Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case you were wondering, the Fram oil filter for our cars does indeed suck. It has much less filtering area than the OEM filter and isn't put together nearly as well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a year of oil changes from the dealer, so There will be an OEM filter on there for a while... after that it will be a bosch. I run a bosch on any vehicle I perform an oil change.

Just personal preference.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
slt said:
Just in case you were wondering, the Fram oil filter for our cars does indeed suck. It has much less filtering area than the OEM filter and isn't put together nearly as well.
No offense, but are you POSITIVE it's the right one, I'm almost certain that mine looked identical to the stock one I replaced... I'm pretty sure it was a FRAM one... maybe I bought a better one or something?

Maybe they sell another one that fits the engine that's smaller? The more I read my statements, the more dumb they sound...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sp00ner said:
No offense, but are you POSITIVE it's the right one, I'm almost certain that mine looked identical to the stock one I replaced... I'm pretty sure it was a FRAM one... maybe I bought a better one or something?

Maybe they sell another one that fits the engine that's smaller? The more I read my statements, the more dumb they sound...
Yep. There are less pleats, they're not as tall, and if you look at it from the top, you can see that they are not as thick either.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Sp00ner said:

Whats the part number of the filter you use? I am coming up on my first oil change and want to make sure I get the right one. Is there a specific "synthetic" filter that we need? I know when I had my Camaro SS, I had to use Mobile 1 oil filter. I want the best one for the car, dont really car about how much it costs.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i have used OEM, FRAM, and NAPA gold... and from now on i will be going with the NAPA gold it looked just like the oem filter and it was cheaper(for me)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I've never liked fram filters. I used it on my last oil change but it was because it was the only one I could find. I should have just went to the dealership and got one. That's what I will be doing from now on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fram = Poop

Ive worked at autozone and advance auto and have been told many fram tales from the glue falling apart and the filter not holding under pressure. die fram die

·
Registered
683 Posts
I used a fram on my 350, when I changed it out it shook like a maraca. Rattled around, piece of crap. And i concur NAPA gold rocks. Highest quality I have ever seen and suprisingly cheap.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Blubatmobile said:
Whats the part number of the filter you use? I am coming up on my first oil change and want to make sure I get the right one. Is there a specific "synthetic" filter that we need? I know when I had my Camaro SS, I had to use Mobile 1 oil filter. I want the best one for the car, dont really car about how much it costs.
Go buy one from your dealer. Shouldn't cost that much, that's pretty much what I do...

Tom

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just FYI: NAPA Gold filters (oil, air, fuel, etc) are all WIX brand filters, just under the NAPA name...which, if you're a NASCAR fan, you'll know that's what most of all major race teams use.

They're also cheaper than the OEM ACDelco filters.

Better filtration, better price. Works for me.

Oh, and there are no special filters made just for synthetic oil.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Ya know what, I think I did buy the Mobil oil filter... now I'm gonna have to look at the box. I seem to remember thinking "Well, might as well make it Mobil across the board." So much for my Fram idea...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I run fram's on my moms Grand Prix GT and I put em on my dads old 2000 Grand Am, but not on my S once I started autocrossing it and never on the Camaro or the Redline. Dunno what the nissan has on it since I have put les than 100 miles on it since I got it and it came freshly changed..........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts