Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I finally got around to installing my torque brace (after what 6+ weeks of having it...) Everything went reasonably smooth. We also got around to swapping the wires on the intercooler pump. Had to fix my K&N CAI too. Where they connected out of the stock box it slipped off just a bit. So if you still have the factory box it wouldn't hurt to take a peek and make sure they are still fully attached.

Ok, so we tried out the torque brace. First launch was great, no wheel hop. Second one was good too. Third one pretty muched sucked, got wheel hop but not as bad as before the brace. Fourth time I got some wheel hop, but it went away to just spinning which is good.

All were one very flat smooth surfaces. So I'm wondering why I still got some hop. I'm pretty sure the install went on fine, we followed the directions to a "T" except drilled from the engine bay. I remember Vita having a problem with wheel hop. Something about loading the brace? Any help would be appreciated...

Tom

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
mine wasn't loaded properly, so i loaded it as tight as they recommended, no more though. all's good now

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does Bill have a link on loading the brace? I didn't see it on his website, so I'm wondering.

Driling from the bay is fine, since it's easier. Are you dropping the clutch?
When I drop the clutch from 3k rpms it just spins and no wheel hop. All fine and dandy with impressing friends and women, but not what I'm looking for. When I got wheel hop is when I launched like I would at the track and I was feathering the clutch then jumping on it hard.

Also, anyone else notice a large increase in interior noise. Besides that and getting some wheel hop still I like it. Trying to come up with some ways to quiet it down again...

Tom

·
Registered
221 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
Does Bill have a link on loading the brace? I didn't see it on his website, so I'm wondering.

When I drop the clutch from 3k rpms it just spins and no wheel hop. All fine and dandy with impressing friends and women, but not what I'm looking for. When I got wheel hop is when I launched like I would at the track and I was feathering the clutch then jumping on it hard.

Also, anyone else notice a large increase in interior noise. Besides that and getting some wheel hop still I like it. Trying to come up with some ways to quiet it down again...

Tom
I get mine soon Tom, then you can help me with mine since ur a pro now and we can beat on my car and see if it does the same thing :)

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Shouldn't get much interior noise if any, unless it's preloaded.

No link to preloading, but it's a matter or shortening/lengthening the brace.

If you want a good launch, you won't spin the tires much. Maybe a squeak from your tires letting you know you found the spot. Tire spin = loss of acceleration.

I don't have forced induction or a lot of low end torque, and I can't launch above 2k without roasting the tires.

Edit: And I don't drop the clutch. I try to maintain heavy throttle (almost full) and be very firm with the clutch. I don't slip it much. I know if you did that you would spin, but you have to get to know your car, and the brace is there so if you do spin, it's smooth, and you don't get distracted by the hop. Sound good?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yrethguad said:
Edit: And I don't drop the clutch. I try to maintain heavy throttle (almost full) and be very firm with the clutch. I don't slip it much. I know if you did that you would spin, but you have to get to know your car, and the brace is there so if you do spin, it's smooth, and you don't get distracted by the hop. Sound good?
Yeah man, it sounds good. I've raced down the track numerous times. This car is my daily driver, all I wanted to do was make it a little more fun to drive. I have another vehicle that is decked out with nitrous, talk about tricky to launch with. That is my race car and she can get abused at the track. But I'm just trying to get this brace to work completely like it should, just incase the need arises.

Anyways, like I said before. A lot of gas and jumping on it it just smokes the tires and what not. Launching hard but not trying to show off just gets me wheel hop.

Wondering about this preloaded stuff. Because interior noise is quiet noticeable now...

Tom

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks for that link. I guess I have another concern. The brace is not always the same in your directions Bill. In all the install pics you have the adjusting side on the top motor mount, then the last pic it is turned around :confused: What is the correct way to mount it, maybe that is my problem...

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
anit-sway bar

I was looking around online and i saw this guy who had a sway bar installed said the car handeled like a $150,000 car i was wondering if any of you can help me find one. please thank you for any help.... :D you can reach me at [email protected] thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
makes no differnce in which way its mounted. It has the same dampening either way. You must preload it to make it work. And make sure the end links are not bound up. Look in the feedback thread in my area there is someone who posted about niose and how we solved it.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
So goofy, it doesn't matter which way it is mounted? As their site (maker of the brace, I really don't know the name I just click randomly and blindlessly on things you guys post) says it is to be mounted a certain way (which I did the opposite..haha...I just odn't want to wreck it).

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
no it has internalls to work in either direction.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Woohoo...no need to turn it around then.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
but hell you have gone though how many miles of tread? You know it does its job.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Well, you can't 'see' any wear on them. I've only put like 400km on my car since I installed it..lol. But yes, yes it does it job well...very very well.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
redlineionsc said:
I was looking around online and i saw this guy who had a sway bar installed said the car handeled like a $150,000 car i was wondering if any of you can help me find one. please thank you for any help.... :D you can reach me at [email protected] thanks again
THAT, my friends, is a thread jack.

Start a new thread dude, and we can talk about it. I'll be glad to talk suspension. Beats working on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
yrethguad said:
THAT, my friends, is a thread jack.

Start a new thread dude, and we can talk about it. I'll be glad to talk suspension. Beats working on it.
Ha ha ha ha ha.......
Sorry, I kind of thought your response was really humorous!! Especially considering how many of us do that around here!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Hey, anyone see AquaTeen last night?

;)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Hey, anyone see AquaTeen last night?

;)
Yup the circus one right.