Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I borrowed my buddies suction cup camera mount on the weekend to test it out in autocross. Used my cheap sony coolpix camera, which did surprisingly well...would like to find a way to cut down the wind noise; otherwise I think they turned out great!

1st run: DNF , huge spin on an offcamber brake zone; unfortunately the car ahead of me spun further down the track; meaning I couldn't finish my run. Camera was not on.

2nd run: Slow, and wide...

3rd run: 2nd fastest of the day; side mounted 57.924

4th run; my fastest of the day, accidentally put camera on picture, instead of video...ran a 57.130

5th run; in the rain, camera was mounted to rear windshield. Good shots in the car, however it was so bright outside the car that you coudn't see anything...62.438

6th run; still slick/damp 59.2XX

7th run; lost it a bit at the 1:05 mark to the 1:12 mark...ran a 58.128...definetly feel I could have dipped into the 56s had I had a clean run, without the rain...

Enjoy,

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got them, I thought they were good...now with about 7000km of road driving...and 8 events last year, 3 this year...they are starting to give way....getting slick.. But they are a very sticky tire, by far the stickiest tire Ive ever owned...I went with 215/40/17 to shorten my second gear ground ratio...When I switch between these and the 225/45 KDW's on my other set of wheels, I notice a HUGE difference in 2nd gear acceleration...

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
When I switch between these and the 225/45 KDW's on my other set of wheels, I notice a HUGE difference in 2nd gear acceleration...
So the 215s give you better acceleration but the 225s give you a taller 2nd gear. Makes sense.

How many cars where at that event? It look packed?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the 215s give you better acceleration but the 225s give you a taller 2nd gear. Makes sense.

How many cars where at that event? It look packed?
Smallest event of the year..:) 92 competitors. But our crew picked up their socks, and made it the best event of the year with 7 timed runs. Previously, we have been averaging 105-120 cars registered, and have been having several timing glitches, tagged with delayed starts due to slow registration, only 4 runs.

On that note; I finished 3rd in my class (of 13)...behind two minis; a turbo miniS with camber plates, coilovers and V710s, and a s/c miniS with camber plates and A6's. Not bad!!

P.S. the time's i posted above were guesses...here is the actual time sheet...

·
F_ck Bates
5,376 Posts
that looks like fun. good vids man i enjoyed them....

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
the side mount on the door is so bad ass!!! I love watching from that view!
the comment "hey saturn you have something sticking out of your door" was funny.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the side mount on the door is so bad ass!!! I love watching from that view!
the comment "hey saturn you have something sticking out of your door" was funny.
haha, it is a pretty badass view...it looks awesome when people have a nice wide, offset wheel/tire and you can see it better in the turns...

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Next time mount the camera farther to the back of the car so you see more of the length of the car. Side mount is so much better than dash cam!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that it is wayy better, a fisheye lense on the roof mounted cam would be clutch as youd be able to see to the side a bit more...

advice noted though, I'd already though of this, next event i'll be sure to get it as far back as possible...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts