Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
eco tec is like a civic so add a super charger take 10,000 off the life , if you are a Teen take another 10 off that , get oil changes every 3000 mile, periodic tune ups etc then the car should last 110,000 miles easy (around this time alternator and stuff may go bad but engine will still work fine for a lil longer!
My cavy reg 2.2 2000 is at 120,000 with turbo and still runs good just had to replace the belts to ac and alternator 10,000 mile ago (Im gonna take her to track and blow her up thoe :D :p ) 125 shot nos kit and turn boost up to 25
I ran 14.8 a couple times on 12 boost no nos so well see what happens!!!
If no one buys it off me before summer, if not it will be like need for speed :D (drag hahahah)

this is just my opinion the 2.2 reg was built less sturdy then eco so it should stand up better than mine ! :D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm an EXPERT, but I mean, it mostly depends on a lot of factors as to how long it will last. If you mean, how long will it last before something goes wrong? Maybe a week, maybe 6 months if you're lucky. As to how long you can drive it and it'll run good, I'd say the sky's the limit if you treat the car good, don't beat the shit out of it, and fix it when something goes wrong. I've seen all kinds of cars - Civics, Corollas, GMC 1500-series trucks, F150s, corvettes, saturns, and Camaros run forever and a day. If you do a search on the internet there's a story of a Corolla that had 1,000,000 miles on it. It's just how good of care you take of it. As for the redline, with people taking it to the track and seeing just what mods they can do to make it go just as fast as possible, they'll survive to about 80,000 and blow the hell up. But I'm not a doctor.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Saturn has been known to make there engines last really long :)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
i give mine a few more weeks

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
I wouldn't say I'm an EXPERT, but I mean, it mostly depends on a lot of factors as to how long it will last. If you mean, how long will it last before something goes wrong? Maybe a week, maybe 6 months if you're lucky. As to how long you can drive it and it'll run good, I'd say the sky's the limit if you treat the car good, don't beat the shit out of it, and fix it when something goes wrong. I've seen all kinds of cars - Civics, Corollas, GMC 1500-series trucks, F150s, corvettes, saturns, and Camaros run forever and a day. If you do a search on the internet there's a story of a Corolla that had 1,000,000 miles on it. It's just how good of care you take of it. As for the redline, with people taking it to the track and seeing just what mods they can do to make it go just as fast as possible, they'll survive to about 80,000 and blow the hell up. But I'm not a doctor.
Yup, it just depends on the driver, maintenance, and a LOT of luck. My first car was a 1981 Camaro POS. It had 150,000 miles when I got it, with the original engine (I think), we replaced the tranny when I first got it. My stepdad told me only girls drive automatics! It then ran, with no major engine work, up to 250,000 miles. I beat the shit out of it every day. I even drove it from Florida to Chicago and back with 230,000 miles on it. Would I expect another Camaro of the exact same year and model to last? No. But that one did!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 96 sc2 that I bought new lasted 210k, still had the original water pump, alternator and starter, great car. That car ran reg oil for it's full life.
I'm thinkin since my new RL comes from the factory with synthectic that should increase motor life. As long as the fluids and filters are properly maintained the motor itself should last into the 200k range.
Now, driving style! This car was not engineered to be a race/drag car! If you consistently drive in city stop-n-go traffic, hammer it at every green light, or take it to the strip weekly, 100-125k would be a F&*#ing miracle!
If you want one of these for a race/drag car then tear it down, change pistons, cam, valve, lifter etc to high performance quality, oh and a different tranny also.
If the car is driven on the interstate mostly and not hammered from a dead stop all the time and it's well maintained 175k-250 is very possible. After all these factors are calculated the one variable is the engineering that went into the drivetrain, and none of us have control over that.
In my opinion, the weakest link in all modern cars is the mass quanities of electronic's. We have sensors for our sensors! :eek:

BeRad

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Actually, the whole bottom/middle end of the engine IS built to race. From the oil jet cooled, forged(?) pistons, sodium filled valves, steel crankshaft, timing CHAIN, and oil cooler/sump assembly, it's pretty well built. Most of the common things you do to 'beef' up and engine are already done. I'm not disagreeing that taking it to the strip ever week won't shorten it's life span, but the thing is built more solid than any car I've owned yet.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
holy raise dead!

i was reading the first response and was about to post "holy crap! cvenom! they let him out?!"

mine's at 102k on original clutch.

most cars around here don't go away because the engine stops running, it's because they've rotted to the point that they're not structurally sound any more (or you'd have to redo all the brake and fuel lines). that can be between 10-15 years on average.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My older brother has a 1999 GTP that he bought new and it has 216,000 on original motor. He has done the transmission twice though.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
My older brother has a 1999 GTP that he bought new and it has 216,000 on original motor. He has done the transmission twice though.
My 1998 Regal GS has over 250,000 on original motor and trans. I don't know the exact milage since the gauge cluster is digital and it wont light up. But last year it flashed on and said 243,000.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
the town cars at my limo job could easily have 375,000 miles or more on original trannies and motors.

·
Registered
667 Posts
5 years for me in december with almost 56k miles on it never had a problem. not even the ic pump :)

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
68k on stock clutch and internals. Basically oil changes and making sure filters and plugs are cleaned and changed and engine is free of dirt and dust cuz it CAN get in tight spots.

Im still on stock battery and its dies on me 3 times with lights and audio. Still waiting on timing chain, alternator, starter, etc.

Its pretty much hit or miss on how you drive it and maintain it like most others say. The engine itself should last over 200k, its more of the surrounding parts of the car that you wanna check on.

I had a 95' S-10 with 110k cuz it sat as a 2nd car then i got it and it was my DD and i did mod to it and finally headgasket started to give and thats when i knew i couldnt afford to fix it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
so when you pop your hg on the rl your seling it? well lmk as soon as it happens

1 - 20 of 25 Posts