Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 05 redline with the motor locked up with 25 k miles from a junker who wanted to do now how much to fix it first. after pulling the plugs to check for any hydrolocking,I called my old Saturn service manager to see if he knew of any issues that may be the cause. He thought he remembered something that concerned only the supercharged ions, but could not be sure and said to contact my gm dealer and have them do a search of both published and unpublished programs, he also thought there may be some customer assistance. I came up with nothing. Every other saturn tech I've asked seems to remember something about oil pressure or timing chains and the others can't remember a thing about them, in fact one said there almost bulletproof, even the yard I'm buying the used one from said they've never had a call for the 2.0 P motor only the 2.2 and 2.4s. I pulled the cam cover and found the timing chains in tact, but found a slight metalic sheen to the oil residue inside and the cam cover underside has 3/4 of it blackened from what I'm assuming is burnt oil. Checked the pcm and bcm for codes - none and all monitors are set to ready. I'm just dumbfounded on how a motor with that low of miles could go unless the original owner just beat it or neglected it. the paper work shows he just finished paying for it in June of this year. What I'm really after is if there is something to look out for with my next motor and should I buy the extended warranty on it. Thanks in advance for any and all comments

·
Registered
583 Posts
These motors are rock solid, at this time I would drop the oil pan and take a look at the crankshaft/ rod bearings.

I wouldnt bother with used engine extended warranty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was a service advisor for saturn, it was "ONLY ON 2.2 ecotec motors" for the timimg chain. They replaced all of the timing chain components. Chain, sporckets and tensioner

·
Registered
294 Posts
So you ruled out Hydrolocking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts