Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help on my 04 ion r/l. Engine just started ticking behind the pulley. It sounds like it is coming from the pass side of the engine at the top. The faster the rpm's the faster the ticking. It is not very loud but very noticable. Been told that it is the cam followers by one person but saturn does not know what the cam follower is. Can anyone tell me what it could be?:shrug03:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
hcfd203 said:
Looking for help on my 04 ion r/l. Engine just started ticking behind the pulley. It sounds like it is coming from the pass side of the engine at the top. The faster the rpm's the faster the ticking. It is not very loud but very noticable. Been told that it is the cam followers by one person but saturn does not know what the cam follower is. Can anyone tell me what it could be?:shrug03:
It most definetly sounds like your timing chain. I would have them check that out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. They first had said that is prolly what it was. How long do those timing chains last? I only just hit 39,xxx miles on it. Is it something that just has became loose or is it something you think that i need to have a new timing chain put on it? It doesn't effect the performance of the car or anything, just ticks. Also should it not be driven.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
hcfd203 said:
What did it sound like besides ticking? My car sounds like its doing the same I start to hear it at around 2k and then it gets over powered by my exhuast at 4k but the ticking gets louder and faster every time I accelerate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Redline Owner22 said:
What did it sound like besides ticking? My car sounds like its doing the same I start to hear it at around 2k and then it gets over powered by my exhuast at 4k but the ticking gets louder and faster every time I accelerate.

This video shows what it sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9huwAibdBo
See if this is what it sounds like. It is exactly what mine sounds like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ticking noise that is on the pully side of the engine at the top. It is the chain tensioner. It is a very easy fix. Got the part from napa, and within one hour. It was done. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is there a how-to for this fix?

I have the same issue, especially in hot temps but it will stop sometimes, all by itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's the video of my engine... If it is just the tensioner it shouldn't be that big of a fix. If it is a guide somewhere down in below the tensioner part be ready for them to pull the engine and put a whole new timing chain on. I was out of warranty and it wasn't cheap by any means ($700).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SHERMANTURBO said:
Is there a how-to for this fix?

I have the same issue, especially in hot temps but it will stop sometimes, all by itself.
I never really found a how to fix for it. I just kept looking on the internet till i found pictures that someone took building the same engine. It is really easy to fix. The tensioner is on the back of the engine, pully side. It looks like a big screw. It is 32mm. All you have to do is unscrew it(be careful to make sure there is no tension left on it). Slide out the old one. Take a mirror a look in side the engine block. You should see a little arm thing sticking up with a roller on it. If that is right in the middle of the hole, slide in your new tensioner and screw it down. You should hear a little pop(that is the tension setting). And that is it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
hcfd203 said:
I never really found a how to fix for it. I just kept looking on the internet till i found pictures that someone took building the same engine. It is really easy to fix. The tensioner is on the back of the engine, pully side. It looks like a big screw. It is 32mm. All you have to do is unscrew it(be careful to make sure there is no tension left on it). Slide out the old one. Take a mirror a look in side the engine block. You should see a little arm thing sticking up with a roller on it. If that is right in the middle of the hole, slide in your new tensioner and screw it down. You should hear a little pop(that is the tension setting). And that is it.
Hmmm...looks like you need to make a how-to! :thinkerg: :facelick:
I'm hearing some ticking but I'm afraid to mess with that kind of thing unless I know exactly what I'm doing.
Oh, and I have no warranty so it has to be me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts