Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the local track last night, street legal night, my first time.

I wasn't too sure if I was going to try racing, was a bit nervous about it, but went in and parked in the pit area, checked out the cars, watched some races.
I was feeling out-of-place, most of the vehicles there seemed like older modded race-ready, very few new vehicles it seemed, and those big v8's doing 10 second runs, sheesh, unnerving.

But after I saw the sport compacts race I felt more confident seeing some 15 - 17 second runs, I figured i could fit in there.

I got my car 'tech'd or whatever they call it, it was funny,
first the guy says "What the hell is this thing?"
He was not impressed to hear it was a Saturn.
and then the guy looks under the hood and says "HOLY SHIT, THIS THINGS GOT A BLOWER!!"
so my car passed inspection fine.

While I was parked out on the pit area, nobody seemed too interested in my car, and I noticed some sneers and overheard a few snickers and comments about the Saturn.

well eventually I gathered up my courage and went for my first run, pretty nerve-wracking not knowing what to do and when to do it, but I fumbled my way through it anyhow.
I was racing against this very nice Audi S4.

I couldn't hear what the announcer was saying, and my mind was so busy trying to figure out what I should be doing, I also wondered what the crowd was thinking when a Saturn came on the line.

Things happen so fast in the staging area, they just rush you through there. I was looking down at my feet, and out of the corner of my eye I noticed the Audi taking off, and then I noticed the lights were green! Shit!
So I took off and managed a 16.0 - my very first run.
The Audi did 13.6

It felt good, it sure was fun.

When I returned to the pit area, I noticed a number of onlookers eyeing my car, and it seemed as though the offhand comments had gone quiet now.

My next run was against a Ralliart (I think),
this was my best run for the night (I had 5 runs), I did a 15.0 - knocked a whole second off of my first run, and I was only on my second run.
That was pretty exciting.
When I returned to the pits, I was getting lots of stares, and a number of people started coming over to check out this strange little beast.
I received lots of positive comments about the Redline. and those funny stunned looks when they heard it was all stock! haven't even started the mods yet! heehee!

the third run was a humbling experience, I was up against a Supra Turbo, and I guess I was feeling too gung ho, cuz I totally missed third gear, couldn't find any gear for that matter, (aacckk - where's the clutch!!), eventually found fifth, and finished with a 17.6. haha.

my last two runs were both 15.4, against a civic (I think), and a WRX.

so i went away with my 15.0, i thought that was pretty good for my first time out.

I can see an easy .3 - .4 gain is available at the start, my first 60' is averaging 2.3 to 2.7, and my reaction time (if it matters) is averaging 0.9 to 1.4

the big surprise to me was the damn wheel hop!
even with the torque brace it was hopping like crazy.
I don't seem to get any hop on a regular road, but on the track it was hopping like mad.
not sure why that is....

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Better traction on the strip than street... how tight did you make the brace?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sp00ner said:
Better traction on the strip than street... how tight did you make the brace?

how tight? what part?

I basically followed the Ingalls instructions:
1. set the preload and lock
2. adjust length of brace from mount to mount so that there is no force applied to the brace when it is installed
3. mount brace
4. tightened the locknuts and all bolts.

Ingalls instructions

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey man, nice times for a first-timer. I remember my first time at the track w/ my SC2. It was completely stock, and I had an auto so it made getting off the line pretty simple. You'll get better with practice. Definitely work on the launch because that will help your 60' times big time and also shave time off your E.T. Don't get discouraged if people laugh at you for driving a Saturn, just get to know the car and repeatedly show the nay-sayers your taillights.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Way to go!!!!!!!!!

Hey atwilson way to go. Not bad for a first time at the track. I could not make it had to work over time.
Next time I'll try and hook up with you and go. I dont think your torque brace is adjusted quite right.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Fun, isn't it???!

Don't woryy about the big boys. At my local track, there is a large segment of street vehicles running, hell last week there was even an 85 Blazer, the big one!
You will notice more, I'm sure.

Fun is to get a friend to go out and get lined up in staging next to each other. Tip, drive around the water box. Go on the last yellow. You most likely won't beat the light. If you hit it on the last yellow, you will be starting to move when the green goes.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
wolfie said:
Hey atwilson way to go. Not bad for a first time at the track. I could not make it had to work over time.
Next time I'll try and hook up with you and go. I dont think your torque brace is adjusted quite right.
yeah I was watching for you just in case you showed up, that woulda been great having two RL's on the track.
looks like the next street legal will be july 8.

man the traffic was ugly heading out there, i didn't get there till around 7.

i'm wondering what to adjust on the brace, or tighten as spooner suggested.
the only adjustable thing i can see is to reduce the preload measurement to 12, 11, or 10 mm. and since i'm not getting any hop on a regular road i don't know how to test any adjustment.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Good runs. don't be surprised if you can't get any better times than a 14.70-14.80n and 2.25-2.30 60 footers on your dragstrip. It sounds like you have really decent traction there. I have tried every rpm and technique in the book and wheel hop is ALWAYS there and 2.3 seems to be the magic # for my car in the 60'. I do know that I can slip the clutch to eliminate the hop all together, but I don't want my clutch/pressure plate/flywheel looking like Aeain's. And I don't want to replace the clutch package just to get a wee bit better ET, I'm finding that autocrossing is easier on the car and it is better suited for it as opposed to drag racing.
Just my $5 worth. :D

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
The only way I was able to eliminate hop on the track conditions were over tighten the brace. Go past the Ingalls direction and just work it. If you have no hop on streets its doing it job. Now you have to give it perhaps 2-3 more turns for track use. Also you have to deal with the suspension setup our car has is not the best for track use. Im trying to figure out a way to end it all for track use but its proving to be tricky unless you torque the brace considerably.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
goofyguy said:
The only way I was able to eliminate hop on the track conditions were over tighten the brace. Go past the Ingalls direction and just work it. If you have no hop on streets its doing it job. Now you have to give it perhaps 2-3 more turns for track use. Also you have to deal with the suspension setup our car has is not the best for track use. Im trying to figure out a way to end it all for track use but its proving to be tricky unless you torque the brace considerably.
so when you refer to tightening the brace, are you referring to the preload setting? i.e. making the brace firmer?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Much firmer. I can send you a solid piece to put in its place so at track you can be assured. But you need to tighten/preload it a lot to keep it on track conditions. For some reason it sees the track as 0 traction because of the tires lack of grip it shudders the drive train. Unlike on street where the only flex is on the mount where the brace is connected so it can stop it before it happens. Where on track it causes all the motor mounts to give which is how the Hop somehow comes back. Im working on a Drag mount for the Tranny mount that will be 100% bolt in for track only times.

But like you said works great in all situations except track which is odd. I contatced Ingalls for info and that was thier answer that the track causes all the mounts to bind becuase of the excessive traction.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
OK, I'll see how it (GG Brace) works on my car at the track since I have the solid inserts for my mounts. The front lower is super solid and the lower rear mount is about 3-4 as stiff. The engine to frame mount is stock. Rumor has it that for the second week in a row all wheel hop was eliminated by the replacement inserts at the autocross event. Hmmm, pesky rumors. Also, I see Prothane has polyurethane inserts for a Cavy/Sunfire that look like they will exactly fit into our mounts after the factory original is pressed out

Goofy, when are these braces shipping out??

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
OK, I'll see how it (GG Brace) works on my car at the track since I have the solid inserts for my mounts. The front lower is super solid and the lower rear mount is about 3-4 as stiff. The engine to frame mount is stock. Rumor has it that for the second week in a row all wheel hop was eliminated by the replacement inserts at the autocross event. Hmmm, pesky rumors. Also, I see Prothane has polyurethane inserts for a Cavy/Sunfire that look like they will exactly fit into our mounts after the factory original is pressed out

Goofy, when are these braces shipping out??
If all goes as planned. Monday morning next week. Im waiting on a press so I can get all the drill holes 100% perfect in relation to evry brace so if you need anything the parts will be exact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts