Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so i finnaly got around to checking at a couple places locally about redoing the exhaust (i'm tired of it being quiet, i'm used to a v-8, so i at least want a little volume out of this thing... i know it wont be the same ever :p)
Anyways, shop 1, one of the larger muffler/exhaust shops in town, usually "normal" work, replace a uffler, asked about bigger exhaust, the guy kind of grimaced and said it wouldnt be easy but maybe a size bigger, he said 3 inch would be impossible, and he flat out refused to remove the cat, due to O2 sensor positioning etc.
shop 2, small local performance shop, told me they will do it for dirt cheap, again grimaced about 3 inch, i didnt mention the cat to them (i'm sure they would do it though.)

Are there any problems with putting 3'' on these cars? in terms of bends, holes to put it through, clearance issues with lowering? (dropping it 1.5-2 ... whatever eibach's kit does prolly :))

As for the cat ... do we have 2 O2 sensors, pre-cat and post-cat ? I know if we do this will cause check engine light and probably worse performance ;/
Will removing the cat get rid of my idle/warmed up ticking from the car constantly? Is there another fix? Without cat will i need a resonator?

Thanks for any replies/advice, sorry aobut the long post with a simple question, i just like to post all the detail i can think of :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 3 inch pipe from the cat back no problems so far

·
Registered
493 Posts
re1080 said:
I have 3 inch pipe from the cat back no problems so far
When you put in the 3 inch, did you feel a substantial gain in hp and tq or just hp? I want to put 3 inch, but not if i'm going to lose torque in the mid range of the power band. Also, did you use a straight through muffler or an offset one?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I have 3 inch and dual exhaust so impossible for that shop because they SUCK go somewhere else.

·
Registered
168 Posts
redlined i lost some torque in the lower rpm range but without a doubt gained a lot of top end power. i was willing to lose low end torque because at the track i would spin through first gear

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am running no cat on my car and had a check engine light, but that is an easy fix. All you need is an 02 Simulator to fix the check engine light.

If you need an 02 Simulator...

www.toyomoto.com
Call and ask for Lance shop owner

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
running no cat won't do much for you, we've got GM's largest cat...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts