Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The entire time my car is running the exhaust has a ticking noise, and even after I shut it down it does if for like 10-20 mins does anyone else have this??

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've noticed the same thing for the first five minutes or so after I start it up, but not =ALL= the time. Of course, I could just be getting used to it after a while and not noticing any more -- or it could have to do with HOW LOUD I HAVE THE STEREO once I get out on the road. ;)

f.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ticking noise

I had the same noise and asked my mechanic who said it was the catalytic convertor going through its heating and cooling cycle. He showed me two other RLs at the dealership which both did it. After four months I'm starting to get used to it.

Now what about this intermittent banging noise in the trunk (even though I don't carry anything in there)? I thought my mother-in-law might be hiding in there, but I can't seem to find out what it is. Anybody with similar sitch?!?

·
I
7,838 Posts
yes, it's the little midgets that i have in there giving the finger to give the poor sap that i just dusted. :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
It's the trunk monkeys...it's part of the theft deterant system :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't think it has to do with the cat. On my s-series, the stock exhaust ticked like my Redline. As soon as I replaced it with bigger piping, it went away. Same with everyone that has a custom exhaust. I'm wondering if anyone with a Redline with an aftermarket exhaust still has the ticking. My bet is no...

Tom

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was sitting in my car for about 15 minutes after i drove for an hour, and heard a backfire, or somthing like it. Scared the hell out of me, my wifes quad coupe does it and they are replacing the resonator and muffler today, I will have to see if it does it again. And i tick, alot, tick tick tick tick, like some enormous clock with no time synch.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
When I dropped my car off for the ECM update one of the techs told me that there's a bulletin about it and that a fix is in the works. He just heard the car and asked if it was a Red Line before he even turned to look at it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
you guys are kidding, right? the "ticking" is just the expansion or contraction of the exhaust system due to the heat going through it. I've never had a car that didn't do that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tick, tick, tick......

I have it also. It is constant even when the car is hot.....so it is not an expansion and contraction issue. The tick is almost sharp enough to sound like a spark jumping, but I dont think so. I was going to take my RL in to the dealer next week for it and the ECM update.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Almost everytime i come to a stop or park my rl about 30 secs after the car is stoped i hear a bang noise in the engine area like something fell out. Of course nothing has but im curious to know if any one else hears this noise or if it is a problem. I know for a fact its not the exhaust ticking cause i have that noise to. this is just like a loud bang but its from the engine area and it dosent seem like exhaust backfire either.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
just wanted to get this post back up there. if any one has ne idea what the noise is from let me know please

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Are you guys paranoid or what? It's the metal expanding and contracting. My 2001 SC2 did it from day one, my '77 Vette does it with it's new exhuast, and my '90 Camaro did it with the new exhaust. There are about 10 spots where the exhaust is attached together, welded, or bolted to the car. Not just the pipes. Heat shields are the biggest culprit here. When 2 metals of slightly different compositions are joined or bolted together, the expansion and contracting of the different types cause edges, bolts, etc, to 'bump' into each other, stretch over bolt threads, you name it. Particuarly when driven hard and put away fast, the colder it is outside, the more pronounced the effect is. If there is a service bulletin that can cure exhuast 'ticking' I would love to see it, because they're gonna have to a hell of a lot to stop that noise. I could list off cars that come over to my house that have 'ticking' exhuast systems. I've never in my life thought of it as an issue.

As far as your 'bang' sound Boka, that could be a problem, not sure.

As far as the car doing it when its warmed up, were not talking about the car. Just the exhaust pipes. There is a HUGE difference in temperature in the exhaust stream from full throttle to idle conditions, so there still can be plenty of expansion and contraction sounds from it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts