Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so the bushing in one of my control arms has been going bad so I decided to upgrade to fe5 control arms. I picked up a nice pair for 150 bucks but the downside is that they are from a 08 cobalt ss. From what I read on the forums, this isn't to hard of an install if you have a chisel and hammer. I had to have been beating that chisel into the knuckle for 3 hours yesterday and I still can not get the arm to fit into it. For those who have done this same replacement, how long did it take to get the knuckle the right size so the arm could fit into it? I was thinking of purchasing a knuckle spreader so I can get this to work. Thanks in advance!

FYI: 04 redline with stock fe3 suspension

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
I just put fe5s in my 03 Ion, and I had almost no issue. I put the back part in, with the bushing, and lined the bolt in.
After that hand tightened the back two bolts (don't know the technical name).
Lined the front part up with the knuckle, and it took a bit of tapping with a hammer, but wasn't to bad. Did you try spraying it with some wd40?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I tried all of that but I ended up getting a wheel knuckle spreader. Worked great! Glad your modification went swimingly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts