Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) what filter are you running, i am running the K&N e-1009 (or whatever the stock replacement is)

2) have you thrown a SES or CEL, if so, what was it?

·
Registered
786 Posts
APC high flow

No problems.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe my friggen filter is too damn big

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Vita said:
maybe my friggen filter is too damn big
We think the stock filter is too large for the housing. It doesn't allow proper flow between the filter and the housing. We removed the filter and put in a HKS supermega flow filter. We also removed the tubing leading to the fender.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
E-1009, problems at first with the check engine light......but haven't seen it in quite some time......car is running very well.

i would like to try a smaller filter, though.....i just wont worry about it until a real intake comes out.

and yes, i got the running rich light, yet my gas mileage is just fine

·
Registered
55 Posts
1. Stock filter

2. No lights whatsoever. Runs just fine.

I still plan to get a true wai/cai when one becomes available. And yes, it does make the supercharger scream. =)

·
Registered
786 Posts
APC screams just like any other filter. It screams because it is disconnected from the stock CAI. Any filter will sound the same. It takes some finagiling to get it on. I ended up using a rubber bushing inside of the filter but I am now realizing I just reduced the intake from 3" to 2 1/2. I'll remove the bushing over the weekend and rig something else. It was only supposed to be temporarily until someone came out with one, but to no avail.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have an apc and my car has had a few lights go off. Also, my car did set off a service vehicle light before i put the filter in.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UncleSmitty said:
1. Stock filter

2. No lights whatsoever. Runs just fine.

I still plan to get a true wai/cai when one becomes available. And yes, it does make the supercharger scream. =)

you're nuts, you're just leaving the stock filter on their w/o any method of securing it aside from the pressures of the intake? i'd be triple checking everytime i stop the car to make sure it's on their good

·
Registered
55 Posts
O ye of little faith.

I ended up strapping the filter to the airbox lid using the screw holes in the lid; it's not too pretty but the filter's not going anywhere. At first I was more concerned with the tranny sitting right underneath it, but after checking it a few times over the past thousand miles it seems to be holding up just fine.

Of course I still plan to get a true intake once one comes out, but I just don't feel like spending the $ on a new filter, just to replace it with the intake in Spring.

·
Registered
158 Posts
APC filter, have thrown a SES light had the code scanned and it was a Mass Air Flow code.

·
Registered
343 Posts
airbox removed

Can any of you whom have removed the air box snap a few photos im having a bit of trouble visualizing your "rigged up" mod.

I watched barrys vid, sounds great are all of you getting the same sound?

thanks for your efforts, im debating it but may just wait till spring time for when vita and others release proper intakes.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
yeah barry lots of pics. Of both the fancy intake and the fancy UFO in the wifes car. His is louder than it seems and the filter is plenty safe from water.

·
Registered
158 Posts
found out what was wrong with my car, the air filter fell off lol, it was still in the airbox though.. it was throwing off the MAF, and making it throw a code.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I got a high-flow Injen filter for $16.99, and even though it has only been 1 day, I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the APC filter i got at pepboys doesnt throw codes at all and it performs well. nly reason it threw a code was when the filer fell off. as soon as i popped it back on i started the car and after about 3 seconds the engine light went off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts