Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys gotta quick question for ya. Car got much louder lately and I have kinda been expecting it as I thought it sounded too loud from quite awhile ago. Is there some sort of gasket that goes here and if so and I got one, is this fixable?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Arm Human body Wood Thigh Elbow

·
Super Moderator
1,614 Posts
Wow. Never seen them do that. Yes a gasket goea there. They look warped though

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I don't have a exhaust leak but I have a rattle that is probably in the same location as those metal heat shields

that does not look good (corrosion)

funny there is a censor on your picture -

·
Super Moderator
1,614 Posts
Flange

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is the cat-to-resonator joint. When I bought my RL one of those bolts had been sheared off (probably from the previous owner replacing the flex pipe by welding in a solid piece of pipe). Is the joint just sagging? I would soak the bolts with a good penetrating oil and see if you can get the nuts off...CAREFULLY! It was a PIA to pop the remnants of that splined bolt out. Now I don't know when to shift because I can't here the engine anymore. jk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the cat-to-resonator joint. When I bought my RL one of those bolts had been sheared off (probably from the previous owner replacing the flex pipe by welding in a solid piece of pipe). Is the joint just sagging? I would soak the bolts with a good penetrating oil and see if you can get the nuts off...CAREFULLY! It was a PIA to pop the remnants of that splined bolt out. Now I don't know when to shift because I can't here the engine anymore. jk
I see, thank you for that. It's not sagging. As far as I can tell. Just loud. I already cut the ends of the bolts off but drilling these out is proving extremely difficult for me, but I'm no mechanic by any means. Jb welded a ring around it but that's only temporary of course. Ugh, I need a damn lift......too old for this, craning-the-broken-glass, where my neck used to be.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see, thank you for that. It's not sagging. As far as I can tell. Just loud. I already cut the ends of the bolts off but drilling these out is proving extremely difficult for me, but I'm no mechanic by any means. Jb welded a ring around it but that's only temporary of course. Ugh, I need a damn lift......too old for this, craning-the-broken-glass, where my neck used to be.
Happen to know the diameter of this pipe, before flanged section? Anybody?
Anybody?
Anybody?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried drilling out the sheared bolt I had. It's splined in the flange. I ended up soaking it w/ penetrant and hitting it out w/ an air hammer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts