Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After months of waiting to have the time, I dropped off the car last week at a local shop called Sound Blazers, and my man Sam over there hooked me up. The only parameters I gave were that i needed as much room as possible, acces to my spare, and to have the whole thing look as stock as possible. Amp is too big to be mounted anywhere, but will be switched out soon enough. Got his best man on the job, and I think things came out pretty well. What do you think?

Amp- Jensen KA5 1200 Watt, 5Channel
Subs- Alpine Type 2 12"
Head Unit- Alpine xx53 (can't remember first part of model number, but new one with touch glide system)
Speakers:
Tweeters-Focal
Mid (font)- Focal
Mid (rear)- Infinity Kappa (blew the other Focal's supposed to go here)

My System
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something that amazes me about this setup, is that even with no insulation (as I didn't pay for any dynomat or anything) there is little to no vibration from the trunk, or car overall. Even with the bass up, the car holds the sounds really well, better than my ols LS did at half the level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
Something that amazes me about this setup, is that even with no insulation (as I didn't pay for any dynomat or anything) there is little to no vibration from the trunk, or car overall. Even with the bass up, the car holds the sounds really well, better than my ols LS did at half the level.
thats good to hear the older saturns even with a little bass they would rattle really bad. good to hear that they arnt bad anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
where did you get those boxes, i want something like that but can not find, and does it make the sound tighter because its a smaller box or still work good, and how much for it all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
must be nice. I throw some volume at the woofers and everything vibrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Those two boxes are awsome!!!!!!! Did that shop custom make those? If so, do you think that they would do that and sell them on here, They could probably sell like 10 or 15... If they shipped them flat with pilot holes drilled, then we could do final assembly, like Ikea :D

If they also sold on saturn fans, they could probably get some more ion QC owners,

I REALLLY LIKE the whole system. I love that head unit, I just can't justify taking out the factory matched Advanced Audio System. But you bet your ass, if I had the little ghetto fab stereo, it would be out in a hearbeat.

You might be able to make a bracket that will let the amp hang upside down over the factory one (if it is still there). Make sure that you leave like 1" or so of an air gap to get some convection.

If I didn't say so, I LOVE the whole setup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
did you have the advanced audio system to begin with, with the 6-in-dash CD changer...if so do you still have the 6 cd changer or did you sacrifice it for a better head unit?...i am planning on putting a similar system in my car, but do not want to lose my 6 cd changer...???...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the advanced audio, but with no 6disk changer. So, I didn't sacrifice that. As far as making the boxes, I coudl talk to the guy who made em and see if he would be interested. They weren't cheap but he custom made them for me. It took a while for them to get the shape down and make everything fit, so mine was probably more expensive than if he even were to just reproduce them. I will talk to him today about this whole thing. Thanks for the compliments guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
goofyguy said:
must be nice. I throw some volume at the woofers and everything vibrate.
O yeah, an dby the way, to make my statement a litle clearer, everything actually vibrates, but doesn't have that rattling metal sound. The whole car does vibrate from them hittin though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I talked to the guy at the shop. He would be VERY interested in making these boxes for whoever wanted them. Let it be known though, there are alot of coats of fiberglass so eahc build is not quick. It took a little under a week to get mine done, so figure somehwere around that, maybe a little more cuz he has to keep up with his regular business. I'm working on a price with him right now, so I can keep it as low as possible. Whatever price I post will include shipping. I wouldn't imagine that the shipping charges will not be cheap, becuase these things weigh a decent amount. PM me if you are interested, and I will get back to you guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
Ok, I talked to the guy at the shop. He would be VERY interested in making these boxes for whoever wanted them. Let it be known though, there are al ot of coats of fiberglass so eahc build is not quick. It took a little under a week to get mine done, so firger somehwere around that, maybe a little more cuz he has to keep up with his regular business. I'm working on a price with him right now, so I can keep it as low as possible. Whatever price I post will include shipping. I wouldn't imagine that the shipping charges will be cheap, becuase these things weigh a decent amount. PM me if you are interested, and I will get back to you guys.
I would be interested, but again, the price could be a show stopper. I will drop a pretty penny on them, b/c they look realllllllllly nice, but At the end of the day, they are still just boxes to hold speakers.

That amp cracks me up.... Any larger, and you would be towing it...

Let us know what you find. Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
I will take a pair right now thank you. I assume they are sealed. As well make sure they are deep enough for kappa perfect 10s. I will pay when you guys come up with a price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
goofyguy said:
I will take a pair right now thank you. I assume they are sealed. As well make sure they are deep enough for kappa perfect 10s. I will pay when you guys come up with a price.
I'm assuming the Kappa's are 10", or is that just a series name? If so, the box for you goofy would be a little different, cuz mine are 12". Either way, I will talk to him in person in a little bit, I have to go back to the shop to get the book for my radio anyways. I know the price can and will be a breaking point for some.

The initial price he had given me was $1100 total, for both sides, custom built, and shipped wherever. Depending on how many people, I know the price can go down. And also, I'm gonna be throwing some ideas out at him, because I know when he deals with cash, his price tends to get even lower. So, I am going to propose, depending on fees, that whoever was interested would pay pal me the money, and I would take it out and give him cash. This might get the price down even more. I will be looking to get the overall price down somehwere between $100 and $200. Just remember that this is custom work, will take some time, and be a bit more costly. If you are willing to put out the money, you will be satisfied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
I'm assuming the Kappa's are 10", or is that just a series name? If so, the box for you goofy would be a little different, cuz mine are 12". Either way, I will talk to him in person in a little bit, I have to go back to the shop to get the book for my radio anyways. I know the price can and will be a breaking point for some.

The initial price he had given me was $1100 total, for both sides, custom built, and shipped wherever. Depending on how many people, I know the price can go down. And also, I'm gonna be throwing some ideas out at him, because I know when he deals with cash, his price tends to get even lower. So, I am going to propose, depending on fees, that whoever was interested would pay pal me the money, and I would take it out and give him cash. This might get the price down even more. I will be looking to get the overall price down somehwere between $100 and $200. Just remember that this is custom work, will take some time, and be a bit more costly. If you are willing to put out the money, you will be satisfied.
I would be willing so shell out some cash for these, but not $1100. I have a JL 10" and might get another at some point. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeepin79 said:
I would be willing so shell out some cash for these, but not $1100. I have a JL 10" and might get another at some point. Keep us posted.
Will do. I don't figure too many people would be willing for that price, thus the reason I am workin on getting it down. I will also talk to him about the boxes for other size subs. I'll see what I can do also for those that do have 10" subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
I would pay about 200, and I think that most people on here (who are interested) would think that is a fair price. I think that 100 is extremely cheap, and probably is about the actually cost of parts. I can't see him selling them for 100 and having any margin in there.
I would pay half up of the agreed cost up front, and I am sure that there are others here who would too, to help cover some of the overhead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ptparker said:
I would pay about 200, and I think that most people on here (who are interested) would think that is a fair price. I think that 100 is extremely cheap, and probably is about the actually cost of parts. I can't see him selling them for 100 and having any margin in there.
I would pay half up of the agreed cost up front, and I am sure that there are others here who would too, to help cover some of the overhead.
The price wouldn't BE $100-$200. I was hoping to get the price DOWN BY that much, which would put it at around $900 shipped for both sides. Sorry about misunderstanding. A normal, mass produced box could cost up to $200, or even more sometimes, depending on where you got it. Custom work isn't cheap, but I believe it's worth the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
I will say that your setup looks real damn nice and professional.

However.........

There is no WAY I would pay between 7 and 900 dollars for a set of speaker boxes. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate but that seems like an exorbant amount for (as was said before) boxes that hold speakers.

*edit* this is just my opinion. I do think the boxes look badass and it looks as if the guy puts pride in his work and pushes out a quality product, but personally, I couldn't bring myself to pay that for speaker boxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I just got back from Sound Blazers, and Sam, the owner, told me that with cash, we can get the price down significantly. He was getting ready to close a little after I got there, so no final price was reached, but right now I have it at $450 per side, plus shipping. We don't know how much shipping will be yet, because we are not sure of the weight. I am heading into Saturn tomorrow morning, then Sound Blazers when I get out. We will weigh the box, and get a mold of it so they can begin production any time. I added new pictures on the first link from the build, so you can see what it looked like before it was carpeted and in the car. The link is here again for those who don't feel like going back to page 1. There is polyfill in each box to give it a tighter sound and make it seem like the box is bigger, for better sound overall.

The plan for cash would be to Pay-Pal me the moeny, and then have me take it out and just hand him the cash. Anyone who buys will get a recipt so you do not have to worry about getting ripped off. Whoever is honestly interested, PM me so I can keep track easier, and let me know which subs you plan on putting in so we can build these properly. Thanks.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top