Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my Redline for almost a month now. It's my first 5 speed and I've gotten the basics out of the way. I'm not an amazing driver by any means but I'd like to think I have alot of potential (hopefully LOL)

My first question I guess is am I spending to much time in first gear? I'm not doing tire chirping launches, I'm just taking off quickly to get a feel for it and I'm going from first to second at about 5 grand. Now once I hit 2nd this car is a rocket (love it!). But in first gear it just doesn't seem like a whole lot is going on. Someone told me this is mainly because first is really just to get you rolling. So does that mean I should be shifting out of it sooner or what?

Any tips for the 5 speed newb are welcome! Thanks guys!

If I can think of anything else I'll post it.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
first gear, mainly from a roll is insane!

traction is an issue in 1st. despite its 30 mph, or 42 ;)

i think its pretty intense.

keith-

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have noticed the wheel hop... woo fuggin hoo. I thought my wheel hop on my old Nitroused SC2 was bad hehe.

Well this came out wrong. The car doesn't feel slow. That's not what I mean. I just want to know when's a good time to shift out of it? I know what you mean by the from a roll though... I went around some idiot in first (from a stop sign) and hit the rev limiter in what felt like .1 second heh:eek:

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Well, I've had my RL for just about a month now also...

5K seems a bit high for normal starts to me. I usually shift between 3 and 4K in normal driving, i.e. not trying to start fast. Trying to take off fast is a whole different story. I have also been driving standards as my primary car since 1983 so I have a bit more experence.

Hope the RL keeps being as much fun for you as it is for me.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah I'm having a blast. The shit eating grin on my face when I drive this car... People probably think I'm a tard when they see me driving.

I'm just getting a feel for where the power is best to transfer to the next gear. I don't normally shift into 2nd at 5k hehe. With gas the way it is I shift at about 3k right now so I'm not filling up every 3 days.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here is my take on first...

Some people launch from around 2K or so...

I launch from an idle... Always have, always will... Catches people by suprise.

I have been driving manual transmission cars since '91, so I hope that qualifies me as knowing what I'm talking about.

I'll let the clutch out til it starts to grab a bit... Ease on the gas and ease out the clutch... Just like a "normal" take off, only faster... If that makes sense. With the RL, you have to take it easy in the low end of first gear... "Roll" into the gas, meaning as the revs get progressively higher, put more of your foot into the peddle. You'll learn where it bogs and where it hops over the next few months.

Keep practicing. The key to a successful lauch is this. Do not bog your engine, and to not lose traction. It takes a lot of practice with the RL, and admittedly I have not perfected it even after almost 9000 miles of ownership... But I am far better at lauching the car now than I was when I bought it.

And yeah, First gear is a monster because it's so short. You can literally go from a stand still to the top of first inside 2 seconds. So all that explanation up there ^^, keep in mind, that all happens VERY quickly...

Don't lose the faith... Keep practicing, and it will all come together as you become one with the car...

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
You drive normal? Sorry..to/from work shifts around 2-3k..everywhere else shifts when my redlight on the shift lights comes on and screams PLEASE SHIFT ME FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The only reason I ever use first gear in this car is when I'm at a dead stop. Even then, it's only to get into 2nd gear. You can actually move from a stop in the Redline without using the gas pedal, try it sometime. Pretty amusing to me. You can also start in 2nd and it dosen't even feel that odd to me, I did it quite a few times when the car was new...

Get out of 1st gear ASAP... that's my idea...

When racing, I give it enough gas to just keep the tires under control and then try to peek at the speedo till I see roughly 30 mph... now I just sorta time it. Let the tires spin a little and then jam it into 2nd when I think I'm going almost 30 or so...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Hey Spooner, ever start off without using the gas on ice in winter? It's amusing when you spin the tires doing that :D

And try rev'in up to like 5K and starting in 2nd...hehehe, it feels like rev'in and dumping the clutch in 1st in my old cavy.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XeroState said:
Hey Spooner, ever start off without using the gas on ice in winter? It's amusing when you spin the tires doing that :D

And try rev'in up to like 5K and starting in 2nd...hehehe, it feels like rev'in and dumping the clutch in 1st in my old cavy.
My driveway is a skating rink in the winter... the 30 degree days and 0 degree nights are a real thrill around here in the winter! I have done all manner of amusing things trying to start moving with tires like blocks of ice. It's worse when I leave the car in the heated garage overnight, I think it melts the ice right under the warm tires, I usually just get the car pointed in a safe direction and pray that the idle is slow enough to steer the car right!

I still can't drive the car smoothly, and have just accepted that I never will...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Sp00ner said:
My driveway is a skating rink in the winter... the 30 degree days and 0 degree nights are a real thrill around here in the winter! I have done all manner of amusing things trying to start moving with tires like blocks of ice. It's worse when I leave the car in the heated garage overnight, I think it melts the ice right under the warm tires, I usually just get the car pointed in a safe direction and pray that the idle is slow enough to steer the car right!

I still can't drive the car smoothly
, and have just accepted that I never will...
I am assuming what I have bolded you mean in the winter. Ya its tricky, but since the first time I EVER drove ANY vehicle was in the middle of winter, I had to learn quickly how to drive in winter.

I remember 2 days after I bought the redline, it snowed badly. I had my Dunlops, hadn't even found this site and still learning to curb its torque...took me 5 minutes to drive one block and trying to leave where I park on the street, I actually melted 3" of solid ice down to the pavement trying to move (hehe, silly touchy throttle). This car sure is fun in winter, I mean, I could spin going into 4th without even trying...with winter tires.

On a side note, I broke a calculator today by taking a corner to hard:D , it slid from the seat, hit the door and broke...while inside it's case:rolleyes: There goes a 30 dollar calculator.

·
Registered
431 Posts
hm... maybe I'm doing this all wrong then:

I shift out of 1st around 6000-6500, like was said before, when the frigging thing is screaming for me to let off. If I shift at any lower RPM I feel like I'm missing the sweet-spot for 2nd gear - and if I miss and hit the rev-limiter, it spins the rpms way down, ruining any chance of regaining any revs.

Is this incorrect/unwise? Is this slowing my launches?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
if im just doing some normal driving, half the time i dont even watch the tach... i can hear and feel when the shift should come. This is usually somewhere right around 3k. I have noticed though, wheather your driving normal or gettting on it, it seems to shift even smoother around 4.5-5k, and that usually drops you right into 2nd's sweet spot. if i were you, i would just drive the piss out of it for a few days, trying all kinds of different shifts, and basically just learn your car... youll find where the car likes the shift and where you do. thats just my take on it though, im fairly new to the car myslef.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts