Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has gotta be some F1 fans here. If you are watching todays race then you are either real happy for Farrari or totally pissed off like I am. I am glad that I couldnt afford to go to that race. What a waste that woulda been. I am not gonna explain what happened because if you watch the races you allready know it is total BS. Manardi and Jordan have gotta be real happy today.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Now you have my curiosity up. I'm at work so I didn't see the race so you are going to have tell me :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
i guess the michelin teams backed out due to tires

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raven said:
i guess the michelin teams backed out due to tires
exactly
The Michelin tire was getting damage due to the high speeds on one corner of the treck. The infield was also resurfaced and very rough. The teams decided it was too unsafe to run on F'd up tires. The teams wanted to add a chicane on the infield strait to slow the cars down but the FIA directer said if they did that it would not be a chapionship race. There were only 6 cars running in the race. The 2 Farrari's, 2 Jordan's, and 2 minardi's ran because they were on the bridgestones which could hold up to the course track. Its all Michelins falt really.
Minardi got there first points in like a decade though lol.

I am worried about the effects this could have on another U.S. grand prix. I would still like to see one someday

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I watched that race too. I am happy for Ferrari but its not a win. I do agree with the FIA's word on not to put a chicane in as that would be unfair to the bridgestone tire cars. Its not their fault michelin can't bring a tire that lasts more than 5 laps. I personally think there should be a rule for if more than a certain percentage of the cars running on 1 brand of tires has problems they are allowed to switch to a different brand for safety reasons. I am happy for that Jordan driver though, who cares what the circumstances where, he is the first driver from his country to be on the pole and it's a huge boost for the Jordan team.

Edit: And when the annoucners read the FIA's response to michelin I couldn't help but laugh. "We are disappointed that a company with as much experience as Michelin can be having such problems and have not found a solution or even the reason as to why"...or something like that. They basically said, "Michelin, you F'ed up and there is no way we are changing the track because your to dumb to fix your own product."...oh and the Indy cars had problems but they fixed them and ran faster than ever so the track could've had something to do with it but not a lot.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do belive it was completly Michelins fault for not doing their job. It was kinda funny though, all those people booing at Schumacher and Barrichello and chearing for Monteiro. He was the first person from Portugal to ever win a podium. . I myself am not a big Farrari fan. It is cool that they could win so much last year. Although it was kinda boring.

The indy cars were having problems with the track surface also. They had the oval gound down so they could race on it. They did not grind down the infield though.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
alredline04 said:
I do belive it was completly Michelins fault for not doing their job. It was kinda funny though, all those people booing at Schumacher and Barrichello and chearing for Monteiro. He was the first person from Portugal to ever win a podium. . I myself am not a big Farrari fan. It is cool that they could win so much last year. Although it was kinda boring.

The indy cars were having problems with the track surface also. They had the oval gound down so they could race on it. They did not grind down the infield though.
Maybe now they'll consider changing their rediculous tire rule and let them put on some real racing tires. I mean this rule BS is ruining F1. They should just go back to the "whoever has the most money wins" rulebook like in the mid 90's. Turbos, carbon fibre engine blocks, unlimited electronics, big tires with big downforce and ground effects...at least in that era you could say F1 represented the cutting edge of auto racing technology.
JMO
WOT

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Maybe now they'll consider changing their rediculous tire rule and let them put on some real racing tires. I mean this rule BS is ruining F1. They should just go back to the "whoever has the most money wins" rulebook like in the mid 90's. Turbos, carbon fibre engine blocks, unlimited electronics, big tires with big downforce and ground effects...at least in that era you could say F1 represented the cutting edge of auto racing technology.
JMO
WOT
I agree, but next year the engines are going from V10's back down to V8's like the late 80's (I believe that is when they still had the 8's). They are trying to slow the cars down because they were gaining something like 10-25mph each year making it very unsafe (look at what happened to Ralf Schumacher last year in turn 13 at the US Grand Prix). I agree the teams should be allowed some give or take in their cars but I also see why the FIA is trying to slow them down. The 1 tyre (hah...good ol british spelling) rule was made to slow them down so if the V8's slow them down enough they may bring back the "unlimited" tire rule. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was watching qualifying when Ralf Schumacher spun out. It was crazy because mid-turn the right rear just blew out and into the wall he went. They should change to one tire manufacturer for the whole field instead of multiple manufacturers. One tire compound for all the teams. That would make it as fair as possible and this kind of crap wouldn't happen again as long as the tire compound is hard for durability. Just my .02.

Dan

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VueRedline said:
I was watching qualifying when Ralf Schumacher spun out. It was crazy because mid-turn the right rear just blew out and into the wall he went. They should change to one tire manufacturer for the whole field instead of multiple manufacturers. One tire compound for all the teams. That would make it as fair as possible and this kind of crap wouldn't happen again as long as the tire compound is hard for durability. Just my .02.

Dan
That sounds too much like Nascar. boooo

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
alredline04 said:
That sounds too much like Nascar. boooo
The ratings say they're doing something right!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I'm really mad too. I'd be even more mad if I went and spent the 60 some dollars it costs for general admission. :mad: I bet next year there won't even be F1 in the US. booooooooooooo ... just think of all those poor europeans that flew over here just to see the race!
All I can say is that I'm glad I went last time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I watch F1, but I don't have the dedication to watch every single race. While I am a big Ferrari fan, I kind of like to see a driver's race more than anything. Screw the "The richer you are, the more you can afford to do, and the better chance you have of winning. Screw that idea. I like rules and restrictions. It gives the entire fleet of guys a more level playing field if you know what I mean. What impresses me is when someone like Michael Schumacher can take a Ferrari (that has slightly more dated chassis design than Mercedes' chassis design) and still win. Again, a driver's race is always best. I find it the most entertaining to say the least.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I agree with it being a drivers race, but for it to be a drivers race they need to bring back the unlimited tire rule. Having 1 set of tires makes it more of the "who can find the right line to not use the tires, who can setup the car the proper way(BIG advantage there) and so on". If the drivers could drive however they wanted to (like they used to be able to) then it is a true drivers series (with restrictions on the cars power to even the cars out). When I read my newpaper this morning they were blaming Ferrari for what happened as they would agree any changes to the rules to let the michelin cars run. No kidding as for like the first 5 races bridgestone had MASSIVE problems and nobody cared as there were only 6 cars (only 2 being competitive...Ferrari) who ran bridgestones. As I watched the race, teams put banners saying "Sorry" and what not knowing it was michelins fault. Not the FIA's for keeping the race the way it should be, not Ferrari's for racing in the race and not the team managers for pulling their drivers (I mean come on, going 200+mph on a corner and having a tire blow..hmmm...safe?). Some of those teams even commented saying Ferrari did the right thing....sorry for length of post and if it sounds a little well angry (not directed at anyone), but I am just venting a bit from that stupid article in my newpaper.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sp00ner said:
The ratings say they're doing something right!
yeah I know I just dont like Nascar anymore. I fall asleep between the 20 some pit stops. I think they try to stretch the race out with those pit stops. Ishouldnt be talking though I havent watched one in over a year.

As for the F1 one race. I dont see why the safety steward couldnt have deemed the Michelin tires unsafe and allow the teams to change tires. I heard that Michelin shipped in replacement tires for the teams. I mean all the Michelin cars would have to either start from the back or from the pits. It woulda still been a race at least.

·
Registered
487 Posts
WopOnTour said:
JMO
WOT

they slowed them down so that drivers would quit dying

they are still on teh butting edge of ALOT of tech

next year its what, 2.0L v12's revving to 22-23k?

sounds pretty freakin hi-tech to me

FIA made it count b/c ferrari could still run, if ferrari couldnt they woulda changed the layout so everyone could run.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
next year is 2.5 litre V8's I believe. V8's for sure. Not sure about the dissplasement though.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I prefer the LeMans racing and such, over all of em. I like to watch the first and last 10 laps of Nascar, and I'll leave F1 on while I'm wandering around the house, but i don't really follow any of 'em.

·
Registered
487 Posts
thing I hated about the 24 hours of LeMans was 90% of the coverage I saw was of people pitting, how exciting :(

there was a really really REALLY sweet and about 2 minute long Porsche commercial though

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
haunter said:
thing I hated about the 24 hours of LeMans was 90% of the coverage I saw was of people pitting, how exciting :(

there was a really really REALLY sweet and about 2 minute long Porsche commercial though
Yea, I prefer to watch to ALMS series when it's on. For those of us with shorter attention spans!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts