Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had my redline for about 5 months now and love it..but i dont like the muffler...my dad has a big v8 truck and i love that sound..and cars like ss camaros and gt mustangs..i want that v8 sound so bad!!!...i am planning long term for my car..how should i set up my exhaust system..how can i get that deep sound...what parts should i install, what type of muffler..would the removal of airbox and cold air intake make it louder?...

·
Registered
674 Posts
:confused: Your going to be hard pressed to get that V8 sound with half of the cylinders that make that sound missing........

If you want throty go big in the exhaust tubing, help's get that hollow, bigger displacement sound. V8 sound with a I4 is a pretty tall order though, I don;t think its possible.

I figure why make it sound like a V8? It's a 4 poper and will make those big V8's feel that much worse whrn you dust them off ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Do a Y pipe staight out of the Cat with about 3-3.5 inch pipes. Then sat up each pipe with its own cherry bomb and flowmaster muffler, with no tip. Thats the only plan I can think up. You can also take out the cat, but thats not to legal. Also, This set up should be loud as hell. I dont know if Id try it though. The best way to get that V8 sound is with a v8.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
or drive your car hard for like 7000 miles straight , dont change oil then when compression gets bad it will have that v8 sound on idle :p

sike nah j/k but really its harder to replicate that sound unless u get a intake , throttlebody spacer, upgrade charger pulley, and port polish head.

U technically want no sound comng from exhaust or it loses that V8 status ;)
My brothers friends brother :D has a 04 cobra, he took it to johnny lightning in philly (mustang expert) got it to 500 whp and he did these things to his car and got that baby sounding like a freaking chaotic V8 whining like a crying robot (s/c'ger) sounds hot :cool:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
thermal will be out with an exhaust system for our cars........why i dont know cuz our exhaust is about as good as it could be till we hit crazy amounts of horsepower.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Why dont ya just pop a 427 in there. I drove in a co-workers 63 catalina convertable this weekend. That thing had a real mean exhaust on it. It kinda sounded like a boat at idle......it also drove like a boat lol

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
use 3 inch after the cat into a 24 inch lonh 3 inch in/out muffler. From there 3 inch over the axel the y it off and do a dual 3 inch into 2 more resonator style mufflers into whatever damn tips you like. Mine got deep. Sounds pretty mean at the 2500 mark and its pissed at the 5500+ arena

·
Registered
44 Posts
if your not worried about emmissions, correct fuel/ air ratios and getting pulled over..... disconnect the whole exhaust, it will out noise your dads v8. lmao

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
use 3 inch after the cat into a 24 inch lonh 3 inch in/out muffler. From there 3 inch over the axel the y it off and do a dual 3 inch into 2 more resonator style mufflers into whatever damn tips you like. Mine got deep. Sounds pretty mean at the 2500 mark and its pissed at the 5500+ arena
i'm going to have to look into something like that, minus the dual outlets (extra weight is useless to me). have you posted a sound clip at all???

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
I'm going to try and get a Custom made exhaust here sometime in the next 3-6 months. My idea right now is a Cat-Back Mandarel Bent 3 Inch Tubing through a 14 inch Magnaflow and a Tip the size and shape of the stock one.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I dont have a camera with good sound unfortuanatly. Someday I will find one.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
I dont have a camera with good sound unfortuanatly. Someday I will find one.
is it the same setup as Barry's? i noticed you guys are in the same area.

if so you guys should get it produced for some of us via group buy or something

·
Registered
84 Posts
The sound of a Muscle car is great. If I get a Redline, that would be the first thing I would change.

Anthony

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
73BuickGS455 said:
The sound of a Muscle car is great. If I get a Redline, that would be the first thing I would change.

Anthony
I have an older Corvette with dual pipes and headers now, I bet you would like that sound! I still just start it to listen to it. Too bad it's not as fast as it sounds!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Yeah me and Barry are close too close if you ask me. of all the odds there are 5 redlines in 2 miles of eachother. The setup is all solid there are no clamps so a group sale would be impossible. As well come down here make an appointment with Rod's Exhaust and your done.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Too bad it's not as fast as it sounds!
My SHO is the same way, sounds evil as hell, but not too teribly fast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I have an older Corvette with dual pipes and headers now, I bet you would like that sound! I still just start it to listen to it. Too bad it's not as fast as it sounds!
Some pics of the Vette. I love vettes too, but don't have one. But I do have a 73 Buick GS, what year is your vette?

Anthony

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
73BuickGS455 said:
Some pics of the Vette. I love vettes too, but don't have one. But I do have a 73 Buick GS, what year is your vette?

Anthony
'77 -unfortunately that's when all the emissions got thrown on, I've since thrown them out...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sp00ner said:
'77 -unfortunately that's when all the emissions got thrown on, I've since thrown them out...
Yea, on 73, my car, had some emissions stuff...well...goodbye to that stuff. LOL.
Glad to see you have a muscle car like me too.
Anthony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts