Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed an Exhaust note change at different times? Seems sometimes, the exhaust sound is nice and smootha and power dlivery seems tobe very smooth. But sometimes it sounds a bit rougher and the power delivery seems off, almost jumpy feeling.

I'm wondering if this could be the cat blocked after over 8000 miles before the reflash.

Also, speaking od reflash, any word on if the reflash may sometimes "not take", as in t it seems the problems from before are back after a while?

Thanks, Kirt

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I notice it too. depending on gear and throttle position. The car will seem jumpy and make odd noises. And I can notice all the changes in the exhaust becuase it HUGE.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yeah same here, I put 6k on mine before i got my 04 flashed, I notice that jumpy feeling when I'm steady accelerating in second gear up to 4k rpms then I shift. I hope my cat blows out my tailpipe so I can get a new one under warranty. Just so I can know my cat is ok for sure.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking it is the cat more and more. When I first start the car cold, there is a miss here and there. They said at first it was bad gas, but sure enough, it was bettr right after the flash. I think it is still running rich, is the feeling I get anyway. I'm going to get a temp probe and check the difference on a coupl of vehicles cats, then do mine and see if it is getting hotter. Something in there is not right, I can tell that for sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Does anybody get really bad backfiring when downshifting? I can hear it very well when I have the exhaust cutout open. I had heard that it has something to do with the s/c and f/i but I can't remember. Anybody know what I am talking about?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I had the backfiring before the reflash. It isn't so bad if I matched throttle speed to engine speed. Just blipping the throttle up some helped, but it was still present.
After the flash, It still happens some, but not as much. matching speeds gets rid of it completely.

Another thing that makes me think it is still running rich.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yrethguad said:
Backfiring?!?! You sure it's not just regular popping?
Yeah, I think thats what he means. My SRT4 used to do that ALOT after I changed to 3" turbo-back with a 3" downpipe. aka no cat or resinator :)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
not really sure of the exhaust note, as i'm always listening to music, but i do definitely notice she'll be nice and smooth at times, and it feels like a dream to drive, but mostly when getting on it, seems like something is holding it back. i want to tell them to check the cat, but unless i have some sort of logical symptom/reason for them to, i'm sure they'll refrain from replacing it if it's not completely dead.

any thoughts on what exactly we should say? i was thinking something like hesitation under WOT, but it seems they'll tell me under WOT the car "should" feel rougher.

anyone with a cat that blew out have any suggestions?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have noticed small black specs on the driveway where I park. Watching when I start the car, makes me wonder what is burnt up inside the exhaust.

But yeah, to Vita, that is what it feels like. as though it feels rougher under throttle. Sometimes the power is very smooth and others, it feels like something is holding it back running it rough. Almost like there is a restriction in the exhaust, which is why I am suspecting the cat...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Vita said:
not really sure of the exhaust note, as i'm always listening to music, but i do definitely notice she'll be nice and smooth at times, and it feels like a dream to drive, but mostly when getting on it, seems like something is holding it back. i want to tell them to check the cat, but unless i have some sort of logical symptom/reason for them to, i'm sure they'll refrain from replacing it if it's not completely dead.

any thoughts on what exactly we should say? i was thinking something like hesitation under WOT, but it seems they'll tell me under WOT the car "should" feel rougher.

anyone with a cat that blew out have any suggestions?

they replaced my cat because the check engine light kept coming on again and again, within a half hour of resetting the computer the light would come back on. the code was related to the emissions from the cat.
they replaced sensors first apparently, and then the cat later.

my point is that if the cat is not working properly, then the sensors will detect it, and throw a code.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
my_bd said:
my point is that if the cat is not working properly, then the sensors will detect it, and throw a code.
but it COULD be working properly, while not performing at 100%.

my car was running rich (with code) for quite some time, and that's why i think mines been affected. i'm going to hold some paper or something over the exhaust and have the woman rev it up a bit to see if crap comes out. can't hurt to check. and i assume stuff's not supposed to come flying out of your exhaust (aside from smog)

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Kirtsky said:
I have noticed small black specs on the driveway where I park. Watching when I start the car, makes me wonder what is burnt up inside the exhaust.
That's what my old SL1 did, and we couldn't find out the problem. It's soot coming out. My car was definitely running rich, as once warmed up it would not run right, and got 13 mpg. Seriously. 13. We could not find the prob, and it wasn't cat.

So that may be a sign of running rich, either way, that may clog up your cat.

For what it's worth. Totally different car.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
There's really no good definitive way to figure out if the cat is bad, or part bad. The honeycomb can melt a bit, and you'd never know the difference holding up a piece of paper or anything, that I know of, I could be wrong! Replace it, and cut the sucker in half... if it's bad, you gotta figure out why. Is that what the reflash did, fix the car from running so rich?? If so, the depending on how long you drove it for, you could have done much damage, or no damage. Too many variables that no one knows. My cat melted almost completely closed on the Camaro, to the point where the car wouldn't run right. They figurerd out it was the cat real fast, had the exhaust done, they cut it open and saw it was melted. Picked up the car and before the end of the next day, it was in the exact same shape. Turns out I had a problem in my fuel injection somewhere. I forget if it was an injector or what, but the car was running super rich and melting the cat. $1000 later... plus $400 for the exaust... :eek:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i guess i'll just have to take the chance, and replace it when i do my exhaust. i'm sure they won't be overly eager to replace the cat, especially if it's not causing any HUGE problems, if it's the cat at all...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
is this cat thing present even in a car that was bought recently?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm not sure if this helps but my wifes RL and my RL both sound sorta ricer tin can sounding when cold but after driving 2 or 3 miles it gets deeper and the tin can goes away. The funny thing is my wifes is still stock exhaust and mine has upgraded pipe and stainless flowmaster.

One other thing my car was stinking like rotten eggs out the exaust (a sighn of a cat prob) three months ago took it to the dealer and they said to keep driving it. It did finally go away two weeks later. Sounded wierd to me but they where right.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
ok.. after reading every post heres my .02 cents

cats not the issue here... it's the richness of the engine and the carbon build up.. the rotten egg smell is a good thing.. means the engine is buring all of gobs of carbon in the cylnders and throwing it out the exhaust.. i know i would rather have carbon coming out the exhaust then in the engine... anyway the holding back thing i have yet to hear at the dealership.. but my guess would be that if the cat was bad(which happens a lot in to 2.2 ecotec's for the L series) when u reach like 4K rpm's the car will seem to fall flat on it's face and basicly almost stop accelerating... when that happens then your car is deff bad but a code should come up well before that happens

1 - 20 of 23 Posts