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
I don't understand why he would suggest putting it so far back in the system. :confused:

I thought the whole point of this thing was to get the exhaust gasses out as quickly and easily as possible, not have it go through two curves, the resonator and only cut out the muffler.

Doesn't make sense to me. Seems it would yield more gain (or at least some) the closer to the engine you could place it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
JPK said:
I don't understand why he would suggest putting it so far back in the system. :confused:

I thought the whole point of this thing was to get the exhaust gasses out as quickly and easily as possible, not have it go through two curves, the resonator and only cut out the muffler.

Doesn't make sense to me. Seems it would yield more gain (or at least some) the closer to the engine you could place it.
sounds about right to me
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
What it sounds like, is the exhaust dosen't have enough time to accelerrate down the pipe. I feel like this is coming back to large, short pipe, vs. long skinny pipe... I'm not sure, if anyone else wanted to try it, perhaps they could attach a long, straight, 2.5"-3" pipe to the cutout, have it go straight out to the side or something. Just as a test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sp00ner said:
What it sounds like, is the exhaust dosen't have enough time to accelerrate down the pipe. I feel like this is coming back to large, short pipe, vs. long skinny pipe... I'm not sure, if anyone else wanted to try it, perhaps they could attach a long, straight, 2.5"-3" pipe to the cutout, have it go straight out to the side or something. Just as a test.

That wouldn't be a bad idea.... I wish I could, I cant weld or bend metal, but I think that this whole concept has a lot of potential... Maybe like 5 or 6 HP, but also alot of fun, and contributing to that whole sleeper car... It is just your ride to work until you hit the switch... :D

i want to see and hear rlinbatonrouge's setup, though
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
You wouldn't need to for test purposes... you could just buy a section of pipe at autozone, one that will slip over the cut out, and just attach it to the underside of the car, and have it exit in front of the rear wheels or something. Don't need a bend in it at all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sp00ner said:
You wouldn't need to for test purposes... you could just buy a section of pipe at autozone, one that will slip over the cut out, and just attach it to the underside of the car, and have it exit in front of the rear wheels or something. Don't need a bend in it at all...

But don't i have to weld the cutout in in the first place?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
rlinbatonrouge said:
Sorry I've been away from the baords for awhile now. I talked with the designer of the valve. I sent him full pictures of the exhaust system and he suggested placing the valve before the muffler after the second 90 bend in the pipe when it's heading to the rear of the car. I'll have to get underneath my car tomorrow and snap some pictures. I'll also include where I placed the switch in the car. No real noticable boost in power, but it sure is neat. I'm not completly done with the install and I'm planning on a dyno in the near future. Email me with questions at [email protected]. I'll have the pics and vid up late Wed night. Sorry about the delay

thats where "my friend" ;) put his. it shounds sweet. if you dont like hearing yourself think :eek: . lol anyways i just have the y pipe now and will upgrade to the electric cutoff within the month
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top