Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at the carwash with my buddy detailing my car when i see some thing dripping from the inside corner of my headlight. I take a closer look and its something sticky. My friend thought it was radiator fluid cuz it looked green on the paint. But i knew it wasn't since our coolant isn't green. So i pop the hood and what do we find? My entire head, supercharger, hood, and various other parts of the engine compartment are covered in oil. The culprit, a missing oil cap. How it happened i have no idea. I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago and I know I replaced the cap, and i've popped the hood since then and it wasn't missing before. So i stuck a rag(the only thing i had at the time) in there and drove it home. I called the dealership and ordered a replacement but it won't be here till tuesday. I need/want to drive my car but the thought of a rag being the only thing stopping oil from going everywhere bothers me alot. Anybody have any ideas on how i could fabricate a cap that would last until the replacement gets here? Thanks.

P.S. please don't tell me to just park my car and not drive it till i get the cap. Its not the end of the world if i lose my oil cap. And if theres a way to keep driving my car safely i'll do it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all4glh said:
nope, but at least the engine won't get pregnant. :D
Bastard :rolleyes: But you did give me a good idea. Does oil disentegrate latex?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JPK said:
Have you checked if Auto Zone or the like has a generic replacement that will fit it?
They said to park the car and get one from the dealership :rolleyes:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all4glh said:
One word, condoms. :D
Ok this is my plan, i found a cap for a tiki pole that will fit with some room to spare. Now I'm gonna go get some high quality $.99 store condoms ad wrap them around it. I think it should work nicely till i get the replacement cap. Hopefully the condoms wont melt. I think i'll i stick them in the oven at 400 degrees for a while to be sure. :D But if this doesn't work i'll need another idea so keep 'em comin ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just so you know, in a pinch, any oiil cap from a saab to a cavalier with an ecotec motor uses the same size oil cap, all the part numbers being the same except the saab unit (high pressure yellow euro style cap) the only difference in the redline cap is that it has the mobil 1 logo on it.

·
I
7,838 Posts
I was seriously kidding about the condom thing, don't do it it will either break or melt that shit into the motor. I know you don't want to hear to park it, but if you are willing to risk the well being of the motor just to drive it for 3 days then that is on you. Good luck

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I say if you use a condom, atleast try to stroke the ego of your car and use a Magnum :D On a serious note though, have you tried using another cap that will atleast fit? I'm thinking you can do a hard target search through all lawnmowers and all other items with an oil cap. Oh and make sure you clean the cap you decide to use until your replacement gets there. Best advice though is to see if you can telecommute to work for the next few days......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts