Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, folks, that's right. I was down in downtown Detroit tonight shooting a movie for my video class, and was headed back up 96 towards Lansing. Where it meets up with 696 there was a little silver Acura coming off of 696, so I got next to him, revved the engine a tad, and took off a little so he'd know exactly what my intentions were. Soooo I slowed down and waited . . . and waited . . . and I was like "ok, he's not going to race", so I went to set the cruise control. Just as I was about to hit the button I hear a little exhaust noise next to me, and sure as shit the kid downshifted and was starting to slide forward a little; little bastard got a jump on me. So I downshifted into 4th (going 80 mph, didn't want to shift to 3rd, still getting the hang of the car), and put it to the floor. Sure enough, a few seconds later I'd sailed past, and put 2 car lengths between us.

Tried to race a few more cars on the way home; I failed with a '96 Impala SS and a 1998+ Trans Am, but then found a Suzuki Esteem with a shiny exhaust, A-pillar guage pod, and fatty tach that wanted to play. So I let him have his moment, he got right up next to me, but I was only going 60 so I COULD get the downshift to 3; sure enough, he started running, I saw his tach moving, so I moved to 3rd and even before I banged it into 4th he was way back, couldn't even estimate how many cars. Not really a great kill story but thought I'd share that last part too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good kills, yeah 80 MPH I wouldn't suggest downshifting to 3rd either, that's about where I run into the Redline on 3rd going about 80. Someone on this board made a good analogy, if your RPMs are at 4000 or higher no need to downshift. If they are lower then go for it. MPH wise I've found 1st to be good for near 20-30MPH, 2nd to be good for about 50-60, 3rd goes till about 75-80, and 4th........well I'm not gonna incriminate myself :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Redline on 3rd is like 90 somethin mph...

·
Registered
289 Posts
SilverBulletRL said:
Redline on 3rd is like 90 somethin mph...
I ran 3rd up to almost a hundred, and if I didn't have to shift, I'd probably still be pulling! :) Just an observation....Take care.

-SpikemanRL

·
Registered
683 Posts
You cheater, you watched hit Tach, that is like playing battleship and seeing the other guys playing field, Good job by the way.
I do the same thing 80< is a 4th but anything less is the good old 3rd. I take 3rd to about 90 If i am so lucky to be able to downshift into it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Just remember that the gears are every 30mph, roughly. This morning I blasted around a Honda with the 5th-3rd 80mph downshift, it's a great downshift too, the Redline just rockets off at full boost.

·
Registered
272 Posts
1st gear around 30...2nd about 65...and 3rd about 97..thats about the maximums of the gears ive found..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Agree

Sp00ner said:
Just remember that the gears are every 30mph, roughly. This morning I blasted around a Honda with the 5th-3rd 80mph downshift, it's a great downshift too, the Redline just rockets off at full boost.
That 5th to 3rd is the deadliest shift that the RL has IMO. 60-100 in nothing. Kind of scary when you think about it. ;)

-SpikemanRL

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SpikemanII said:
That 5th to 3rd is the deadliest shift that the RL has IMO. 60-100 in nothing. Kind of scary when you think about it. ;)

-SpikemanRL
**** ya, man, the best is just under 70mph and just ride it to redline.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
you guys are just making me want to go out and drive now that it's finally nice around here...

gotta love the 5-3 slam, people wonder how i'm already on their ass just after they flew by me all the time. always noticing the double takes in their rear views. every morning on the way to work, every night on the way home...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts