Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying an extended warranty for my RL with the company warranty direct the sell me one 5 year/100k miles for $1103 with $0 deductible or $903 with $100 deductible. Questions are: 1) is it worth to get an extended warranty. 2) is this a good enough deal on an extended warranty for my RL.

I want to get one because I put too many miles on my cars ( about 24-28k miles per year) so I know the manufactures warranty is going to be gone soon on my RL and at least the maximum this warranty company offers which is 100k miles gives me enough peace of mind. I have never experienced serious trouble on any of my cars below 100k (except a 97' taurus transmission went bad with 98k miles and that was 1 out of 10 cars that I have owned) so I am not sure is it worth the $900-$1100 that I would have to pay on this warranty. need help on this

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I would consider the warranty for two reasons, 1) given the performance nature of the car, you will be more inclined to drive it harder thus more possibilities of items failing (yes I know that the Red Line is supposed to be built for the extra abuse but why risk it?) 2) Since this is GM's first attempt at a compact tuned car, there are usually things to be said about build quality and longevity of these first and second year cars. As far as price wise, I couldn't tell you if its a good deal, but be sure to read the fine print so you can see what is and isn't covered. I knew someone that had an extended warranty and had their A/C go out but the fine print indicated that it was not covered so the expense was out of pocket for this person. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
This isn't GM's first at a compact tuned car. Ever here of Vauxhall maybe there Astra Turbo or VX220. It's the same engine as ours only turbo'd. GM owns Vauxhall i think GM knows a thing or 2 about what the engine can handle. Also i think the Delta platform came off one of there European cars to.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I think it all depends on if you plan on modifying it. I'm not sure how your Saturn dealership is but most dealers will do anything possible to get out of doing warranty work.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As a general rule, I avoid extended warrantees. Everyone and his brother is glad to offer an extended warranty because, as a rule, they are just pure profit.

Generally, warranties cover factory defect issues only and never "wear and tear".

So, consider your average car warranty is 3 years or 30,000 miles. This basically gives you 30,000 miles to discover any factory defects in your car. Maybe your valves weren't cut right or something. That sort of thing usually manifests itself fairly early in life.

If the you drive the car hard and, after 4 years, your suspension is beat to piss, you'd have to convince someone that it's a defect with the car, not a result of one too many nights at the race track.

I really can't imagine a case where the kinks aren't worked out in 3 years.

For example look at the "problems" forums or the "should I buy one" forums and you'll notice the '04s had LOTS of problems, but most owners are reporting that software fixes have already worked the bugs out. And this is on a car that's only about a year old... (Thank God I waited until '05 to consider getting one ;))

·
Registered
810 Posts
^^ that is a very good call; but i do not agree.

I got the extended warranty because i do not plan to drive the piss out of my brand new car. Say after 3 years your blinker switch goes out (which happened to my cavalier $400 job that i had to pay for). yes, a bad valve will show early, but when factory defects happen after normal wear and tear happen, that will be coming out of your pocket. somthing to think about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts