Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for dodge selling the cars, drive an srt-4.

Today we had our spring training. We got to to beat the hell out of a lot of cars. The cars I drove redline, civic si, vw 1.8t golf. Let me first say the golf is a turbo lagging turd. I had never driven a golf and stock they are crap in every way. The si another bucket. The car I was most anxious to drive was the redline, it was the normal redline with no lsd. It was much better than the golf and the civic, Has much nicer and more comfortable seats than all of them. the viper inspired seats in the srt are a little more snug and are better for hard turning, but not as comfy. The redline was fun, altough like my srt, an 03 it lites up that inside tire. I felt a little more torque steer in the redline than the srt and it was a bit slower(sorry) Trying to be as unbiased as I can, it's hard cause I love my little neon
1) srt
2) redline
3) civic si
4) golf 1.8t

This is my opinion after driving these cars hard to the limit and back to back.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Rice-a-roni said:

Today we had our spring training. We got to to beat the hell out of a lot of cars. The cars I drove redline, civic si, vw 1.8t golf. Let me first say the golf is a turbo lagging turd. I had never driven a golf and stock they are crap in every way. The si another bucket. The car I was most anxious to drive was the redline, it was the normal redline with no lsd. It was much better than the golf and the civic, Has much nicer and more comfortable seats than all of them. the viper inspired seats in the srt are a little more snug and are better for hard turning, but not as comfy. The redline was fun, altough like my srt, an 03 it lites up that inside tire. I felt a little more torque steer in the redline than the srt and it was a bit slower(sorry) Trying to be as unbiased as I can, it's hard cause I love my little neon
1) srt
2) redline
3) civic si
4) golf 1.8t

Nice post and you were honest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rice-a-roni said:

1) srt
OKAY, Lets have a Saturn dealer who drives a redline go onto a dodge forum and post his findings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UKYNate said:
OKAY, Lets have a Saturn dealer who drives a redline go onto a dodge forum and post his findings.
I'm being as honest as I can. I'll be more than happy to meat up with someone and we can switch cars. We'll both come back and post what we honestly feel. I am not a dealer. I bought my car befor I worked there. I even tried to talk my little brother to buying one (ion redline), when he worked for saturn.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You sure you didn't just read the Road & Track review? ;)
That's pretty much exactly what they said: The SRT-4 has more power, but the Redline corners better.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think it's pretty fair. He didn't bash the RL and for a stock model none of that should be a surprise to any of us.
The SRT-4 is a little faster. Personally if I could do it over again I would still take my RL over the SRT-4. In many ways I think the car is better but I'll admit that I'm also biased against any Chrysler... but hey that's just me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've Driven Both, bought a redline,

The SRT is faster and has more torque and in all reality i would have bought one but I ran across a Good deal on the Redline, and it was Choice #2..

The Redline was my Wifes first choice. and SRT was her Second.

and i will agree the redline seats are more comfortable.

XAu

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thoughts from an older guy (44)

I drove both SRT4 and RL on the same day back in Sept when I bought my RL. Definitely felt the SRT4 faster but I really liked the styling and feel of the RL much better. Of course the $4000 rebate certainly helped my decision since my local Dodge dealer wouldn't move off the sticker price. It think the SRT4 looks more like a standard car fixed up to be sporty where the redline looks more like it was designed with performance in mind from the start. I have seen a RL beat an SRT4 from a traffic light for the first maybe 1/8 mile.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Rice-a-roni said:

1) srt
2) redline
3) civic si
4) golf 1.8t

^ Not your average SRT owner... good review sir, that's about right. Of course we'd all switch the SRT and the Redline. I'd maybe even put the Cobalt in there as well, but I'm a GM guy...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd drive either car, I like both the Redline and SRT-4. I bought the Redline because of the killer deal I got. The SRT-4 is faster than the Redline in a straight line, however, handling especially at high speeds the Redline definitely handles better...

Tom

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Besides the fact that I'm forbidden from buying a Dodge, what really makes me lean to the Saturn over the Dodge is the handling.

Not to mention that when I went to the Dodge dealership for a test-drive, the salesman turned his nose up to me and said, "you couldn't possibly afford this, and I wouldn't let a teenager buy this car." The guys at the Saturn dealership were friendly, accomodating, and if it hadn't been for the fact that 3 people had been ticketed in Dealer Redlines, I would've been able to take it myself.

The Dodge is a good car, I drove one Monday. My main gripe? The seats are very snug; I'm a little wider (34-36" waist) and my kidneys & thighs were being pinched in a bit of an uncomfortable way, where the Redline is snug but not painful. That and turbo lag. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have also driven both cars in may/june when i got my car. The srt was faster, but I bought a redline because there wasn't really anything else like it on the road, and I liked the fact that there was somewhat of a limited production. also i liked the recaro seats, very comfortable. the interior in the srt is a little plain. but it was at the top of my list. but ended up with a redline :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just one thing, if you would have driven a RL/SS w/ an LSD I HIGHLY doubt that it will have more torque steer than a SRT-4 for two reasons. One being that they have MUCH less torque and another being that they have equal length half shafts which will cut down on a LOT of the torque steer that the Neon can't get rid of.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CoBizzle said:
Just one thing, if you would have driven a RL/SS w/ an LSD I HIGHLY doubt that it will have more torque steer than a SRT-4 for two reasons. One being that they have MUCH less torque and another being that they have equal length half shafts which will cut down on a LOT of the torque steer that the Neon can't get rid of.
the srt also has equal length half shafts.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Rice-a-roni said:
the srt also has equal length half shafts.
Yea, the SRT just has alot more torque. Torque steer isn't that bad if you're on a nice, level racetrack. On the street it blows though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts