1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I see no pictures, unfortunately . . .

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Aha, there we go. Looks nice. I like how you removed the side pieces instead of just covering 'em with mesh. Good view of the intercooler that way. :D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Looks good...I think I used the same exact mesh from Home Depot. Mine is a real ghetto job right now that I have to totally redo. I took out that whole plastic backing to open up the fog light openings, but when I redo it, I think i'm just going to keep the backing in like you did and dremel out the fog light openings. It's a lease, but hopefully they won't notice :rolleyes: I bought this black plastic mesh instead of metal for the second round go around that I'm hoping will look good on my silver car...I'm too ashamed to post the pics from close like you right now, but when I redo it, I'll post those if it turns out good.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SatredL said:
Eeees loookiinng Goood. nice work,what kind of sandals are those??
ahhh - silly question
...obviously they're Saturn sandals

what?? didn't you get a free pair when you bought your RedLine??

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
atwilson said:
ahhh - silly question
...obviously they're Saturn sandals

what?? didn't you get a free pair when you bought your RedLine??
NO, I did'nt. I don't think sandals were even mentioned when I bought my car.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
looks good! so is that home depot mesh or what? i haven't ever done a grille, and would like to considering the shape my A/C condensor is in...

any advice? (i assume it's a custom job, not a car grills grille)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vita said:
looks good! so is that home depot mesh or what? i haven't ever done a grille, and would like to considering the shape my A/C condensor is in...

any advice? (i assume it's a custom job, not a car grills grille)
yeah, it's a complete custom job.
i used a rather heavy gauge chrome-finished mesh material that i picked up at the local Canadian Tire in the custom car mods section.

The center section of the grill is very easy to do, I used some self-threading zip nuts to retain the mesh to the existing pegs.

the little outer vents were a nightmare from hell, and were very time consuming because I wanted the end result to look properly finished just like the center section.

first i did the rough cutouts with a jigsaw, which makes a big mess of the plastic, that plastic does not like to be cut with hot metal, it melts quite easy too, a dremel makes quite a mess of the plastic too.
I finished the insides edges of the vents by good old fashioned hand sanding, and a lot of it.
started with 200 grit and worked my way down to 1500 grit.
took a long time.

i finished the inside edges with a few coats of flat black bumper spray.

i attached the mesh with black zip ties, had to drill lots of small retaining holes for the zip ties.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Yeah, I agree the outer vents were a bitch, a lot of cuttin & cursin. But a job worth doing is worth doing well. Yours came out beautifully. To get mine to stay I used weatherstrip adhesive... alot of it

·
Registered
44 Posts
looks good man , And i gree about the side vents being a pain. It took me 4 hours to do mine. i didnt use the diamond mesh i used the circled hole mesh from folia-tec it looks great. just wanted something different.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
atwilson said:
yeah, it's a complete custom job.
i used a rather heavy gauge chrome-finished mesh material that i picked up at the local Canadian Tire in the custom car mods section.

The center section of the grill is very easy to do, I used some self-threading zip nuts to retain the mesh to the existing pegs.

the little outer vents were a nightmare from hell, and were very time consuming because I wanted the end result to look properly finished just like the center section.

first i did the rough cutouts with a jigsaw, which makes a big mess of the plastic, that plastic does not like to be cut with hot metal, it melts quite easy too, a dremel makes quite a mess of the plastic too.
I finished the insides edges of the vents by good old fashioned hand sanding, and a lot of it.
started with 200 grit and worked my way down to 1500 grit.
took a long time.

i finished the inside edges with a few coats of flat black bumper spray.

i attached the mesh with black zip ties, had to drill lots of small retaining holes for the zip ties.
thanks, i'll be doing this sometime in the near future, and this'll help!

·
Registered
364 Posts
wait thats not the HD gutter guard stuff ? SWEEET lol i bought the gutter guard for 8 bux, and it looks exactly like that... I should have pictures of it 2night for comparison.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts