Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that this was posted a while ago but i can not find it, and i am sick of looking, i actually got 2 questions.

1: for u guys who just did the 2.5 all the way back and the new muffler, what is the part # or type of muffler that u used and about how much did you pay.

2: for the couple people who have dual exhaust can i get a couple pics posted of the set up and any parts you needed to get it done.

i am sorry if this was already posted, in fact i know it was just cant find it and in a hurry to get all my info together. i am gonna try to get this work done next week.

thanks for the info in advanced.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
when it stops raining Ill crawl my ass under my car to snap a few of the duals for ya. Till then I have some pics in the pics/media at the beginig somewehre of it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks goofy, u have 3 inch correct. is that 3 inch all the way and how much did it cost you to get it all done?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Why would you want to increase the size of the pipe? You're going to lose rather than gain

·
Registered
762 Posts
IeatRice said:
Why would you want to increase the size of the pipe? You're going to lose rather than gain
Actually we don't really lose goofy said he's noticed a nice performance diff its in one of his other threads. Also this is a nice start so that when we are adding other parts the bigger pipe is going to come into play significantly :) I'm actually looking for some dual tips I may be photoshopping some in a few I'll post a pic if I do. I actually have to do some other stuff first

·
Registered
535 Posts
2.5 is about the max you can go. I did and I noticed a decent gain. If your woried about the weight and/or price, you can go with a axle back. a 2.25 from the cat to the axle and 2.5 from a axle to the muffler will give a nice sound but if you go with any modds later like new S/C, header, ect... you will never see their full potental. It all depends on your long term planns for th car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
gm3saturn said:
2.5 is about the max you can go. I did and I noticed a decent gain. If your woried about the weight and/or price, you can go with a axle back. a 2.25 from the cat to the axle and 2.5 from a axle to the muffler .

so why would you drop the size of the pipe from the cat to the axle and then bump it up again after the axle. it's already 2.5 all the back to the axle then is droped to 2.25

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so basically its what i figured i was gonna have to do and got with 2.5 from the axle back and than just put in a new muffler in, now who has what for mufflers?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
navymitch12 said:
so basically its what i figured i was gonna have to do and got with 2.5 from the axle back and than just put in a new muffler in, now who has what for mufflers?
I'm going with a Borla... Magnaflow as a Redline project car from the look of the website, the have mufflers and a cat back coming out.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Who the hell designed our original mufflers? They look like the same muffler from my SC2, has that same 'box-designed-by-a-blind-man' look to it. It's huge too, I'll lose 100lbs of weight takin it off! ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats exactly what i was thinking, its like wow that is big, so i want to replace it asap.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I've compared the Borla and the Magnaflow when Austin brought his RL to my house.

My Mangaflow sounds more raspy and loud and the Borla sounded smoother and not quite as loud.

Of course, his Borla was an 18" and my Magnaflow is a 14", so that could explain mine being louder.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
The magnaflows are loud and raspy that is true. Get a resonator put in there. I hated the way mine sounded up to yesterday when I welded in a resonator. It made it DEEEEEEEEP and sound bad ass now. It does not get raspy at all and the inside noise is almost quieter than stock. Moral of the story get a resonator if you want it to sound good.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Did you have the stock resonator removed when you did your exhaust Goofy?

I still have the stock one on there and was wondering if replacing it with an aftermarket one would make any difference.

I like the sound of the exhaust now but it IS a bit loud in the cockpit.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I got rid of the tiny stocker and put a big meaty 3 inch in/out by 24 long bastard in there. That made all the differnce. I didnt have one at all and the car sounded like a crx with a huge can all raspy like. Now its deep and throaty.

·
Registered
535 Posts
johnboy8221 said:
so why would you drop the size of the pipe from the cat to the axle and then bump it up again after the axle. it's already 2.5 all the back to the axle then is droped to 2.25
Its not dropping size because the stock pipe is 2.25 If you keep it stock from the cat to the axle, then 2.5 from the axle to a new muffler, you have a axle back exhaust. Does that make more scence?

·
Registered
291 Posts
yea now i getcha thats what i did to mine just made the axle back bigger to match with the rest of the exaust

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
and on a forced induction vehicle larger exhuast is the easiest way to gain power. There is a really no limit to how big you can go without losing power.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hey goofyguy is that passenger side exaust cutout the same as the driver side one? By that I mean does it have the lip on the inside like the driverside one. Could you please post a pic of the back strait on and maybee a little more ground level?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts