Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my first ever Autocross this weekend with the Sports Car Club of Vermont. Actually, it was my first ever competitive event in a car. Finished dead last in the Novice class but not in the overalls, so I was happy. Took better than 9 seconds off my time throughout the day and each run was better than the last.

I identified a few bad street driving habits that will need work - that should net me a few more seconds next time around. I had a great time and can't wait for the next one. Only Ion they'd ever seen apparently :D

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
keep it up man! surprised that there were 2 saabs there. (yes i know it's not that uncommon ;p)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Toyguy said:
Ran my first ever Autocross this weekend with the Sports Car Club of Vermont. Actually, it was my first ever competitive event in a car. Finished dead last in the Novice class but not in the overalls, so I was happy. Took better than 9 seconds off my time throughout the day and each run was better than the last.

I identified a few bad street driving habits that will need work - that should net me a few more seconds next time around. I had a great time and can't wait for the next one. Only Ion they'd ever seen apparently :D

Dave
I was surprised by the amount of people who knew about the IRL. People are starting to learn, since the Balt SC came out. But wasn't AutoXing a blast? I have a feeling this car can REALLY be pushed. I thought I was breaking loose each run, but each run I pushed it harder and the car loved it...gotta love having the steering wheel around three times and the sucker just keeps gripping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You nailed it - I had as much fun doing that as I have ever had in a competitive event. Man, the first run, even though I knew I was gonna drive it slow to imprint the course, I had such a case of the adrenaline shakes I could hardly drive the car :D

I've gotta order a set of torque braces for sure - that wheel hop sure kills the launch :)

There's definitely a lot more in the car than I got to this time. Plenty of room to improve...

Dave

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
And I also loved the fact that coming out of tight corners, in 2nd gear, I was usually at 3,000 RPM or so, and soon as I punched it, the torque was there. Then again, w/o the LSD, that meant a LOT of my Lops ended up on the parking lot :D

And yes to the jitters. I was nervous as hell first run. Took it real slow.

By my last run, I was beat, sunburned, and had watched 125 cars do four runs. I was actually second to last to run. I had the entire course visualized and just shoved the RL every which way. It went. I could've gone harder, but that'll be next time.

Most amazing thing, I didn't eat one cone. That'll change once I grow a set and toss my car into corners at 50 mph haha...

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
What about those control knuckles GM has for the cobalt for autocrossing. There is a TSB for it if the driver wants them you can order them. I dont know if they would work for the RL though:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts