Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kill- '87 Toyota Supra (stock)

Loss- '04 Mustang Cobra (stock)

Just f'n off with buddies at work. I REALLY need to learn to drive this thing.

With the supra, it was waaaaaay closer than it should have been. This was my first ever race and I couldn't hook up at first. The front end was squealing and bouncing everywhere on launch. I hit the rev limiter 1st and 2nd and didn't even pass him until 3rd gear at about 75 mph. At least my first race was still a win, I guess.

It would have been a little closer with the stang if I wouldn't have hit the limiter in 1st AND 2nd again. :rolleyes: Just those mistakes let him leave me like a I was standing still. :p

·
Registered
524 Posts
The Cobra still would have left you standing still if you were driving correctly. 12 second car > 14 second car.

But you're right, you should have taken that Supra a lot quicker than you did...

Tom

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom01SC2 said:
The Cobra still would have left you standing still if you were driving correctly. 12 second car > 14 second car.

But you're right, you should have taken that Supra a lot quicker than you did...

Tom

What's up Tom?

Yeah, my friend in the Supra knew I had JUST gotten the car last night so I wouldn't be able to drive it real well yet. He said he'd give me a week to practice and we'll run em again and loser buys winner lunch. :)

I told him, if you give me a week to practice, I'll whoop that ass!!! :p

Oh, I know about the Cobra. It's a BEAST!!! Plus, he wants to put NOS on the mother f**ker!!! :eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
you just go the car last night and you beating the crap out of it. :mad: givethat thing about 2000 miles to break in before you go and redline the redline. its not gonna last otherwise.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
LD9poweredZ24 said:
you just go the car last night and you beating the crap out of it. :mad: givethat thing about 2000 miles to break in before you go and redline the redline. its not gonna last otherwise.
ditto, it may last, but the next guy with it is going to have some issues to deal with. whoever gets my car will be one happy mofo

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. I can't help but drive her hard. I know I shouldn't be but she begs me to. :p

I'll take it easy on her until 2k. It's only right.

Of course, if that damn new Hyundai Tibouron GT in my neighborhood pulls up next to me anytime soon I can't promise anything. ;)

We met at a light today and he was reving his shit and looking at me. I just shook my head "no" and pointed to my daughter, who was in the back seat at the time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
JPK said:
Of course, if that damn new Hyundai Tibouron GT in my neighborhood pulls up next to me anytime soon I can't promise anything. ;)

We met at a light today and he was reving his shit and looking at me. I just shook my head "no" and pointed to my daughter, who was in the back seat at the time.
I don't think anyone will rag on you for that ;)

As far as not racing him at the time, smart move, just shows what kind of dad you are. You hear about people on the news who race with their kids in the car. Don't baby the car either, it needs to break in how the driver will be using it most of the time. But that doesn't mean go redlining ever gear. But engines that are designed for FI are generally put together better (tighter wall clearance and what not)...

Tom

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom01SC2 said:
I don't think anyone will rag on you for that ;)

As far as not racing him at the time, smart move, just shows what kind of dad you are. You hear about people on the news who race with their kids in the car. Don't baby the car either, it needs to break in how the driver will be using it most of the time. But that doesn't mean go redlining ever gear. But engines that are designed for FI are generally put together better (tighter wall clearance and what not)...

Tom

Yeah, my kids ALWAYS come first. I wouldn't even think of racing with them in the car.

I was on my way to pick up my son when that happened. I took both of them on a fun drive on some old, winding country roads by my house. All at moderate speeds, of course. They had a blast though.

I never realised all the winding roads and hairpin turns I have right here in my neighborhood. I'm definitely going back there by myself and take them with a bit speed soon. :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlackRedline04 said:
was the supra NA or T?
not that it matters too much, anything before the 93's were pretty slow :p

It was the N/A.

He still actually wants to bet me lunch on a race next week. I told him by then, I'll know the car and he better bring some money to buy me lunch the night we race. :p

I mean, I hit the rev lim in first and second and still beat him. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
LD9poweredZ24 said:
Thats bs, after 500 miles its good. Break it in like your going to drive it. Consisitant RPM's during break in is worse for the engine than giving it hell.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good kill on the poopra, it was probalby a low 15 second car. I have been reading this forum a little bit and i must say i am impressed with the performance of the RL.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Me 2 johndeer. Even tho we are both v8 mustang guys i like this little car. Id love to have one for my family/daily drive. Id trade mine now for one sicne its a 5 speed if i had another older stang to work on and build.

·
Registered
119 Posts
a s/c cav will smoke a redline at only 4.5 psi non intercooled. i shouldn/t say smoke but it will beat it. low to mid 14's on a stock 2.4. i'm really disapointed in the new delta cars. shoulda went turbo instead of sc. and those things are heavy as hell. i think saturn almost downgraded with the ion. shoulda made a redline sc2 with the 2.0 s/c. much better chassis to start with. same with the colbalt what a bloated pig. a srt-4 will kill both cars and its cheaper and easier to mod. and who can beat a stage 2 upgrade that is still covered under the warrenty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts