Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting some sound out of the exhaust can anybody recommend one. Im probably going to just keeping the stock pipe just need a muffler. I was looking at HKS Ti Carbon Exhaust, and Hp exhaust mufflers. Can anybody recommend anything else.. I want the sound to be loud and low toned..
Thanks

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Hard to get a lower tone out of a four banger. As long as you keep the resonator on it should be alright.

If you are changing out the muffler, you might as well have the last piece of pipe before it cut out and stepped up to 2.5" to match the rest of the system. For some reason, this is the only part that is 2.25".

I had that done and slapped a Magnaflow oval 14" racing muffler on it. It helped out the performance a bit and I get compliments on my exhaust sound.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Saveferris said:
Hey thanx man for the input i really appreciate it.

No problem, man. Let us know what you do.

Also, I noticed you're from FL. We've got LOTS of Floridians on this site man. All of them seem to be really cool guys. A few of them have done a dual exhaust setup and airbox removal mods and such. Keep an eye for some of them and if you're not too far, you guys could meet up and they could show you everything they've done and maybe give you some ideas.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yea man there is like 5 of us in a 4 mile area! Were in the springhill hudson area, if your close we can all meet up and swap ideas. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
what are you talking about I live less than 2 miles from you. Im sure you can hear me leave in the morning. And yes 2 of us have duals, one has 3 inch all the way, and a few stockers with air box mods. All of us are lowered with the airbox at the least. 2 with neons and I swear Mr redlinekid_04 it not worth all the frigin work. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Have any of you guys with duals or 3inch exhaust noticed a much bigger difference than stock, or just a slight one? I don't want to go and spend $300+ on an exhaust that wont give me at least a 10-15hp difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
RedLined said:
Have any of you guys with duals or 3inch exhaust noticed a much bigger difference than stock, or just a slight one? I don't want to go and spend $300+ on an exhaust that wont give me at least a 10-15hp difference. Thanks.
The thing with the exhaust is, by itself, you'll notice a little difference in power. Nothing major. However, once you start doing other things (header, intake, pulley etc.) it will all work in conjunction with one another for bigger gains.

You really don't have to go 3" either. I upsized the whole system to 2.5" (one section of pipe is all that need be replace for this) and put a Magnaflow on. I was able to still use the stock tip and had it all done for only $148.

·
Registered
609 Posts
yes you really dont need 3inch, i went with three inch and its really loud. The gains were probobly the same as the 2.5. so it shouldnt matter with 3inch till you have like 300hp.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm replacing the stock muffler with 3" stainless to end the system with, burnishing the very end for that cool titanium look, and replacing the resonator with a welded in Twister race muffler (http://www.flopro.com/Twister.htm) - I had one on a built VW GTi and the thing didn't sound tinny or wimpy at all - deep and downright mean...plus, the muffler is cheap ($39.95) and the pipe work and welding will be around $75...when I can finally get it to the fab shop.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
i felt a differnce from stock with the 3 inch to 2 2.5 mufflers and it sounds just flat out mean around 5000. Worth it yeah I would do it again.

·
Registered
609 Posts
very ,very, carefully. :D j/k A guy named rod who has a Exhaust shop did it for all of us, hes a artist!

·
Registered
138 Posts
can u post pics of the dualies please>??>

·
Registered
307 Posts
Steviepc7 said:
can u post pics of the dualies please>??>
Here ya go

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dumb question real quick does this split after the header? I would really love a nice 3' exhaust system, also would this void my warranty? I really don't wanna lose my warranty heh

·
Registered
307 Posts
D3XXFR said:
Dumb question real quick does this split after the header? I would really love a nice 3' exhaust system, also would this void my warranty? I really don't wanna lose my warranty heh
Mine is split after the resonator and no this will not void your warranty....unless your guy runs your pipes thru the gas tank, it explodes, levels a neighborhood, shows up on a satelite where Norad launches our ICBM's.....other than that you shouldn't sweat the warranty issue ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Barry said:
unless your guy runs your pipes thru the gas tank, it explodes, levels a neighborhood, shows up on a satelite where Norad launches our ICBM's
I hate it when that happens :rolleyes:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sweet, I'll have to go to my local exhaust shop and check out what they can do. Also from what I understand its all 2.25 up to the resonator then it'll be 3 inches split? I'm thinkin of getting 2 dual tips heh

1 - 20 of 31 Posts